Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 Tribeca
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone. I have been trolling this site long enough...time for my first post...lol. We have recently aquired a very nice 2006 Limited. The issue that I am having is it came with just n1 key and no key fob. I would really like to order a new fob but everywhere that i have checked online says that i need to know if the fob was made in mexico or japan. How can I find out this info without having the original fob? I would hate to spend 20-50 bucks and have it be the wrong one...lol.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
06 Tribeca
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what are your goals and abilities?
what research have you done?
At the moment all i want is to have the factory keyless entry and alarm to work. In the future i will be installing an aftermarket remote start/alarm system when funds allow. I am an auto technician so I can do just about anything needed.
I have been to a few sites that sell the fobs and all have said the same thing, that a fob made in Mexico will not work on a Japanese system and vice versa. I really don't want to go to the stealership if I can get one online for 20 bucks.:confused:

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
474 Posts
you haven't provided picture of what you have.
you haven't opened it and didn't try to read - is there made in china or made in mexico or some kind of IDs
you haven't tried to find partnumbers to start looking
you haven't tried to google for writeups about differences in fobs and how to spot them...

I spent, literally, 3minutes in google:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cartalk/comments/bxmxy1 Subaru Key Fob, Keys, and Remotes | ReplaceMyRemote.com - different kinds of fobs and keys with descriptions

from this information (if I had that issue) I would have plenty to start from...
but you are afraid to spend 20bucks trying to solve YOUR problem :D

·
Registered
06 Tribeca
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was mistaken. I had thought that made in Mexico or Japan referred to the fob itself, not the car. I read up on the forum link you provided, which i did not find during my searches, and realized that. Thank you for your help Flat6er, it is much appreciated. (y)

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
474 Posts
haven't heard that Tribecas were made in Japan... though, on other hand... Australia get her subarus from Japan. and they had Tribecas...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts