Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
You can get used Accord for $3000 with 29mpg and add with snow tires, it will run circles on snow around Tribeca. And the $10-15k you get back by trading in your Tribeca you can spend on some nice diamond ring for your wife. LOL

·
Registered
771 Posts
singincanary said:
we usually average right around 19.5 mpg with a mix of highway and city driving. we just took a 2000 mile trip down to south carolina and back. mostly highway miles obviously but we did do 4 days of local driving in myrtle beach. we averaged 22.5 mpg for the trip, best milage was coming home through NC and VA where we went 340 mile on a tank and averaged 23.3 mpg.

just had a fresh 30k mile service, so maybe that helped. and, only filled up on 89 octane.

That is about how my 07 car performs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
subbus said:
You can get used Accord for $3000 with 29mpg and add with snow tires, it will run circles on snow around Tribeca. And the $10-15k you get back by trading in your Tribeca you can spend on some nice diamond ring for your wife. LOL
Well if I were interested in a completely different, used car, for $3000 I can get a REALLY nice XT6 too. The benefit there is that it's a car that's EXTREMELY easy to work on, AWD, and has a non-interference engine. Added bonus: you don't see one on either side of you in traffic - in fact, you'd be hard pressed to see one anywhere in a month - so it's sort of a "poor man's exotic". ;)

To push the point, if I were really interested in giving up my wife's Tribeca for the sake of mileage only, a motorcycle would do fine.

...it will run circles on snow around Tribeca.
I live in Florida - snow's incredibly rare here. However, if we ever get a snowfall like we did in December of 1989, I'm set. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
drbrousters said:
All in all, a 15 gallon fill-up for Premium is about $3 more expensive than Regular...and if you run lower octane than recommended you will notice a difference in performance, mileage, AND DAMAGE THE VALVES in your engine.:eek:

What I'm trying to say is, the Tribeca is staying in my driveway. All things considered, it's a better deal for now...and probably forever...
AND I'M GOING TO BUY PREMIUM GAS!!!:naughty:
This is a great point that I always forget to mention in the classic "premium vs. regular" debate. I know I'm willing to pay $3 more every 10 days to ensure things run the way they should. And again, running a tank of regular every now and then isn't going to cause problems, especially if it's burned straight through on the highway, so the $3 per tank thing may not even apply to every tankful.

But yeah, very good point indeed. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Believe it or not, I bought my first XT6 brand new in 1989, and I remember this commercial being on the air!

(Yes, I'm "old" @ 48 :lol:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
"Accord for $3000 with 29mpg and add with snow tires, it will run circles on snow around Tribeca."
I don't want something that will run circles around ANYTHING in the snow. One of the reasons the Accord does circles better is the uneven weight distribution between the front and back end.

I want a car that is stable, stops quickly and safely, handles both straight road and curves without a problem, and corrects slippage when I hit a patch of ice. The Tribeca does ALL THESE things much better than an Accord with snow tires
...though running in circles is fun in an empty parking lot
...and the Accord might do it better.

·
Registered
771 Posts
It was a sort of a joke.

But how many of you have dedicated winter tires on your Tribeca? When the temperature drops and you get some wet roads, not necessary snow, you hit the brake, AWD, stability control and ABS kicks in but there is just so much it can be done with all season tires and heavy vehicle.

This is where a lighter 2WD car with dedicated winter tires kicks same ass.

I have tried it on snow, you can't stop that car as fast as my accord with no ABS but with winter tires. But if you live in Florida it does not matter. You do not need winter tires obviously.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Subbus, I know you were joking. I have Goodyear TriplTreds on my Tribeca which are winter tires that run 60000 miles on an SUV and 80000 on a passenger vehicle with NO NEED FOR CHANGEOVER for Spring or Summer.

Though the 2WD lighter car might seem better to you in light snow, with heavy snow, ruts with packed snow and ice, it can't compare.

·
Registered
146 Posts
(got called away before I could finish last post)

As far as stopping, I have had the TripleTreds on a 2WD vehicle after studded snowtires; The Goodyears outperformed the studded snow tires. The other problem with FWD is weight distribution which can cause the back end to tend to swing around...and heavier vehicles can stop better on ice as the weight can keep them in contact with the surface better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Back on topic, MPG from your B9T; take a look here:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=4712

This is my only car and my every day commuter. (7 seater needed to hold all the kids so trading for a smaller car is not an option.) I drive close to 27,000 miles per year so I pay attention to my fuel economy and the price of gas.

