Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 B9 Tribeca has been relatively issue free for the 2+ years we have owned it. However, within the last week my wife could not open the door and disable the alarm with the key FOB. Of course she called me at work in a panic and I told her to just unlock the car the old fashioned way and start the engine. Her call to the dealer confirmed my recommendation and after she got the car running she stopped in at the dealer to have the battery replaced in the remote. However, since then the problem keeps reoccuring where the remote will not lock or unlock the car and disable the alarm. However, after driving for a while it seems ok on the next stop. Obviously it isn't the remote battery going dead and because it still works generally I was wondering if anyone thinks it is not operating on a clear frequency or something?

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The few times my wife and I were together when this happened and we tried both remotes with no response. The situation that happened today was that my wife took the car out for an errand in the morning and it worked fine then. When she came home and parked in the driveway and locked it with the remote. About a half hour later we both went out to leave and neither remote worked. We unlocked it with the key and started the engine to cancel the alarm. We drove to our destination and the remotes worked to lock and unlock when we left the car and returned an hour later.

completely weird?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That is odd and will be tough for the dealer to replicate. I wonder if the fob isn't making good contact with the battery. Unfortunately, there is no red LED light on the fob to indicate it is sending out a signal.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Magic Marker said:
That is odd and will be tough for the dealer to replicate. I wonder if the fob isn't making good contact with the battery. Unfortunately, there is no red LED light on the fob to indicate it is sending out a signal.
Since both FOB's are doing it, I find it highly unlikely they are bothing experincing the same obscure phenomena. My guess is it's in the receiver or something tied to the receiver circuit.

Greg, does this happen anywhere other then home? Could it be electronic interfeaince from the garage door opener or some other electronic device in close proximity (Wifi router close to the garage or anything?)?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Personally, I seem to have a hard time pressing the buttons right. Maybe I'm pressing them too hard. But there are times when I have to repeatedly press the door or truck buttons to get it to chirp. Yet I can hand the keys to my wife and it chirps right away. Either I need to eat my Wheaties or my fingers lack the necessary dexterity to work the FOB.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had this issue with my 08 all in one remote. Actually posted this on another thread. Went to the dealer and they said it worked but I told them that's the problem, it works when it wants to. So they basically replaced one of my keys under warranty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
anyone know how to disable the OEM alarm altogether?

no ones cares/ people are completely desensitized to car alarms anymore, it's completely stupid that OEMs keep installing them.

i bought a 2006 at an auction and only have the keys - no fob... i know i can buy one that works off ebay and program it myself for next to nothing but i have NO interest in this. i hate car alarms (and i live in the city!)

anyone know about this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts