Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I just bought a used Tribeca Limited with 45k miles on it. It drives really well and I'm hoping to use it past 200k miles. I got it from Enterprise car sales, it's my 2nd purchase from them and they're wonderful - no pressure, good prices on their cars, and they give you kbb on your trade-in!

I heard some faint thuds during my test drive and they replaced the sway bar links and bushings to resolve it the next day. I also found out that the front struts were replaced previously.

Some of the other information that I got from them indicated that a few other things were changed before they sold it to me, they were labelled:

cycl and arm assembly
Gear box assembly

Can someone venture a guess as to what these items are? I find that they really stand by their cars and I'm just curious about those items.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magic Marker said:
Congrats on the purchase!
Thank you! The tribeca is great and we're really happy about it. I've been reading through the sb9t forums and I'm happy to see the level of enthusiasm and support this community has for it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't say with any degree certainty, but I'm guessing that "cycl and arm assembly" may be one of the control arm assemblies. That seems to make sense since they did some other work on the suspension.

Gear box assembly means replacement transmission to me. But, they may not have been very descriptive about some work they did short of that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got had my mechanic do his own inspection and he found that there was a new steering rack, new inner and outer tie rods, and they confirmed the new sway bar links and struts. So the 'gearbox assembly' was the steering gearbox.

He says that's good for me since it's all new, but it would be good to know as well why they needed to be replaced in the first place. A quick google search didn't yield any common steering related problems with the Tribeca, so I hope it's not anything to worry about. I did buy a 36k mile/ 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty, so if there is anything wrong, I hope it surfaces before then!

On a side note, my mechanic and one of his technicians did two test drives because they both wanted to see what the drive was like. They were impressed and said that it drove and rode well and that they found it to be really peppy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glad to hear you had your mechanic look at it. I am not aware of any common suspension/steering problems other than sway bar bushings and struts needing to be replaced earlier than the norm.

Whatever the reason for the replacement parts, it sounds like the car is in good shape now and you'll enjoy getting 200k out of it. Since your mechanic was under the car and didn't notice any frame damage/repairs, etc., that should give you comfort. Keep an eye on your tire wear, which may tell you if something is off.

Congrats on your new car. I think they handle like a much smaller vehicle and I continue to be impressed with the torque of the boxer engine.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Welcome! sounds good and nothing to worry about hopefully. the bushings are a common part of the tribeca/ awd cars they need to be repalced and you know when that time comes when you here thumping from the front end

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the welcome.

I'm glad I recognized the front end thump before I drove off the dealer lot. It's a common problem as well on my 06 Saturn Vue, where I replaced both struts, sway bar links, and strut mounts.

I haven't driven more than 150 miles on it yet but i'm looking forward to my next long trip.

Now my next challenge is to go through a few more threads here and find the applicable fix for a rattle that I've just started to hear in the rear!

·
Registered
630 Posts
that too, sadly, is a common issue. You can bring it to a Subaru dealer and see if they can fix it, some can, some act as if your crazy... but i believe it just needs exta seal around the back door, someone on her did that and it worked. temporarily if you put a rag or towel and shut the door on it and also solves the issue which concludes that the door needs thicker seal.. i would go to your dealer or something like that?

·
Registered
152 Posts
jg-ct said:
So the 'gearbox assembly' was the steering gearbox.

He says that's good for me since it's all new, but it would be good to know as well why they needed to be replaced in the first place. A quick google search didn't yield any common steering related problems with the Tribeca, so I hope it's not anything to worry about. I did buy a 36k mile/ 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty, so if there is anything wrong, I hope it surfaces before then!

I have an 07' Limited as and had this done recently. I took the car in under warranty for the bushings, but they said there was still a small road noise that wasn't normal when going over bumps. They used the electronic ears to pinpoint the problem and found it to be coming from the steering rack. On the repair paper I got they said it was .02 out past the spec limits, so the replaced the whole assembly. I personally didn't notice any steering issues before that and only took it in because of the bushing issues. Since it was all under warranty I didn't mind getting free parts and work done.

Figured I'd chime in since you were wondering about yours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awd_envy - Thanks for the response! I'm glad i'm not alone in it and that it probably wasn't the result of some sort of misuse or strange accident.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use a rubber net/matt (it's supposed to be used for kitchen drawers or shelf lining) instead of a towel before I shut the rear hatch. This takes care of the rattle completely.

I've had partial success with putting some rubber tubing insulation (meant for house windows) between the rubber seals by the latch area. It doesn't rattle as much, but it doesn't totally resolve it. I'm going to put some more over the weeked to to see.

·
Registered
630 Posts
ok let me know. I put a towel and it solves it pretty much completly and im able to apprecitate the quiet ride quality! only thing is my towel sometimes sticks out of the hatch so thats a little annoying LOL. does your mat stick out?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes, the rubber mat does stick out sometimes when I don't take the time to line it up properly. I've been experimenting, here's what I've found so far:

1. placing the mat over the latch and most of the bottom - completely eliminates the rattle, even when its not sticking out.

2. placing the mat on either side of the latch and not covering it, partially, ALMOST, but not quite eliminates the sound.

I'm going to fold over the rubber mat and see if it works any better.

let me know if you've found a better way.

·
Registered
630 Posts
oh that sounds good. i noticed that too. when i put the rag around the whole bottom of the tailgate its not as effective but when its more over the black metal latch its much better but sometimes the door wont close so its harder :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
This whole thing is dissapointing. I haven't even gotten the car yet, and I'm reading about folks stuffing rags under the hatchback? This is a $38,000 car! Subaru won't fix this? WTF!

·
Registered
630 Posts
it is.. but it is fixable you can go to a dealer and some care and some dont like all car dealers. but like all cars this a major flaw

·
Registered
42 Posts
jg-ct: I bought a used 2010 Tribeca with 50k miles. Within the dealer 3 mos warranty, they automatically also replaced the steering rack & pinion. Said leaking bushing. I too can find no known problem of this.
Also had front sway bar bushings replaced due to thumps when go over bumps. But after about 5k miles that is back. New ones too loose I suspect. Have not experienced rattle in rear, but jack etc is set in foam and along with my road tools, I expect some rattle just to reaffirm they are there if I should need them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts