Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
221 - 225 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm with Bob on much of my driving tactics except Semi drafting. Yes, it works but the safety concerns FAR outweigh any fuel savings. Besides, I live in Utah. If I drive that close behind a semi I can't enjoy the mountain views. :)

My current lifetime average is 26.8 mpg with my best tank being awfully close to 29 mpg. These numbers are based on actual miles divided by gallons pumped. Is 28 mpg possible? Absolutely, on warm summer days with cooperative stoplights. (Round trips with uphill and downhill in both directions)

My worst tank was when I tried "spirited" driving 80+ mph on the highway and WOT (Wide Open Throttle) from the stoplights. It still turned a respectable 21.9 mpg.

As far as the on-board computer goes, it's about 0.7 mpg optimistic. However, on those tanks where I get above 28 mpg the computer becomes a little more accurate (0.4 - 0.6 mpg optimistic). Perhaps even the computer has a hard time believing that this 2-ton 6-cylinder AWD can get that kind of fuel economy.

Cheers!

http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=4712

·
Registered
771 Posts
That is interesting. What I seems to see is 22-25mpg on HW reported here. You report 27-29mpg. You must use different fuel than rest of us.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nope, US gallons from the local Chevron here in Utah (91 octane, weights and measures cert is current). The reported averages are combined highway and city (approx. 97% highway 3% city)

The trick is, high pressure LRR (low rolling resistance) tires, a blocked front grille and no roof rack (to improve aerodynamics) full synthetic oil in the engine and differentials, and a VERY light foot on the accelerator.

There are a few other tricks but the effectiveness has been marginal and not worth mentioning here.

Few people go to these extremes in order to get this kind of fuel economy. I just thought that I would chime in on this forum to let others know the possibilities, even if they're not willing to go to the same extreme.

If anyone else has other ideas that might improve mileage I'd be glad to hear them.

·
Administrator
704 Posts
08 limited

since having the transmission cooler installed and seating the dampner properly, up to 23.9 driving 75-80 on highway road trips.

average 18+ for combined (never below except some rare circumstances with no issues).

same mpg that my friend gets in his V6 accord.
Back from the grave.

Just took a 125 mile trip to VA Beach. Did not exceed 70 at any point and enjoyed the lower speed limits where 55 was permissable at times. 4 passengers, a dog, and cargo onboard with A/C running. Tires at 35 psi all the way around. E15 used which should hurt mpg over 93 octane. Averaged 25.2 mpg on the EZ30R. I am impressed. I also own a gen 2 Prius and Jetta TDI so I am conditioned to driving to get mpg.

221 - 225 of 225 Posts