Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have a good reason to bump this thread. A KYB SM5664 strut mount failed as I was torquing down one of the two brake caliper bolts on the right side. The bearing simply popped out and pulled away from the rubber cushion. It came off together with the steel cup it was pressed into, so it was this cup which broke away from the rubber. As a result, I found the top end of the strut (of course still fastened to the bearing through the inner race) clunking loose inside the remaining outer portion of the mount. The part box said "Made in Thailand". It seems KYB-branded mounts are outsourced and not as close to OE parts as their struts.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Hmm... I'm getting ready to put new struts at all 4 corners, and grabbed the tophats from KYB at the same time at shocks.com. Suppose I'll send them back in this case... Not sure that I need them at all. Suppose keeping the OEM ones in there is probably better than putting in new ones that won't last.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Do not use them, you aren't even saving all that much, especially given the amount of work it takes to redo the strut. OE mounts can be found for under $50 each + shipping.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I've been having issues finding reasonably priced OE parts lately. All my go-tos seem to have raised prices. Heurberg and quirkparts. Ebay had it for that price though (OEM).

Thanks for the push!

Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
OEM Part Number

Do not use them, you aren't even saving all that much, especially given the amount of work it takes to redo the strut. OE mounts can be found for under $50 each + shipping.
Does anyone have the OEM part number available? Would rather go OEM if they aren't overpriced like the struts and cv axles. TIA

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the reference.

If you or anyone needs information from the Factory Service Manual, I can upload pictures of specific sections. Purchased the manual from eBay a couple years ago and it is full of information. More instructions than pictures though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts