Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have discovered that Subaru's can be purchased at a greatly reduced price from the US. So I imported a 2006 Tribeca....still has full warranty in Canada. I saved a bundle. My father will be importing one as well. The nav works well in Canada but I can't figure a way to convert the climate control numbers or outside temp numbers to Celcius. Not a huge deal though.

·
449 Posts
AFAIK you can't convert the temp reading. I think this was brought up before and I checked all over and could not find any way to do it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To give you an idea how much cheaper....my father's 5 passenger limited cost 34,000 Canadian while the same vehicle in Canada retails for $46,500. Car pricing hasn't followed the change in exchange rate. The Canadian dollar is way stronger than it was say 5 years ago...but car pricing has remained the in line with the old 1.5 exchange rate instead of the current 1.11 exchange rate.

No duty to import if the vehicle is made in the US and full warranty....although the local dealers may not be too happy to see a lot of imports.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just successfully imported my 5 passenger limited with navigation into Canada from the US, and saved over $15500 off the Canadian list price. Its actually a pretty easy process, a few small hoops to jump through, but definately worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just imported an 08 as well, and I love the vehicle.

I want to convert the imperial measurements (Miles US gallons, MPG, F...) to metric. Has anyone done this or is it possible?

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is possible, but you have to replace the instument cluster and get the ECU reprogrammed. Not that cheap, and not really worth it in my book. You'll also end up with a nice note in your carfax or history showing "odometer replaced" which will kill your resale value more than having the odometer in miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just joined the group, as I also just picked up my 07 Tribeca Limited last week from the US. Was surprised at how easy it all was, and probably saved myself a good $10-15K at the same time. Love the car! I'm used to doing the conversions to and from metric, so thats not that big of a deal.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
just joined the group too i i bought a tribeca 2008 limited in new-york and i saved almost 17K and really easy to import in canada and i love my tribeca hope you like yours too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
jackmil2182 said:
just joined the group too i i bought a tribeca 2008 limited in new-york and i saved almost 17K and really easy to import in canada and i love my tribeca hope you like yours too.
For all you folks up north that imported to Canada, can you provide info on how it works? My cousin in Montreal is looking to replace his 06 b9 coming off lease and getting a used 08 from US/NY. Is it better to go thru a dealer vs a seller? How long does the process take and where is a good place past the borders to get one if from dealer? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought my US spec 7-seater Limited with Nav and DVD and puddle lights from a used car dealer outside Toronto. I paid approximately $10,000 less than if I were to buy a Canadian spec Tribeca with the same options.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm Importing One Too

I will be picking up and older 06 model from Texas, I'm planning on driving it all the way to Alberta on Feb 18th.
I found used ones are almost the same price in Canada vs US but the new ones are still a lot cheaper in the US in spite of our dollar being par with the US currency.
I could have bought one local for the same price or less considering the long trip but I didn't want leather, my wife wanted white and this one has never seen snow or salt and already has nice 20" chrome wheels, basically it has everything I want, the color I want (if mamma ain't happy nobody happy).
I figure 45k miles is nothing on a Subaru and should last me a long time.
I ordered 17" Blizzaks on aftermarket wheels for $1000 from Tire Rack and had them shipped to the dealer where I bought the car, the 20" are sport (summer only) tires and Feb 18th I might hit a lot of snow on the way home.
I always join Forums in order to have info and help with my vehicles, I'm sure I will find what I need, when needed here too.
Al from Edmonton AB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts