Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all --

Has anyone installed an amatuer radio in the Tribeca? How did you run the wires from the engine compartment into the cab? Tips? Suggestions? If not an amatuer radio, how about anything else running off the battery?

Cheers!

Rue

·
Registered
29 Posts
Amateur radio

Hey Rue. I put a Yaesu dualbander in my '06 B9. It is a control head rig, I believe its a 7800 2m/70cm. I put the rig under the passenger seat and mounted the control head to the left of the shifter, parallel to my right thigh. Visability of the display is great, and the controls fall perfectly under my right hand. I used one of the cigarette outlets in the console, and put the wiring under and across the center console forward of the shift lever. I used an adhesive mic clip mounted left of and above the temp control. I've never blown a fuse in the power setup and the rig is rated at 50w. I used a lip mount for a Comet antenna on the rear hatch. I'll try to get some pix up. I bought the 7800 in Lodi, think they're discontinuing it probably for a different color display! The red numbers on the mic match the instrumentation of the B9 perfectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amatuer Radio reply

Rickep--

Thanks for your reply! Did you run the wires directly from the console socket or from the fuse box?

I noticed that I have a spare fuse slot labled "empty." I don't think I can use this, but was thinking to call the dealership to find out.

It is good to know you were successful. I am a little new at this.

Rue

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been looking for the fuseblock clips that let you tap into a fused outlet. These create a post you can easily push a connector onto, but these posts on the fuseblock are very narrow and the clips don't fit. I ran it into the cigarette outlet in the console waiting until I could find the narrow type clips....that was 2 years ago! I forgot to ask, but I assume you're not looking at an HF rig (100+ watts). That would probably best be done by a connect to the battery post. The link is to the clips I mentioned. Remember, these should probably be fused inline since they're off the hot post or sharing a circuit you won't want to trip. Still trying to get a few pix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120542643727&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=9b67fd091270a0aad2a67846ffcc2dc5&rvr_id=&ua=WVI8&itemid=120542643727

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amatuer Radio

That's correct, I am not looking at a HF radio. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Amateur radio

Hello again Rue, here are a few shots of my radio install. If you use the power outlets in the console, the biggest problem becomes where to mount the things. The body of the rig fits under the passenger seat, and the speaker on the rig body is ample for driving with the windows up, and around town driving with them down. Highway noise makes hearing it tough. As far as driver position goes there's not a whole lot there for mounting doodads. I have also inclyded a shot of the sat radio I installed. Hope these help.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is a grommit on the passenger side firewall that you can use to run the power wires to the battery.

See my photos and you can see my control head and antenna.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Autozone sells a very clean way to tap power. it replaces an existing fuse and allows you to put a new fuse connected to a pigtail and the old fuse back into the same spot. I think it is about ten dollars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Glenn. I'm going to check on Autozone for that tap in. I would only be looking to get to the fuseblock not the battery since the rig doesn't draw much power. I would love to clean things up in the armrest. How would/did you hook up onto the battery anyway? Theres a fuseable link on the pos I think...kinda busy on the pos post. Sweet install on the Kenwood dualbander! Nice to be able to cover it up in the console. The control head rigs are nice, I rarely have to take mine out, but its easy enough. My Yaesu is a single band display and a bit smaller. Is that antenna mounted through the roof?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help and Pics, Rickep.

Glen, I am not sure where you have pics posted. Your profile gallery does not have pics. Not sure what I am missing to see your install. Thanks-

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is usually fewer noise problems when you go to the battery. Also most cars have the min size wire they can get away with to reduce weight. Going directly to the battery reduces voltage drop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I always drill a hole and roof mount whenever possible. In this case the antenna is mounted just in front of the sat antenna.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Amatuer Radio Install

Glen--

I'll check it out. When I get into installing, I may have more questions. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ahhh theres the tap to solve the problem! Wow, $10, I'm in the wrong business, but I'm sure they're worth every penny in getting power to where you need it. Mostly use repeaters around here--no extended rag chewing so don't think I'm taxing the wire gauge that much and I only need medium power to hit the machines I use. I am gonna try one of these and reclaim use the outlet in the console fro phone/ipod, this looks good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Glenn, can you remove the radiator and cap it for car washes and such? I'm always worried with through body mounting and water. It must give a great transmit pattern up there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess that I am a cheap skate. When car washes exceeded $10 with tip, I decided to do it my self.

That said, there is a rain cap that you can purchase for MNO mounts to replace the antenna.

We have a detailer that comes by the shop that will wash for $20 but I would rather do it myself. Since I have a driveway its no big deal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.