Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2008 beca about 2 weeks ago and I have a few questions:

1) Will it cost less to purchase the OEM parts online and then have it installed at the Subie dealer? or is it better to purchase and install at the dealer altogether?

2) I just spoke to my sales guy and asked him basically the above question if I wanted to install the OEM remote start. He told me it's better to go for aftermarket since its cheaper. As per MagicMarker's reply on an earlier post, since the key's are now chipped, they would need to hide the valet key in the car if I bought an aftermarket one, but the sales guy told me that they would still need to hide my valet key in the car with the head cut off even if I went for the OEM one. Any suggestions, does anyone else have the OEM installed w/o having to give up the valet key?

3) Has anyone installed an aftermarket HID kit for the beca?

Thnx for any info.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
1) Will it cost less to purchase the OEM parts online and then have it installed at the Subie dealer? or is it better to purchase and install at the dealer altogether?
Theoretically, yes. Online prices should be cheaper then dealer price, but you'd have to take shipping costs into consideration. Also should be getting a 20% accessory discount from SOA eventually. I've gotten mine already, but it took a few weeks after the B9 purchase. When I was talking to the owner of the dealership about puddle lights, I showed him the online price. He said he would sell me a set at dealer cost of $144. Is that dealer cost? IDK, but it was a few dollars cheaper then online so I got a good deal. Also the parts manager was cool when I picked up my all weather mats. I forgot my 20% discount coupon and he honored it anyway w/o it. I have to say I have a pretty damn good dealer (how often can someone say that?)

2) I just spoke to my sales guy and asked him basically the above question if I wanted to install the OEM remote start. He told me it's better to go for aftermarket since its cheaper.
It would be cheaper. Figure a standard aftermarket remote start + install would be about $150.

the sales guy told me that they would still need to hide my valet key in the car with the head cut off even if I went for the OEM one.
I don't think you're sales guy knows what he's talking about. We got our valet key back after install. They just needed all the keys so they could all be reprogrammed. If I get a chance, I'll call my dealer and ask.

does anyone else have the OEM installed w/o having to give up the valet key?
Yes. We have the OEM remote start and the original valet key.

3) Has anyone installed an aftermarket HID kit for the beca?
I think a few on here have done so. I'm not sure if the 08's have the DRL running through the low beams. If they do like the 06-07, you'll have to apply your parking brake every time in order to keep the DRL off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnx for all the info MM. After reading your post, I decided to call the service shop the dealership and ask them about having to give up the valet key for the remote start. He told me the same thing that the sales guy did, that I would lose my valet key if put in the remote start. If you could find out from your dealership for me that would be great!! Thnx.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ok, I called Wayne Subaru (where we bought the B9 and where all the accessories were installed). I spoke to the Parts Manager; Joe.

The OEM remote start kit for the B9 (B9 only), comes with a module that is a chip emulator so you don't have to hide the valet key in the car. All other Subies that don't have a kit must hide a key b/c they would be using an aftermarket kit.

SubieTri08, give Wayne Subaru (973) 835-4700a call if you rather go through them for the install. For all you know, you may get a better price. IMO, if your dealer is telling you the wrong info, they've never installed the OEM kit and you don't want them to use your car as a guinea pig.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been pricing the OEM auto start here in SJersey and the best price that I've gotten is $450 plus tax. Every other dealer comes in at mid $500s to mid $600s.

Wayne (90 minutes from me) comes in at $350s plus tax. Service guy did say he was installing an aftermarket one. As MM mentioned, decent aftermarket ones can start at $150s. You can speculate that this is a good reason why Wayne can offer it as a much lower rate, without sacrificing too much functionality. Dealer makes money, you spend less money, you get similar, warrantied product.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
njjuliano said:
I've been pricing the OEM auto start here in SJersey and the best price that I've gotten is $450 plus tax. Every other dealer comes in at mid $500s to mid $600s.

Wayne (90 minutes from me) comes in at $350s plus tax. Service guy did say he was installing an aftermarket one. As MM mentioned, decent aftermarket ones can start at $150s. You can speculate that this is a good reason why Wayne can offer it as a much lower rate, without sacrificing too much functionality. Dealer makes money, you spend less money, you get similar, warrantied product.
Ummm are you saying Wayne Subaru was selling an aftermarket kit for the B9? As far as I know, I have an OEM remote start.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Ummm are you saying Wayne Subaru was selling an aftermarket kit for the B9? As far as I know, I have an OEM remote start.
Yes. They have both. I even called back to confirm. On my second call, I asked specifically to clarify the difference between the OEM and the aftermarket, in terms of function, and was told that there isnt much difference. Possible that they have the aftermarket for the 06s or 08s, since when I reiterated that it was for the 07, he says that "I actually have the OEM for that one."

It's good that there are options outside of the OEM at the dealers.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
njjuliano said:
Yes. They have both. I even called back to confirm. On my second call, I asked specifically to clarify the difference between the OEM and the aftermarket, in terms of function, and was told that there isnt much difference. Possible that they have the aftermarket for the 06s or 08s, since when I reiterated that it was for the 07, he says that "I actually have the OEM for that one."

It's good that there are options outside of the OEM at the dealers.
Well I sure hope they installed the OEM remote start on my B9! I'm sure they did as the remote fob is exactly the same as the one in the OEM kits online.

But yes, when I spoke to the parts manager, he said that they installed aftermarket kits for Subie's w/o an OEM option.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I didn't opt for the remote start, but when I bought our B9 last week Bill Kolb, Jr Subaru offered the OEM system installed for $448+tax. That was their standard price on their flyer, not sure if they'd haggle down though.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If I remember correctly, when we negotiated price we only paid $225-$250 for the factory remote start. The dealer told us he was giving it to us at cost since we were so intereted in the B9.

At $550+ that is a dame expensive remote start from Kolb.

·
Registered
214 Posts
snork said:
I didn't opt for the remote start, but when I bought our B9 last week Bill Kolb, Jr Subaru offered the OEM system installed for $448+tax. That was their standard price on their flyer, not sure if they'd haggle down though.
Yep, that's pretty much the best price I've seen. Have not found anything less.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Honestly IMHO, if you want OEM...$450 isn't bad if you actually step back and think about it. Most Subaru parts places are selling the kit for $250+ and it will take atleast 2-3 hrs to do the install. I found a pdf of the install instructions and it's a genuine PITA. Like a dumby though I didn't bookmark the site and now I can't find them again:( I'm pretty handy and do a lot of my own car work/installs, and based what I had seen, it would probably take me 4 hrs to DIY.

If you bought the remote start when you purchased the car you could probably negotiate a better price, but to bring it in off the street as an accessory install its $175 (wholesale cost from what I've been able to determine) + install labor (atleast 1-2 hrs for someone that knows what they're doing). At a minimum that's about $300. If you don't wanna spend that much then by all means go aftermarket...plenty of good stuff for that much or less. IMO, I did not get the OEM starter b/c it's a separate fob from the locks which is way too bulky to carry around in my pants pocket. I'd much rather get an aftermarket w/ better range (so I can start the car from my office to the parking lot LOL) and a single combined fob. My bro-in-law got that funky starter/alarm combo w/ 2-way communication and the LCD display of your car for $500 installed at a local car audio store for his Grand Cherokee. I'd rather have something cool like that for 500 large:p And losing the valet key doesn't bother me IMHO, who the heck actually locks their glove box anyway?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree with your post. Its not bad for OEM, pricewise.

And I also have looked at the aftermarket ones. You certainly get much more for your money with them, with so much more features. I wish I can use my Subaru Bucks on those places.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you bought the remote start when you purchased the car you could probably negotiate a better price
I guess that is how we got such a good deal on our OEM remote start.

My bro-in-law got that funky starter/alarm combo w/ 2-way communication and the LCD display of your car for $500 installed at a local car audio store for his Grand Cherokee. I'd rather have something cool like that for 500 large:p And losing the valet key doesn't bother me IMHO, who the heck actually locks their glove box anyway?
I have one of those on my 04 Civic. My relative owns an aftermarket shop so I got my DEI for $300. It works well. The LCD display tells you what part of the car was tampered with and it confirms that the car has been remote started w/o having a direct line of site with the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts