Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching the web today and came across this new kit...
H621SFG500
Its an iPod integration kit for the 09 forester...

Does anyone know if this could some how work with our Tribecas?

Was reading someplace that it connects through the XM/Serius Plug in the headunits...If this is the case it could possibly connect to the Tribecas headunit in the same fashion

·
Registered
1 Posts
Might night be much help but... I bought this item for my 08 Legacy Limited and it plugged right into the XM and it works just fine. I'm currently debating picking up a 06 B9 limited and the only thing thats keeping me from pulling the trigger is lack of ipod input.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I just found this for 07-09 Tribecas w/o navi.

Subaru is finally coming out with an iPod integration kit for Tribecas in late December.

New applications coming in late December:
  • 2007-09 Legacy and Outback without satellite radio
  • 2007-09 Tribeca without satellite radio & without rear seat entertainment (RSE)
http://www.subaru.com/ipod/index.jsp

·
Registered
552 Posts
Great...I have RSE and SAT radio:( I use the AUX input for my iPod, but a proper adapter would be nice although we rarely use it with the variety readily available on XM.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Now we need to figure out how to get it to work in the 06 model. I'm wondering if it's a different integrated head unit than the 07-09. Still, it may very well be my next challenge :)

-Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
119 Posts
Could someone upload some photos of the components and/or instructions to this product? I want to see if it's feasible to use with an '06 and a newer iPhone 3G. I know the description says "no" but that hasn't stopped me yet :)

-Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ok. I had the kit installed in our 07. Works just fine. I had the dealer install it for me since they had the dash apart for warranty work. The display is fairly limited as it can only show one line of text. You have a choice of artist, song and playlist (from what I can remember). The text scrolls slowly if it can't show on the one line at one time. The iPod ends up in the lower larger arm rest compartment. Subaru thought this one out as they made the cord a decent length unlike my 08 Impreza; cord is so short and makes it difficult to connect the iPod. I'm running a 30GB iPod video and from what I can tell, it's being charged. It's also 15 degrees outside and I was surprised to see that the iPod fired right up when left out overnight. I thought the extreme cold would do something to it, but luckily no issues so far. So I think I am the only Tribeca out there w/ iPod integration! For now that is. I am definitely the first one that the dealer installed.

kmartin; sorry, I forgot to ask my dealer for the install instructions. Next time I stop by, I'll ask them if they can print me a copy of them.

Oh, pictures will follow, but it's too damn cold out right now.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
jamaitin said:
That would be the Subaru Parts Accessories # H621SFG501 IPOD INTERFACE
The parts department said that this is the correct part number for the iPod kit.

H621SXA200

At least that is the part number on my purchase/ install invoice. So I would go with that part number if your local dealer can't locate it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
lukem2000 said:
Does anyone know why this wont work with a rear entertainment system?
I am speculating here...the iPod kit likely uses the same pins/plugs on the back of the radio and/or navi screen that the RSE system uses, and therefore the plugs are already in use. All depends on the circuitry of the iPod interface, I would think. Someone could come up with a jumper or y-adapter that will allow this to work...of course you could try running bare jumper wiring but then you might run the risk of shorting out something, and then you'd be up Tribeca Creek without a Subaru paddle :)

-Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you don't mind sharing, how much did the part and installation run you? I've got some "Subaru Bucks" burning a hole in my pocket. :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
JimHam said:
If you don't mind sharing, how much did the part and installation run you? I've got some "Subaru Bucks" burning a hole in my pocket. :)
I had a coupon for my iPod kit and it ended up being ~$160. As far as labor, I was having some warranty work done on the dash board, so they cut me a deal since having the dash out was already half the work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the info! Sounds like you got a good deal arranging the install with your warranty work. Any chance you could post a picture or two of what the interface looks like when you've got the iPod hooked up? And can you use any of the steering wheel mounted buttons to control it?

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts