Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plastic ok? I found the ones I need for the wheels I'm getting, but seems a little steep for plastic... $37.95 for 4.

The site makes it easy to search by car and wheels and then gives you the ones you need without showing you the center bore size... I guess so you can't go grab them from another site! :rolleyes:

I know the '07 Tribeca has a 56.something center bore, but I can't figure out where to find the center bore on the aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
When I had rims on my Civic, I had hub centric rings. But in the end, I didn't even use them because to a certain extent I would say most rims are lug centric. I'm no expert, but I didn't even use the rings and never had an issue.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you put the wheels on with the car off the ground. However, I thought with such a havy car, I thought it just might make it easier to deal with when the time came. Maybe I'm just being over-cautious. Thanks for the input MM.

·
449 Posts
I wouldn't myself, the hub to wheel interface is what the wheel rests on not just the studs, it takes a fair amount of force, not to mention it centers the wheel on the hub. I would not even use adapters let alone plastic, but that's just me:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0205scc_wheel_tech_guide/index.html

cut and past from above

Centering
The other element that affects directly whether a wheel can be bolted onto a car is hubcentricity. Long ago, in the deep mists of time, wheels were located by the taper of the lug nuts or bolts. This could lead to all sorts of problems, but they can be summarized by saying centering was liable to be less than perfect, and the sheer stress on wheel bolts or studs could be enormous. I am not aware of any passenger car wheels now made that are not hubcentric. Hubcentric wheels have a hole at their center that fits closely over a round feature on the hub, serving to center the wheel on the axis of the spindle, as well as bear the vertical weight of the vehicle. The wheel bolts or studs then serve simply to hold the wheel onto the hub, and are loaded only in tension, where they are strong. If the studs were required to absorb vertical forces, they would be loaded in single shear, the weakest arrangement for any fastener.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have run aluminum and now plastic ones on my sti, I have 18in Advans and that is what came with them. It is a good idea to run the HC rings. They help to make sure the wheel is perfectly centered on the hub. Most stock wheels the rim is the exact size of the hub. Just make sure you torque the lug nuts to the proper spec and tighten in a cross pattern

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I ended up getting the rings as I didn't want to take any chances. Can't hurt having them in there. I'm just debating what to do about the TPMs before I put the wheels on. I don't know if I want to look at that stupid light all spring, summer and fall! I'll use the stockers for winter so I may just pull the TPMs from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts