Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a past installer, a 5yr stint at Clarion - I've been around this stuff for a while... I really only do my own cars now, and my last install was my 05 Legacy GT.

I plan to do at least a well written guide, if I have time I'll do photos.

This install is in our 06 Tribeca.

Starting off:
Alarm/Remote Start: Viper 7501 2-way (on sale right now for $120 shipped!)

Bypass: ADS-RING-SUB (last time I used this I wired up to my own relay)

Integration Module: ADS (I tried the bypass kit for the legacy and it was NOT reliable, so I hardwired that car, we'll see how this goes!)

Wiring Cheat: On the legacy I used a turbo timer harness to avoid cutting the ignition harness, I THINK they are the same harness on the Tribeca, but not 100%, and the harnesses are hard to come by, so I'll hardwire - but someone else may want to keep that in mind.

Extras: DEI Window Module, 530t (gives you one touch UP and DOWN for the front windows (add a 2nd module to do the rears as well).

Step 1: Buy all your stuff! see above shopping list, I highly recommend the DEI units.

Step 2: Get the ADS-RNG-SUB (its a 2 wire harness with a "pellet" that contains a subaru compatible RFID chip).

Step 3: Take the ADS device from step 1, plus ALL keys to your care to the dealer, they'll think your nuts, but get them to program the pellet to the car (see instructions in the box, my extra hint - don't worry about hot wiring the car to add the pellet, instead pay $1 and get a key made at a hardware store with NO RFID chip in it (the cheapy all metal key). Use that key to turn the ignition on, and hold the pellet as the instructions show near the key, the tech can then program the pellet to the car. It took a few tries on my legacy.

Step 4: Study the wiring diagram :) Do all prewiring, and wire grouping/wrapping outside of the car that you can.

Wire Diagram: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~98277
(06 is the same as that diagram, and apparently so is 07/08.

What you need to do:
The ADS integration kit will auto-intergrate the following for you (so before you even get in the car, you can hook up the wires from your alarm/remote start to it.
Door Locks
Door Trigger
Trunk Trigger
Trunk Pop
Tach
Remote start status wire

To install the bypass/intergration unit doing the following.
1. Remove lower Dash
2. Remove Upper dash
3. Remove steering column surround (single screw on the bottom)
4. Put the RFID Pellet Ring around the back side of the ignition cylinder, I suggest taping, or ziptying it in place so it doesn't move when your done.
5. While your at the wheel, look below the turn signal stalk, you'll find two harnesses, one with like 10 wires, then one with 3 or 4. pull both out, the smaller one has a solid orange wire, that wire is you + (positive) parking light flash wire to integrate to the alarm/remotestart)
6. Look directly to the left of the steering column in the way back near the firewall, there is a box with three plugs, its your BCM, unplug the top plug, its Grey/Blue.
7. Follow the ADS directions (cut the keyless wire, and tap into the 2 CAN-BUS wires).
8. Plug that back in
9. Wire the alarm remote start per normal (I'll post wire colors shortly)
10. Program the ADS according to the manual.
11. Enjoy the car! The ADS unit arms/disarms the factory alarm with the lock/unlock pulse, retains the two click to unlock all doors, and properly disables the alarm to enable the remote start.

I had trouble getting my ADS to program, I was cussing it - the manual says to hit the button twice for standard mode (meaning you have to hook all the wires up, in my case I had to because my alarm isn't compatible with the ADS unit) - anyways doing it twice never worked, finally, I did it once, then held down the button and it worked, don't ask me, but its perfect now.

I've still got to do (and will post schematics wire/colors when I get to it)
1. Hook up rear-defog, heated mirrors, and heated windshield wipers (the alarm can enable these for 10 minutes when its below 40 out automagically)
2. Install the auto up/down window controls

The good news - there is a TON of room under the tribeca, very easy to run/route your wires appropriately and hide all the modules good.

More instructions, wiring info, etc to come as my goodies arrive!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll be watching this thread with great interest. We also have an '06, and teh wifey wants a car starter like - and I quote - "her Suzuki Forenza used to have."

Terrible cars aside, I'll be watching to see how it's done. I'm very DIY-minded, but have never gotten into the wiring this deeply. I've replaced some audio components, but nothing this involved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Updated - wasn't able to take pictures as I was under a tight deadline to surprise the wifey! Will try to snap some when I'm back in there too hook up the remaining items on my list.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for that clarification :) I bought the unit (also pink, as she's the prime user of the vehicle), and am now shopping for the remaining bits. I can find the DEI 530T as well as the ADS-RNG-SUB, however, I can't find the "integration module."

Could you give more info about that part?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Goto http://www.idatalink.com/

Punch in the year/make model, there are 2 or 3 that will work.

They must be programmed first, I got mine on ebay, the guy programmed mine and sold me the ADS-SUB-RNG cheaper than anywhere else I coudl find.

This is the guy I bought from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...80399920235&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

He programmed the unit, and sent me the ADS-SUB-RNG too.

Good luck!

And serious - its EASY in this car. Even tapping into the rear defog + wipers + mirrors won't be bad, and I'll post that soon!

C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts