Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks:
Just wanted to say hello... Just bought a new 2010 Tribeca Limited. Not new to Subies, but we were looking basically at Outbacks and didn't really even consider a Tribeca, until I prodded the dealer about this sharp black one he had in stock. Ended up getting it for about the same as what I would have paid to order a 2011 Outback Ltd. It's the wife's rig and she loves it.
We needed dog room in the cargo area with the back seat up; the Forester didn't have it, the new Outback has about as much as my Volvo wagon, but this thing has gobs of room.

On all the other forums I'm on, they always demand pics from new members, sooo... here's a crummy cell phone pic and a dealer website pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice Ride!

Welcome, and congrats on the new purchase! My wife and I just purcased a 2010 Tribeca Premium in July here in Portland. I do like the black color, you don't see many of those. We almost drove up to Seattle for a Tribeca Limited that was priced at $30,500, but my wife didn't like the red color.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Soulcoughin said:
Welcome, and congrats on the new purchase! My wife and I just purcased a 2010 Tribeca Premium in July here in Portland. I do like the black color, you don't see many of those. We almost drove up to Seattle for a Tribeca Limited that was priced at $30,500, but my wife didn't like the red color.
Thanks - yeah, red was a "no-go" for my wife, too. In fact, she pretty much insists on her vehicles being black. There is a red Touring with moonroof/nav. at my dealer, and I expect he will have it for a while. :rolleyes: We ran into plenty of unsold red Outbacks, too. I think it looks good, but just not a hot seller on those models. Ours has moonroof, and splash guards and heavy mats and that's about it. We went the Costco route, it was around $35,400 out the door, so it was in the mid-$31K range. They could order a 2011 Outback Limited 3.6 with pkg.#4 (moonroof, backup camera) for about $34,700 out the door without any accessories. So the Tribeca seemed like a lot more car for not much more money, so it became the choice.

My only quibble with Subaru is that their color choices and combinations are very limited, IMO. Even Kia/Hyundai offered more in that area. She wanted a dark interior, but ended up liking the Crystal Black/beige. Me too.;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
We traded our 2006 Outback for our Tribeca and we couldn't be happier with the new vehicle. The Outback was great, but we needed a bit more room now that we have a second rug rat on the way--the car seats fit much more comfortably in the Tribeca. That was always the biggest drawback of the Outback, very little room for rear facing car seats. Hard to believe since they are family oriented vehicles.

The new Outbacks and Tribecas are so close in price now, I would think Subaru would catch more people like you willing to spend a little extra for more space. I agree with you on the choices and combinations Subaru offers--most Tribecas on dealer lots around these parts are loaded with all the extras, which drives up the cost considerably. Amazingly there was a Premium (base model, a rare find) at the dealer right next to us, which worked out nicely. Granted we didn't get any bells & whistles (though Subaru does a nice job of putting a lot of features even on their base models), but I think we got a pretty good price in return.

Kia/Hyundai are offering some good options out there, they are definitely giving the other auto makers a run for their money. I admit I still am a little biased about buying Korean, plus the styling doesn't quite do it for me. Though they are getting closer every year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soulcoughin said:
Kia/Hyundai are offering some good options out there, they are definitely giving the other auto makers a run for their money. I admit I still am a little biased about buying Korean, plus the styling doesn't quite do it for me. Though they are getting closer every year.
Somebody asked me what other brands I seriously considered; honestly, when I looked at our requirements (crossover-type, AWD, cargo area room, power, quality, price range), everything else fell by the wayside except for the Korean brands. The Kia Borrego is on a production hiatus until Oct./Nov., or else it just might be in my driveway now. Similar dims. to the Tribeca, V6 or V8, variety of trims, etc. They are giving $3500 cash back through August, and I have heard they are discounting a couple grand more off that. Which means, I could very well have gotten a V6 AWD Borrego equipped the same as the Tribeca for $2000+ less. Add in the 10yr/100K warranty, and it's hard to ignore. Maybe not this time, but I put a lot more miles on a car than my wife does, and when it comes time to replace my Volvo...who knows?

·
Registered
630 Posts
* Nice Tribeca lol i meant and also a Subaru is a much better buy then say, a KIA. But that Borreggo is less existent then the Tribeca and honestly i thought the Borreggo would have more sales although i wouldnt buy it but it seems OK for what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I haven't driven a Kia, so I really don't know how I would have judged it.
My wife sort of adopts vehicles as "pets" and keeps them a very long time, usually 15 yrs. or so, and there are few brands that I would trust enough to have that expectation of longevity. Mercedes (though the jury's still out of some of the newer ones, although I understand they're getting back to "quality"), Volvo (ditto), Subaru (in most cases), Toyota under the right conditions. I tend to think that it starts with the engine; if you've got a durable engine that can go 300K miles, the rest of the car has a good chance, too. I just don't know enough about Kia's to make that call yet. I work with a guy who commutes 50+ miles each way, and he bought a new Suzuki with a similar warranty (10yr/100K), with the specific intent of it being 'disposable'. He figured he couldn't go wrong.

I have a 2000 V70R wagon. It was the last year for the 'Gen 1' R wagons.
It had the most powerful engine (261 hp., and lots of upgrade stuff available to raise that), goes like stink (shockingly fast, especially to rice-racers :lol:), has AWD, and is a true wagon so it has plenty of room in the back for my labs. Mine has 145K on it now, and I fully expect to go to 300.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Oh wow nice! I have a 96 850 with 200k and a 08 v70. The 850 runs great, volvos are great cars. My son drives a Mercedes e class and it's also reliable bit it costs a lot more to keep it that way vs' the subie and volvo's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An '08 V70? WAY cool. I love the new V70's, I'm crushed that they're not importing them to the US anymore. There was a 2010 R-Design V70 at a local dealer, probably the last one on the West Coast and one on the few left in the country. It was black with a black-and-white int. Very cool. I would have tried to deal for it, but we need AWD in the hills where we live - so really needed an XC.

If we had been ready a couple years ago, they were making incredible deals in 2008 on leftover '07's (2008 was the year they facelifted).

Last year, I could have "Cash-For-Clunker"-ed her old '94 Camry. It would have qualified. Just weren't ready at the time.

·
Registered
630 Posts
yeah the 2010 V70R's are awesome.. they arent bringing them to the US anymore?? and i heard the v70 is being replaced by the v60 later this year

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, V70's are done in this country. And of course, the R-Design is not a true 'R', just has some cool R-type bits, and the suspension is better, but the engine is just standard. :(

The V60 is good but it's a crossover; it's too bad, there's no regular full-size Volvo wagon here anymore. :tdown:
They need to bring that back, AND produce a real 'R' version again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You're right, I misspoke, the V60 is not a "crossover" in the current sense. I don't know what you call it. It's close to a Toyota Venza, it's a little like a Honda Crosstour - but it sure ain't a wagon:

“From the design viewpoint, the focus was on making the car as close to a coupé as possible, while retaining that handy extra space at the rear. Our sports wagon does not aim to compete with the traditional estate car. For the customer who wants a lot of load space, there is our V70 or XC70,” said Örjan Sterner, head of exterior design for the new Volvo V60."

We need more than just a "handy extra space" in a vehicle. I suspect a lot of other people do too. He says there is the option of a V70, but unfortunately we in the US no longer have it. :(

·
Registered
630 Posts
yeah.. hey they still got the XcV70 for now.. I like that a lot..and as like subaru too haha but if i am to trade in my v70 or sell, i would consider the Xc70 and i always need a wagon, my tribeca is roomy too but i just cant find myself throwing bikes, kayaks and all sorts into the tan leather/carpeting..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The XC70 is great vehicle. That's what we originally started looking at. But to get the things we wanted - leather, heated seats and the Dynaudio stereo - you have to add 2 major packages together and you're immediately pushing $40K. Too much for us. But they are very nice. I never had a wagon until I bought the V70R, and now I wouldn't be without one, they're so practical.
One thing I learned: if I ever won the lottery and was able to get the Volvo, I would strongly consider their European Delivery program. By all accounts, it is the best-run of any manufacturer's program, and you actually get a really good deal on the car, too. That's what really surprised me. Everybody who has done it raves about it, and says they would do it again.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My mother worked for Volvo and thats how I became a fan. She actually owned my 850 for 2 years before I bought it from her and she watched it being built on the new 850 plant in Swedan. I heard about those, Mercedes offers it for an extra $2000 and you get a trip to there and back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.