Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have over 40,000k's on my Tribeca, and still have half tread left. That's awesome, I have the Eagle LS2 on the car, is that the same as everyone else. I find them really quiet on the road as well. What kind of life are you guys getting out of your tyres?

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Goodyears are stock OEM tires for the Tribeca. When I got my 06, I immediately bought winter tires and rims and stored the ls2's for the summer so I havnt got any time to know how good they are. I have read reviews that give the tires bad marks for winter traction and wet conditions. My guess is that it is a middle of the road tire that trades off some performance for longevity, so really it depends on your driving habits, how aggressive you are and what conditions you drive in.... The Subaru AWD probably compensates for some of the tires short comings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got over 36k on mine and have not had many problems. I've documented on other postes about my winter findings. I have not had the same problems in the snow/ice as others. I was in the middle of the ICE storm in St. Louis Feb 21st, (driving to colorado on ski vacation) and was just plodding along. No issues. I admit I was very skeptical about the tread but have been suprised. I also admit that I want something better for winter. Im just curious about the total miles before needing replace. I have had bad expierences in that with Good Years in the past.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
andrec said:
Drive with them in the snow and you will change your mind!
Agreed. When it's time for tires, I need to find a better all season that does well in snow. The Eagles aren't that great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Magic Marker said:
Agreed. When it's time for tires, I need to find a better all season that does well in snow. The Eagles aren't that great.
Living on the Gold Coast we obviously never see snow here, so I guess I will never know how they perform in the snow. I guess I will never have to use my wiper de-icer as well :D my friends laugh at me when I tell them I have a wiper de-icer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hum said:
I have over 40,000k's on my Tribeca, and still have half tread left. That's awesome, I have the Eagle LS2 on the car, is that the same as everyone else. I find them really quiet on the road as well. What kind of life are you guys getting out of your tyres?
I just bought new Michelin Energy's for mine. The Goodyears had 39k on them and were starting to crack and stiffen (probably a factor of the Arizona summer heat), although the wear markers were well within good tread life. I notice a much quieter ride now, but still believe there may be a bushing/suspension problem. Had four difference service places look at it and got virtually four different opinions. They all think the sway bar bushings are OK, which has been an issue for lots of folks. However, they all vary on what they think the bumpy ride might be (control arm, struts, engine mounts, etc.). I had the 4-wheel alignment done as well, but still the car does not ride like it did when new :-(

-Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought it was time for an update, you guys won't believe how many km's I have on my tyres. The Subaru dealer said he has never seen our tyres last as long. The Tribeca is now 3 years old and I have 95000 km on the car, still with the original set of Goodyears. I gotta say I'm impressed. I probably still have about 15% tread left so I will crack the 100,000 km mark.

I do alot of h/way driving for work, some days 600k's so I guess that has helped. I'm definately sticking with the same tyres when it's time to replace.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hum said:
Thought it was time for an update, you guys won't believe how many km's I have on my tyres. The Subaru dealer said he has never seen our tyres last as long. The Tribeca is now 3 years old and I have 95000 km on the car, still with the original set of Goodyears. I gotta say I'm impressed. I probably still have about 15% tread left so I will crack the 100,000 km mark.

I do alot of h/way driving for work, some days 600k's so I guess that has helped. I'm definately sticking with the same tyres when it's time to replace.
You would be less impressed when you had something to compare them against...I am glad they have worked well for you but there are much better all season tires out there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
42/43 Just like the manual says.
I've got 30K on mine and still plenty left.
Yeah, the Goodyear LS's last a long time and are quiet, but they're not much for off-road traction or very good in the snow.

·
449 Posts
Ours were OK till this winter (~ 57K miles) when it snowed. They seem to wear to a point then stop wearing. I think they get so hard they stop wearing and then they also loose traction. They may look OK but I think I waited too long to swap them out. somewhere between 45 -50 K they need to be replaced IMHO

·
Registered
11 Posts
:evilbanana: I had my good years 70k miles running strong, 30% of thread left in two of them I have installed in the car if it wasnt because my wife pinched one of them between the sidewalk and the rim and puncture a hole in the side of one of them. We bought two Falken Ziex and put them in the front and the sound if like im driving a hummer with the sound they make on the road. The good year are very silent driving down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen some interesting discussions about tire replacement on only one end. You might want to read up on possible issues that may arise when you only put new tires on one "axle".

I've read spirited debates about whether the differences in tire size could do damage to the car due to the differences in rotation. Indeed, I've even heard the question on whether replacements should be done 4 at a time or if you need to have tires shaved to match if not replacing all four on the car talk radio show.

Here's a tirerack.com tech article:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

It may not just be the tires making noise!

·
449 Posts
I've witnessed a damaged tranny on a neighbors outback due to only putting new tires only on the front. It does happen, this is what Subaru has to say about the subject:

http://www.scoobymods.com/why-its-bad-mix-t3433.html?t=3433

The driveline is a lot more expensive than a set of tires. It is possible to get the exact same tire new and have it shaved, I've head of that happening but mrchet is right I bet it's you differentials making the noise and not just the tires...

·
Registered
11 Posts
:confused: sheesh!!....I think Im lucky or waiting for the s**t to hit the fan because there has been different tires only in make but the same size but I didnt measure them to see if there was a 1/4 inch tolerance limit between them, I been running them for 20k or so and havent had any problems, they have been rotated too, the noise they where making was because the tire thread is like the tires that have directional rotation and in the front they where a little noisy but in the back I don t even feel them. What kind of tranny damage was in your neighbours suby?:confused:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Time for an update,
I now have 120,000 km on the original set of Goodyears and its time for replacement. I don't know how I got so many k's out of these, I do alot of h/way driving and keep them pumped up pretty high. Defianately the best tyres I've ever had and quiet too. They cost $450 each to replace, but I would be crazy to get anything else.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i must say that is an amazing mileage figure to get out of almost any tire.

it's true that correct (and even higher) inflation, rotating regularly, and hwy miles are very good to tires. these goodyears also have a tire wear rating of 400 which means they will last a long time, but sacrifice in areas such as grip in both dry, wet and winter conditions. mainly because the rubber has to be harder in order to last longer. softer compounds tend to wear faster, but provide better dynamic grip.

at the end of the day all that matters is how the tires work for your driving style/conditions. sounds like you got a good set though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My OEM LS2s were on their last legs after 48k of mostly highway miles. I did a lot of research for replacements and decided to go with Yokohama's new Avid Envigors. The difference between the Goodyears and the Yokos is night and day. I didn't realize how loud at speed the GYs were until I put the Yokos on. Steering input is lighter, rolling resistance is less (better gas mileage), wet performance is better and they look fantastic. Check them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced my Goodyear LS2's at about 47000 miles. Not enough tread left to get me through a winter here in Ancaster Ont. Replaced them with Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. Traction has been just fine through the first winter, but just like all kinds of all season tires they get a liitle hard in the colder weather. They also seem a little noisier than the OE LS2 Goodyears.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts