Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out a way to buy an aftermarket backup camera that can use the stock non-NAV display upfront??? I'm assuming the non-NAV display is not capable of displaying a video image. I was hoping that there would be a way to do this without putting a separate monitor up on the dash somewhere.

I know, I know - I should have just bought the factory NAV!!! I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on one just for the built-in backup camera feature.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you can find a way, I'd love to know since I'm in the same boat. Although, I'm fairly confident that our wish can never happen. I can only see totally removing the stock display unit and replace it with an aftermarket screen. It would be difficult and most likely not worth the work.

I've seen plenty of aftermarket back up camera w/ screens, but I'm not sure where I would want to mount the screen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump!! :)

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?????

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's really not possible w/o replacing the whole stock multi-info display...and then good luck trying to get something to interface with the stock stereo and a rear camera.

The multi-info screen in the non-navi Tribecas is an "old school" LCD with set portions that light up to display text only. It's not an actual LCD video type display which is what you get on the navi units.

The best aftermarket back-up camera I would suggest would be to get one that displays in the rearview mirror. I've scene lots on rearview mirrors that you can get with a 2" LCD video monitor built into the mirror itself. And when it's not in use it dissappears behind the mirrored glass so it doesn't obstruct normal driving.

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snork,

Thanks alot!! I was thinking that the non-Navi display was not going to be capable of much. I will take a look at the rear-view mirror displays you came up with.

Another thought came to me regarding adding a backup camera and a more capable GPS unit at the same time.

While looking at the new Garmin GPS's announced at CES, I noticed that the nuvi 5000 will accept an A/V input. It looks like that may be one way to solve both my problems.

Do you know of any other good GPS units that I could input a backup camera into????

Hopefully, I'll end up with just one extra display, but have better GPS and Backup Video!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I haven't shopped around lately for GPS units, I personally have 2 Magellan units (a Roadmate 700 and Maestro 3000). But anything from Magellan and Garmin you really can't go wrong with. IMHO, the Magellans are the most intuitive user-friendly but the Garmins usually have more features which I would never use anyway.

I bought my wife a TomTom One (which got stolen out of the car while valet parked:censored:) and I really didn't like it which is why I wasn't so upset to see it go. It gave bizarre routes that you would never actually take (too many side roads), whereas every Garmin and Magellan I've used has pretty much matched what you would get from mapquest, google maps, etc. Plus the user interface was not intuitive to me.

As for back-up cams and GPS units...most back-up cams use standard composite video (your standard yellow RCA video cable) but the trick may or may not be if the image is mirrored or not depending on the camera you choose. By that I mean it's like looking in a mirror and the display on the screen is mirrored horizontally (left is on right and vice versa). This happens b/c the camera is looking backwards and your looking forwards at the screen. Just gotta make sure you choose an appropriate camera. It's also why some of the rearview mirrors listed have both aux video and rear cam input, b/c the rear cam is mirrored and the aux is not. If your serious about doing this I'd recommend going to a good car stereo store (not BB or CC), they should be able to help you pick the right stuff and get it all hardwired:tup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snork,

Thanks again! I will definitely make sure that I understand the mirroring aspect of any camera's output that I buy.

Yes, I think a stop at the local installers shop after picking up the car would be time/money well spent. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought a $99 wireless backup camera at Target and installed the monitor inside the sunglasses compartment above the RV mirror. I can pop the compartment down in reverse, and then close it up out of the way when I'm done. The picture quality is pretty good in the daytime and so-so at night, but it beats a lot of the alternatives for cost/value. I wired the monitor into the compass/mirror, and it works very well. The camera mounts on your license plate cover and is wired into the backup lights, BTW.

-Karen in AZ-

PS: I did also install a video line for my iPod into the back of the nav screen, so I am using it for something constructive :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Karen,

Thanks for the info! Is this the camera that you have? So, it fits in the sunglasses compartment and you powered it from the RV mirror? Sounds pretty simple.

Wireless Back-Up Camera System with Color LCD Monitor

$99.99

There are 4 buttons in the next section, to make the tab readable click it and navigate past the buttons. The currently selected tab is features.featuresdescriptionadditionalInfoshippingInfo
• Allows driver to see what is behind them before they back up
• Camera mounts on license plate
• Monitor mounts on dash or visor
• Complete with all accessories needed

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Karen,

Also, re: the iPod video line out. You put it into the back of the stock non-Navi display??? What do you use that for??

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That's cool that the monitor fits inside the sunglass holder. So you tapped power from the compass/ mirror? I'm assuming the connection from screen to camera is wireless?

·
Registered
119 Posts
b727plumber said:
Karen,

Thanks for the info! Is this the camera that you have? So, it fits in the sunglasses compartment and you powered it from the RV mirror? Sounds pretty simple.

Wireless Back-Up Camera System with Color LCD Monitor

$99.99
Yes, that's it. I just used the monitor without the stand, and added some sticky velcro and short wire to the back to keep it from falling out every time I opened the compartment. I have it angled downward a bit to get a direct straight-on view for the clearest picture (typical with LCD displays).

·
Registered
119 Posts
b727plumber said:
Karen,

Also, re: the iPod video line out. You put it into the back of the stock non-Navi display??? What do you use that for??
I used an inexpensive mini-to-RCA a/v cable I bought at Target or Radio Shack (I forget now) with all three connectors for video, and left-right audio. Since I already had done the mod for the ipod-to-radio hookup for audio, I just taped off those red and white connectors. (I use a DLO transpod so the audio is running through the dock connector, which is higher quality than the headphone jack, leaving the hp jack free for the video output).

The yellow (video) plugs right into the rca jack on the back of the nav monitor. I ran the cable under the dash and through the front right corner of the console/cup holder area (the cable I bought was 4' and didn't quite reach the armrest, where my audio cord runs). I wrapped some electrical tape around the 3.5mm ipod end so it wouldn't slip back inside the console.

I can watch any video my 5g ipod can play, and it's really pretty good quality on the nav screen. I haven't yet cut the PB cable, so I have to have the parking brake on to use this (it IS a safety issue, after all :).

-Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
119 Posts
Magic Marker said:
That's cool that the monitor fits inside the sunglass holder. So you tapped power from the compass/ mirror? I'm assuming the connection from screen to camera is wireless?
Yes, it's a wireless signal. The camera itself taps into the backup light wiring (which is the brown/yellow striped one in the rear hatch compartment). The monitor has power all the time the ignition is on, but when you take the car out of reverse, the camera shuts off and the monitor goes black, saving juice. It's automatic, so you don't have to switch it on/off.

The monitor also has four different orientation settings, so you can mount it right-side up or up-side down, depending on how you run your power cable to it. Then you just select the orientation on the monitor and forget it.

-Karen-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Karen,

Thanks so much for more info on your setup.

Re: your video iPod setup: Does your model Tribeca have a oem NAV display (without the backup camera feature)?? My 2008 will come with the non-Navi display, so I'm not sure I can get any video out of it.

On the seperate topic of adding 3rd party GPS capability to my Tribeca:

I am waiting for the MacWorld announcements to see if the next version of the iPhone will come with GPS. If it does, then I'll probably just buy one of those instead of buying the stand alone Garmin unit. With all of this convergence of tech, it makes deciding which hardware to go with a challenge!

·
Registered
119 Posts
kmartin said:
I bought a $99 wireless backup camera at Target and installed the monitor inside the sunglasses compartment above the RV mirror. I can pop the compartment down in reverse, and then close it up out of the way when I'm done. The picture quality is pretty good in the daytime and so-so at night, but it beats a lot of the alternatives for cost/value. I wired the monitor into the compass/mirror, and it works very well. The camera mounts on your license plate cover and is wired into the backup lights, BTW.

-Karen in AZ-

PS: I did also install a video line for my iPod into the back of the nav screen, so I am using it for something constructive :)
Here are some camera pictures...the camera pix is really quite sharp (unlike my photo skills:). The last photo is the camera's cable going in through the license plate light's cover...that way I didn't have to drill a hole anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
kmartin said:
I used an inexpensive mini-to-RCA a/v cable I bought at Target or Radio Shack (I forget now) with all three connectors for audio, and left-right video. Since I already had done the mod for the ipod-to-radio hookup for audio, I just taped off those red and white connectors. (I use a DLO transpod so the audio is running through the dock connector, which is higher quality than the headphone jack, leaving the hp jack free for the video output).

The yellow (video) plugs right into the rca jack on the back of the nav monitor. I ran the cable under the dash and through the front right corner of the console/cup holder area (the cable I bought was 4' and didn't quite reach the armrest, where my audio cord runs). I wrapped some electrical tape around the 3.5mm ipod end so it wouldn't slip back inside the console.

I can watch any video my 5g ipod can play, and it's really pretty good quality on the nav screen. I haven't yet cut the PB cable, so I have to have the parking brake on to use this (it IS a safety issue, after all :).

-Karen in AZ-
Here is my iPod 5G video setup...the white cord is the a/v (video) to nav screen, and the black one is audio to radio.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts