Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I'm in turmoil over this decision to purchase a tribeca. I need something AWD that seats 7. Right now it's between an '08 Tribeca LTD with 39k miles and a certified '07 Pilot with 50k miles and a 1 year bumper to bumper with 50k left on the powertrain.

The Tribeca blows the doors off the Pilot as far as looks, amenities, style, drives nicer, etc...
But the Pilot just seems to be bullet proof, I seem to be reading a lot of reports of plastic falling off in the cab of the Tribeca, trans. problems, eating a quart or two of oil every month.

I want to love this car, but I'm nervous...any advice from the Tribeca veterans here?

BTW, I had an 06 WRX that was great and now I have an "09 WRX that I love.

Any input would be felpful, thanks!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
We have an '08 and love it. In the 3 years we've had it we've only had two small problems. One was the plastic tether that attaches the gas cap to the car broke and the second was the rubber-seal over the rear latch button tore. Both small fixes that were taken care under warranty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got the '09 and love it even more now, it's a pleasure to drive in all conditions. Only suggest if buying second hand go over everything before hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I pulled the trigger last night. He showed me the service records and it showed that they brought it in a couple years ago for hearing a "clunk" when going over a speed bump and also once for "climate control not adjusting". They found nothing on either one. I took it to the parking lot across the way and went over some speed bumps and heard nothing. Adjusted both climate controls all the way til it got hot and all the way down until it got cold. He had invoices for dealer oil changes every 3k miles spot on and they did a full service at 39k.

I know this may sound naive, but what is the word on problems with "gadgetry"? I was considering an extended service plan to cover things like the nav, back up camera, etc... I have never purchased an extended warranty before...but I've never intended to keep a car as long as I do this one and I've never had a car where almost everything is electronic. I can purchase it and cancel it at anytime and be refunded the prorated difference. I'm financed by Wells Fargo and the warranty would be through them. I'm aware of 3rd party providers reputations.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I almost never purchase extended warranties, but that's just me. It's entirely up to you.

I've had my '07 Tribeca since '08 and now have 90,000 miles on it (bought it with 22,000), and I've never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SubieDriver said:
I almost never purchase extended warranties, but that's just me. It's entirely up to you.

I've had my '07 Tribeca since '08 and now have 90,000 miles on it (bought it with 22,000), and I've never had any problems with it.
I don't either...it kind of sucks. I bought a 42" Plasma 6 years ago and it works great to this day. I bought a high end 46" Sony LCD a year and a half ago and it's going out on me now.

I've purchased a used car that was great and a used car that had a transmission go out a week after I bought it. It seems to be a roll of the dice either way.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
We have the extended warranty, but the one backed by SOA. I've always been wary about aftermarket extended warranties, but I feel very comfortable with the SOA backed one. It's just peace of mind for us. I got it on my 2011 Legacy too, but w/ less mileage coverage since we don't drive it as much as the Tribe.

·
Registered
191 Posts
extended warranty

its a roll of the dice.
On my Nissan previa- I paid 1,500 for an extended warranty and used about $600 of it on an A/C repair.
On my Chevy-Suburban..warranty was the best thing I ever bought..damn near everything leaked,broke or shorted out...repairs were over $6,000 up to the 100,000...i put another $3,500 to keep it running to 193,000.

I bought a used Tribeca with 58,000.I declined the additional warranty..PRICES Vary from dealer to dealer...my dealer wanted about 1500 as I recall..then made a second offer at 1200...you dont have to buy the waranty at the dealer you bought the car from.I was told..you buy the extended waranty if you have less than 60,000 miles and 5 years old...even if car had a major breakdown..you could buy it..and use it for the repair.I am not sure how picky they are if you do your own maintanance

This is my 3rd running subaru in my family that I pay for...I do my own maintanance with the help of this site ..so I pocket that( untill my kids extract it!) along with the warranty and I am over 2,000 ahead so far. I enjoy the challenge.

money saved..cabin filter,front bushings,oil changes,60,000 service,and warranty= 2,000 plus..its a subaru:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.