Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here haul a kayak on their Tribeca? I'm planning to buy two 10' kayaks next month and haul them on top of my OEM aero cross-bars.

I have a few questions:

1. A friend gave me his old Subaru (Yakama) kayak rack, which consists of a pair of upside down U brackets. He now uses "J" racks instead, because his shoulder is prone to dislocate -- and has done so trying to secure his kayak with the old rack. Is this old rack worth using? It doesn't have any padding and essentially allows the kayaks to rest on their sides on the vehicle cross-bars.

2. Should I even consider hauling kayaks 10 hrs. on I-95 from DC to NY? Alternatively, I'm considering ordering them for pickup in NY, where I primarily or solely plan to use them.

3. Any tips for tying these things down? I saw a Blazer at a park today with a J rack and the OEM cross-bars were bent down halfway to the roof. Should I be concerned about damaging my vehicle like that?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
630 Posts
i have kayaks..never put them on my B9..i want to but i dont have a rack and dont want to scratch the car..i use straps from HomeDepot that are adjustable and can be made as tight as you want so really the kayak is "glued" to my car, so if you buy good straps you should be fine..10hrs..? might be alittle noisy but if you got strong straps then you should be fine..i dont know much about racks tho

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up purchasing two sets of Yakima Hullraiser Aero kayak racks and I am glad I did. These are the exact same racks sold by Subaru, but I got them a little cheaper at REI. My 9-hour drive to the Adirondacks with two kayaks was uneventful. The kayaks stayed put and the car performed perfectly (no gear searching up the mountains, etc.). The Subaru aero cross-bars (which I previously installed) also worked flawlessly. They are a perfect match with the Yakima aero racks.

For folks who plan to haul their kayak, you will find tow hooks on both sides of the car under the front bumper. I crossed each of the bow lines to the opposite side tow hook. I don’t know where you would tie off the stern lines without a rear hitch. I previously installed a class III hitch and the chain hooks are in the perfect location for tying off the stern.

In the future I plan to buy four carabiners to replace the S hooks that come with the Yakima racks. The S hooks are prone to be lost (I already misplaced one).

I should also note that it was 105 degrees when I began the trip and it didn’t get much cooler until we hit upstate NY. I was impressed that the temperature gauge never nudged upward, even with the heat and the fully loaded cabin and roof. I changed the oil when I got home (at my regular 3k change interval, 7k miles on the car) and noticed it was on the “L” mark on the dipstick. That was not the case at my 1k or 4k oil changes. I’m going to chalk this up to the heavy use and see what it does over the next 3k.

New England seems to be the home of the Tribeca -- they were all over the place.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Reviving old thread.

Looking for some help. I have two kayaks one 11' and one 8' long. I have been using Thule bars and a saddle type carrier for the long boat and the Thule equivalent of the Hullraiser for the short boat.

I want to take the boats on top the Beca to Florida on the autotrain. The problem is height restrictions of 88 inches overall car and cargo on Amtrak. If I can find the right set-up to carry both boats side by side (horizontal) in saddle type carriers I would be under the 88".

Does anyone out there have this set-up in place? If so can you tell me what Carriers and bars are you using? Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Okay after much searching on the net I ordered the Thule Slipstream Carrier for the long boat and the Thule Glide and Set saddles for the short boat. I already have the 58" Thule bars and Crossroads. I will see if these fit side by side and allow two boats to be carried horizontally. I just received them today so once I have everything mounted I will take a picture. If my measurements are right it should fit.

Pricey though, I will have $800+ in this racking when all said and done.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I've been shocked at the cost of after market mass produced car racks. But at least the carriers should transfer to any rack in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.