Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is K&N air filter worth it? Tribeca B9 part number 33-2304. About $48

·
Registered
139 Posts
immortal_suby said:
only if you like more dirt in your engine and less money in your wallet.
I've run K&N on the last three vehicles (Saab 900, Saab 9-3, and my WRX...can't get enough of that turbo, hehe) and have seen no evidence of increased contaminants making it TO the filters, let alone THROUGH them.

This is one of those decisions where you can find ten people to tell you that it's great, and another ten to tell you that it's a bad decision.

Upside is that you'll get better throttle response, better gas mileage, and more HP. Downside is that "better" means "maybe 5% on all the above," and you need to make sure that you clean it at the proper intervals to ensure that schmutz doesn't accumulate and restrict airflow. Upside is that it'll make your engine sound just a wee bit meaner (or maybe that's a downside,) and the filter is the last one you'll have to buy. Downside is that it's fifty bucks.

I vote yes, but that's just me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's an independent test of a number of different filters showing K&N letting a bunch of dirt through.

It's your choice, but make it an informed decision if you plan on keeping your tribeca for a long time.

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

You can do a simple test yourself. Put a dab of grease somewhere between the filter and the throttle in your intake tube with a stock filter, see how much dirt is on it in a week. Do the same with a K&N.

·
Registered
139 Posts
K&N, oiled foam, either one will allow your engine a less-restricted inhale.

Regardless of brand and technology preference (K&N, Amsoil, oiled gauze, oiled foam), less-restricted intake = greater performance and efficiencly than more-restricted intake.

Here's another battery of tests comparing the performance of various filters. These are done using a naturally-aspirated Mazda Miata, resulting in a more accurate analog of our Tribecas' naturally-aspirated engines.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

·
Registered
54 Posts
If the air filter is the restriction you would see a performance gain. But the stock paper filter is large and flows more than enough air.

In the 183 CID 3.0L motor at the 4200 rpm peak torque we need 222 cfm.
In the 220 CID 3.6L motor at the 4400 rpm peak torque we need 280 cfm.

Which the stock paper filter at it's size is more than capable of flowing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Here's my take on the K&N filter (mind you I have one in my Accord). The "performance" and "MPG" claims are total horsesh!t. The real reason to get a washable air filter IMHO is to save money in the long run (no matter which brand you choose). I have 200k miles on my 2003 Accord, would have cost me a fortune in paper filters since I'm a heavy driver.

Since our Tribeca is the weekend car, I haven't bothered since we don't go crazy on the miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts