Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

bought an 07 Tribeca on an (credit crunch induced) auction three weeks ago!

To be honest, I did not know much about the B9 at all when the bidding started. The car did not get very good writeups from the local car mags in South Africa, sighting sluggish performance and ugly looks... I got it at a good price, and am very happy so far. Great family car (3 kids here). Seems to be heavy on fuel though...

The previous owner fitted some after market exhaust system that I think this forum may be interested in. Let me know. It sounds delightful - she really thunders when I drive the revs up past the 6k rpm mark.

Performance I feel is excellent, (might be the free flow contributing?) and I actually think that she is a stunning vehicle. Much prefer the front to the 08 3.6 model as this one has a distinctive and aggressive grill, something that I feel the designers should have continued on.

I'll be in touch.

Andries

·
Registered
552 Posts
:wave: Welcome aboard...there really are quite a few international members here.

"Sounds" like a good deal that you got an aftermarket exhaust...I'd be curious to hear it. Most likely it's a custom job since we haven't seen anything here in the US. Custom exhausts aren't that expensive at all, it's really just taking a chance on the sound:)

I too prefer the older grill to the new style...like you said, much more distinctive looking.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow, didn't even realize you could get a B9 in South Africa. Welcome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MM. Yes, Subaru has a bit of a cult following locally. Lots of guys swear by them.

Also - one of the matters of great importance in SA is backup support. We are a big net exporter of cars - VW, BMW, Toyota are all assembled locally. (Subi's are imported.) As such, those brands provide reasonable support (though VW is notoriously bad).

I am still driving an (imported) 01 Volvo XC70, which now, on 167000Km needs a second gearbox change (first on 140 000). Volvo for instance are extremely expensive to maintain here due to their marketshare that is small. Subaru has a similar marketshare, but I must say that my interaction with the local agents has been positive. They clearly love their brand and it shows in their commitment at service time.

Cheers
Andries

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snork - I'll try and video record and upload for you. Will probably be in 09 though as I am leaving on a EOY holiday on Friday. Looking forward to about 4000 km in the B9.

·
Registered
552 Posts
TWO trannies died in 167k km in your Volvo? That's rediculous...that's only about 100k miles.

It's interesting that a lot of cars are made locally in SA, I would never have guessed that any of those companies would have factories in Africa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big business

Hi Snork,

Yes - big business for the right hand drive markets. Lots of the manufacturers choose to build in SA due to low cost base and strong engineering practices. We have massive factories for Mercedes Benz, GM (Opel brand strong), BMW, VW, Toyota. Even Ford and Mazda have small plants, and some of the Koreans are also assembling some parts of their vehicles. Obviously, like yourselves (US), we are concerned for this industry as many people are employed by it

On the Volvo issue - my vehicle was just outside of maintenance plan when the 1st tranny blew up and now, just outside of the 1 year warranty of the second one... PAINFUL though it is, I will not make the same mistake again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the info on the exhaust. I'm sure a lot of members here will be interested in the specifics on that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fellow Joburg-er ;-)

I have been on the forum for couple of days and it is great to see that there is a fellow South African in here sharing his positive experice.
I am keen to find out more regarding the local service ( assuming vehicle bought and serviced in Johannesburg) I am currently looking at purchasing ( my wife that is) the 2007-early 2008 Tribeca B9.
Haven't quite convinced her that the car is indeed a better buy than the Nissan Murano , Mazda CX 7 and the like in that price range.
I do love the space and value the Tribeca offers but not sure about the resale and aftersales experience. Though having said that my wife who is a Mercedes driver has had lousy service from MB dealers in the last 3-4 years.
Is there anything that is particilary notorious on those cars and I should watch out for naturaly an year old car will have 20-25,0000 km ( 15-17,000 miles) but that way I would avoid the huge depreciation that plagues all new cars. Also the service and maintenance plan is not like most other cars sold here 100,000 but rather 66000 could be an issue should the car proove to be a lemon ;-)

Cheers and any comments in guiding me are appreciated

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome vescomilkov!

Subarus in general are pretty reliable cars. Their engines and tranny setups are tried and true...nothing crazy (other than the STi;) )

I can't speak for dealer service/warranty in South Africa, but here in the USA the dealers are avg to above avg and we get 36,000 mi bumper-to-bumper and 50,000 mi powertrain warranties which is also typical for Japanese brands.

As for typical problems, I haven't heard of anything widespread common to Tribecas. Although it has only existed as a model going on 3 yrs now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Morning Vescomilkov,

2 things: 1. A Murano will depreciate much more. That is a guarantee - not too mention that you cannot mention it in the same breath in terms of what the car provides. Sure - it is nice to look at, but boy - this Subaru is awesome.

2. You can extend the warrenty up to 5year/ 160 000 with Motorite. Mine is extended to 5y/100K, and it is pretty cheap if you do it at time of purchase. I can assure you though - this car is just about bullet proof. You will also not find better service from any brand in SA - maybe BMW is close, but they really care at both Bryanston and Midrand Subaru.

Also - (for your wife), I wrote a reader review on http://www.wheels24.co.za that will be published tomorrow morning. Have a read, but I am sure that this will assist in convincing her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great feedback thanks guys

Much appreciated I am looking forward to the review also I never though of Mororite Insurance that is great option I will contact I feel for the money there probably isn't much in terms of unique looks , quality, space and hopefully it won't depreciate too much further.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Motorite actually underwrites the std Subaru plan - so you will essentially be extending the std plan.

Also - I have posted the review in the lounge section on this board.

Cheers and good luck
Andries

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for your help Andries I will follow up with Mororite now does R300,000 ( Yeah I know the guys in the States will say what $30k is crazy ;-) for low mileage 2007 ( 25,000km) sound too much I just can't believe how much those have depreciated. (List price here R450,000 or around $45,000 US
Andries you bought on auction was it benefitial.

V.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buying on Auction is scary to be honest! But it turned out really well. I would say a fair price in SA for that spec (ie really low mileage) should be between 270 and 300K max. For 300K I would look for extras such as Towbar, PDC. Also - CHECK the tires! They are expensive. In this market you can be picky...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts