Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Didn't mean to high-jack this post with tire information.
Utemarksman,
Good point regarding the overall economy of the Tribeca. We have had 7 in ours as well. Not highly recommended for adults, but with kids, not bad at all.
Most of the time it's 2 or 3, and frequently 1. At those times, I just try to enjoy the ride...and I do.

·
Registered
771 Posts
drbrousters said:
they are an approved traction device for mountain passes (like studded snow tires or dedicated winter tires). If you have all/4-wheel drive, you don't need chains where chains are otherwise required.
Where did you get this from? Since when all-season tires can do the job of winter tires not to mention tires with chains?

You tires are not unique. Get over it! They lack of needed pattern not to mention the all-seaons compound used, to match winter tires.

Your tires suck on snow in comparison with dedicated winter tires or tires with chains. I am sorry that you do not get it. I do not have any more arguments.

·
Registered
771 Posts
drbrousters said:
but believe a dedicated winter tire would do better...and wear out quicker.
Now you are saying the opposite that your tires are not as good as winter tires. I am now confused….so what is so special then about your tires?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think he's just saying that his tires are on the better end of all-seasons, almost as good as winter tires, so he loves them and we should too.

I don't put that much thought into tires, but then I'm in Georgia, so I'll never own winter tires, or pay extra for all-seasons that are close to winter tires.

I go by price and wear rating, and that's it. I won't need tires for a while yet, so this discussion has no interest for me.

The MPG discussion, on the other hand, has some interest, as I generally monitor my MPG averages, and I usually average 20-21 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving, and have averaged around that since I bought my Tribeca 3 years ago.

·
Registered
146 Posts
"I do not have any more arguments."

I'll drink to that.

Now onward to gas mileage:

SubieDriver,

WOW! Wish I could come near that. I can't even get that, consistantly, on long trips...Of course, I might do much better if I didn't drive 74 to 84 mpg (usually 4-9 over posted speed limit ). Travelling 700+ miles, it gets me there faster and without being stopped for speeding.:busted_cop:

Is yours a 2009 Tribeca?
Never mind. I see it's a 2007 Limited. Again, WOW!

·
Registered
146 Posts
So here's the deal.
I just took a trip. On the way back, I decided to drive for mileage in an area where the road was 2 lane, and speed limit was from 55 to 65 (going thru one town, the speed limit was 25, and at another the speed limit was 50). Anyway, I drove between 59 and 69 mph most of the way. I passed one car by punching it and getting up to 89, and another car was passed without changing speed.

After 130 miles I refilled the tank and got: (I couldn't believe it) 25mpg. Everyone else I have talked with gets no more than 25mpg in any 4-wheel/all-wheel drive on the market. It affirms that this car can be as economical as any car in that class.

I then drove 169 miles at a rate of 69 to 79 miles per hour.

For that segment of the trip, I got 19 mpg.

It involved more situations where I had to speed up and slow down for traffic. Still, the difference is remarkable. 25 is ABSOLUTELY the best mileage I have ever had. 19 is normal for the other kind of driving.
It isn't enough to make me want to slow down as the total mileage 1 way is 300 miles (more, counting rest stops and door to door), and driving at a lower speed significantly increases the time it takes. But, it shows what the car is geared for and the best way to drive it for good gas mileage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
All things considered Subaru has done a decent job on the Tribeca in regards to fuel efficiency. After reading for a while on the ecomodder forum I would consider a modification only to find that Subaru had already engineered the Tribeca with the concept in mind.

Other than keeping the tires well inflated the only fuel economy modification needed for the Tribeca is the 'nut behind the wheel.'

Just for grins, watch the second half of this clip, it summarizes the concept nicely: Top Gear M3 vs. Prius

·
Registered
17 Posts

Returned from my annual Western Oregon to SE Oregon trip. Here's the details. 4 adults, 1 child, 1 large dog + gear.

Going East: Didn't make much effort to get good mileage; cruise set at 69mph, passing on the uphills....etc.
91 Octane "Premium", 23.7 instant, 23.5 actual (full tank average).

Going West: Made the effort to get good mileage; cruise set at 62mph, limited passing to "the easy ones" on flat ground.
1st leg (lunch stop @ Bend) 91 Octane, 25.5 instant, 25.1 actual.
2nd leg to Salem and on to Portland 91 Octane, 28.2 instant, 27.6 actual.

·
Registered
164 Posts
long road trip for me over the memorial weekend and my observations were similar to drbrousters...

basically when i kept the rpms at or around 2500 (which is between the 59 and 69 mph he noted) my mpg was around 24 between fill ups.

when i was taking advantage of the higher 75 mph + speed limits in the rural areas my mpg dropped down to around 20 or lower. i also noticed my rpms were 2750-3000 when maintaining those higher speeds.

so basically to get 'good' mpg in this car you have to be easy on the go pedal and try to keep your speed/rpms in the 'sweet' range.

·
Registered
771 Posts
24 and 28 is a huge difference. So your observation is not the same. With this car anything 25+ is down the hill only. :lol:

Anything between 23-25 is pure flat highway miles may be with some tail wind. :lol:

18-23 is normal driving.

·
Registered
164 Posts
don't think he said 28, maybe someone else did. i agree that 28 would be unattainable on a stock tribeca in almost any driving condition.

23 is achievable on hwy only stretches if you're being conservative. i know, i've done it.

over the life of my car i've avg 18.4 mpg to date. this includes data on every refill for the past 40,000 miles. and yes i do log in my nifty android application all the data every time i refill. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd just like to know the what is meant by "instant" and "actual." If he means "instant" on the MPG indicator in the car, and "actual" by dividing miles by actual gallons used, it seems pretty high, but I'm not saying it's impossible. If "Actual" is miles divided by gallons, I'll believe him. Anything is possible under the right conditions.

As for my trip, it wasn't far, but it was up and down hills (elevation varied almost 800 ft at times), but the road was pretty straight, and the traffic was minimal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
subbus said:
28MPG? Is that possible?

Yes, it is possible.. 27.6 Actual MPG. If you know how to work it, it is possible.

A healthy combination of downhill coasting, coasting instead of braking whenever possible, drafting semis (within limits of safety and reason), not passing people and having some patience does wonders for gas mileage.

Essentially a bit of hypermiling, mixed with being "that-guy" on the road. As long as I stay in the right lane and obey (almost) all of the traffic laws...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just got back off a short road trip (300 mi).....all interstate, running 70-80mph...averaged 23.4 off the computer.......pretty happy with that, especially with that constant highway speed.....have seen a lot worse, as we all have..

·
Registered
35 Posts
08 limited

since having the transmission cooler installed and seating the dampner properly, up to 23.9 driving 75-80 on highway road trips.

average 18+ for combined (never below except some rare circumstances with no issues).

same mpg that my friend gets in his V6 accord.

201 - 220 of 228 Posts