Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Is this the end? Cranks, but won't start.

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Flat6er 
#1 ·
I need help repairing my 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca. It lost power while driving several months ago. It has 256,000 miles on it. After a tow, mechanic said it has good oil and gas pressure and is likely an electrical issue. The engine turns over, but does not start. Mechanic estimated 1-2 thousand dollars’ worth of repairs, so I did not proceed further. For over a year, it had been reporting an engine misfire. I tested all spark plugs and coils and could not find any issues. I briefly posted it for sale, but considering the current car market, I would like to explore more options for inexpensive repair. Can anyone help? Please advise, thank you!

#2 ·
it would be interesting to try to repair it over internet :D
1) where are you located?
2) do you have kkl-line cable or tactrix?
3) do you have laptop?
4) do you have at least some kind of elm327 or other obdII reader?

p.s. if you have GOOD obd2 reader - ECU has misfire counters for each cylinder... so, again - if the reader is good - you might be able to easily pinpoint cylinder with misfire. but apart from that - no start will be different story.
p.p.s. possible issues - valve problems in some cylinder/s, fuel supply system....

#3 ·
I would check the crank and cam position sensors and make sure you are getting spark. You said you tested them, but how. Did you get spark with them on the car. You will need to remove the coil and insert a spark plug in the end. Have someone crank the engine and see if you have spark at the plug.

#5 ·
Flat6er and Jefferson, thanks for getting back to me.

1) Kalamazoo, Michigan
2) no kkl-line cable or tactrix
3) yes, I have a laptop
4) just found my Foxwell NT301 OBDII reader.
7 codes:
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Low,
P0456 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak)...this one I have been getting since I first got my code reader 2 years ago
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire (this one I was after for a long time and could never eliminate)
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High

Just for shits and giggles I turned the key again 15 minutes ago and she chugged for about 6 seconds before dying.

When I was trying to elminate #3 misfire a good 12 months ago, I moved coils around and rechecked codes and every time it gave me #3, no more no less.

What's next?

I'm no mechanic, just trying to squeeze a few more miles out of the family truckster. Thanks again for your help.

#6 ·
Flat6er and Jefferson, thanks for getting back to me.

1) Kalamazoo, Michigan
2) no kkl-line cable or tactrix
3) yes, I have a laptop
4) just found my Foxwell NT301 OBDII reader.
7 codes:
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Low,
P0456 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak)...this one I have been getting since I first got my code reader 2 years ago
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire (this one I was after for a long time and could never eliminate)
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High

Just for shits and giggles I turned the key again 15 minutes ago and she chugged for about 6 seconds before dying.

When I was trying to elminate #3 misfire a good 12 months ago, I moved coils around and rechecked codes and every time it gave me #3, no more no less.

What's next?

I'm no mechanic, just trying to squeeze a few more miles out of the family truckster. Thanks again for your help.
Please update your signature or profile to show model year. Forum rule.

#7 ·
@Joseph HA. I am flying to Kalamazoo on 25th and will be there few days - so... I don't know will it be useful, but I can come around :D

4) sounds like good reader.
first and last error - my guess would be that there is some wiring issues to MAF sensor (it has temperature sensor built in).
evap leak is not an issue right now.
4.1) question - did your code reader show count for those misfires in cylinders?

4.2) I would take all spark plugs out and check them. color, gap. etc. preferrably - put them all inline and take a picture. (and document - which is from which cylinder).

x) how much fuel you have in tank? and how fresh it is?

would it be possible to record video of starting her up and those few seconds of her working?
p.s. if you haven't - you can find online FSM for your car (factory service manual) - you might get some info there ;)

#8 ·
P0456 - probably won't help with your no start, but a lot of time this code is from a poor seal with the gas cap, although with your other issues its probably something more serious . See if there is corrosion at the top of your filler neck (where you screw on your gas cap), it may be causing the issue, or it may be the cap seal has deteriorated. A quick dirty check is to put some fuel resistant lubricant around the neck and on the seal under the cap, clean any corrosion first, then clear the error on the code reader, and see if it comes back...(if you can get it started)

#9 ·
Removing spark plugs from #5 and #6 is a pain in the butt. Why so little space?!?

#3 three is oily. Uhoh? This machine is too far gone for a head gasket replacement, the mechanic said its not even close to worth it.

All the plugs look terrible, but they are all only about a year old Bosch iridium. Why?

Lots of corrosion inside the coils. Why?

Could this terrible looking 3/4 severed ground wire I noticed on the passanger side, bottom of the engine block have anything to do with it?

Nothing looks amiss around the gas funnel, but thanks for the suggestion.

Checked that tiny circuit on the ECU, doesn't look separated, not that I trust myself to mess with it and not completely ruin ECU.

New coils and connectors arrive tomorrow. I'ma giver a go. Good thing I don't work til next Wednesday.

My wife says my new hobby is fixing the Tribeca. She says she thinks I'll get it to run for just one more month. My daughter bet no. Did I mention I drove this thing from Michigan to Mexico City and back two years ago?

Quick poll: replace the plugs money well spent at this point? Recommendations?

You folks rock. Tribeca strong.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Font
Wood Rectangle Red Toy Engineering
Paint Wood Font Rectangle Gas
Paint Gas Font Magenta Metal
Wood Paint Line Art Gas
Paint Wood Gas Tints and shades Art
Product Font Paint Lipstick Gas
Brick Gas Tints and shades Cylinder Machine
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Font

Attachments

#10 ·
sorry for delayed response - but yeah. good thing to start with would be plugs and coils.

1) before putting it all in - try to measure compression in cylinders. at least some harbor freight thingie. (not to spend much money on potentially dead end)

2) https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-UNIOJO-Borescope-Waterproof-Semi-Rigid/dp/B07DGC1KGC/ - check cylinders with camera... may be there is some valve issues.

#11 ·
wow, those plugs look terrible for only being a year old! all that soot is what is causing the misfires...
  • what is the model # of the plugs you are using? make sure they are the right size & temp range. when i did plugs i dropped in NGKs because 'subaru six cylinders can be finicky with spark plug brands' (internet lore, probably)
  • when was the last time the o2 sensors were changed? if they are junk your air/fuel ratios are going to be off
  • is the motor consuming oil? ::double checks pictures:: how much oil is the motor consuming? 256k miles is a fair amount, you may have enough wear in the heads that oil is getting into the chambers :(
  • 1/3/5 all share the same bank (passenger side in the US), so worth checking for an intake/exhaust leak. any idea the last time the exhaust system was gone over? also there is an issue with the plastic cracking on the intake manifold - posted a few places on this site
the laminations on the coils are iron so once the paint goes they are going to rust like crazy. do they salt the roads where you are at?

also, the grounding strap is definitely worth fixing - the weaker your engine ground the weaker the spark

#12 ·
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Cut off and sold the cats today. Moving on. Thanks for everyone that posted and gave advice and how-tos on this site, much obliged.

Anyone need parts off of a silver '06? Everything but the cats currently available. I am located in Kalamazoo, MI.

Can anyone advise me as to where else I should post besides marketplace to find buyers for parts? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.