Even driving like a madman I still get close to 22 MPG. (Granted it's ~95% Highway.)

~heh~ YMMV?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well the Tribeca is my wife's so the mileage is all her really. She gets almost consistently 21.3 mpg in 65/35 hwy/city driving. She commutes about 40+ miles per day M-F, mostly on I-95 in off-peak traffic. On the weekends it's typical suburban Florida traffic.

Now, three things to bear in mind are:

• It's JAX, FL and totally flat
• The A/C compressor is on almost constantly (even when it's cold out as she just adjusts the temperature)
• The cruise control died about a year and a half ago

·
Registered
146 Posts
"When the temperature drops and you get some wet roads, not necessary snow, you hit the brake, AWD, stability control and ABS kicks in but there is just so much it can be done with all season tires and heavy vehicle."

subbus

Just re-read your post and realized you, at one point, you were talking about stopping on WET road. I don't know how the cars compare, but suspect you're correct in being able to stop faster in a lighter car...but...you sacrifice the comfort and convenience of the Tribeca and I'm not sure the stopping distance is significant. By the way, the TripleTred is rated "A" on wet road.

As for comfort, until recently I had never realized how much better it is on my 61 y/o back to get into the Tribeca instead of the Camry I own. I also have noticed how much better the Tribeca feels on the highway...and I really like my Camry. The heavier Tribeca just rides smoother and feels more solid; less affected by the wind and rain...Guess I'm just old...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes, your all-season tire is rated 'A' on wet. But that is "all season" rating. Snow tires, logically, are rated under lower temperatures. So a winer 'A' rated tire is going to perform much better when temperatures drop. Especially on snow, wet, but even on dry surface.

Go to tire rack website and browse through their video collection. You will be amazed how differently different tires perform.

It can make a difference whether you hit a pedestrian or not. Whether you stop on a stop sign or you overshoot.

I love the comfort of my Tribeca but it does not drive like a car. It drives like a truck. For example, it should be more effected by a side wind then my car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hmm...My Tribeca is much more stable in the wind than my Camry. I also own a '99 Lumina. The turning radius is much smaller in the Tribeca. It's more truck-like in that regard than the Tribeca; it feels heavy, loose and "clumsy." And the stability and ride of the Lumina are much worse. At high speed, it feels like it's floating. It's also miserable to get in and out of and the seats offer little to no support. I hate the car, but it has extremely low miles on it, and is economical to drive to/from work.

Here is a link to Tire Rack's test results for my tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMakeModel=Goodyear_Assurance+TripleTred+All-Season_1
The TripeTred is unique. They also have a tread designed to shed water. It isn't a snow tire, but will act that way in snow and (this is the selling point to me) on ICE. I travel 700 miles several times a year to visit my daughter in Montana. It requires climbing 4 mountain passes and 1 of those can have snow/ice any month of the year. I never know when I'll need the ability to maintain traction on ice. Between my tires and the Tribeca's stability control system, it's never a problem...but...
I wouldn't buy them if I lived in Florida...And...

Around town, the Tribeca's gas mileage is so bad that I only use it when going somewhere with my wife. She LOVES the car; especially the heated seats.

·
Registered
771 Posts
All-season and winter tires are made for different condition. The rubber of all-season tires is much harder so it can take the summer heat. This rubber hardens with decrease of temperatures. Winter tires are made from softer rubber. They would wear out very fast during summer. But the softer rubber would maintain better grip. On top of that the thread pattern is very different. Just look at any all season tire and you will not see a pattern like winter tires have: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Graspic+DS-3

All-seaon tires when used during all 4 seasons is a compromise.

On my sedan, I do not even have all-season tires. I have dedicated summer and winter tires. So when there is snow, Tribeca stays nice and warm in the garage and the old sedan is driven.

Look under the winter tires section: http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp#viewAll

·
Registered
146 Posts
Again, the TripleTred is unique.
They are rated at 60,000 miles for Tribeca, 80,000 miles for passenger cars. Despite that, they are an approved traction device for mountain passes (like studded snow tires or dedicated winter tires). If you have all/4-wheel drive, you don't need chains where chains are otherwise required. With front or rear wheel drive you still need chains at those times.
AND BEST OF ALL: You don't need 2 sets of tires or to do change-over in Winter/Spring. That's money saved for me as my back and neck prevent me from doing myself. The savings:
1 set of tires, though not cheap, cheaper than 2.
1 set of wheels vs 2 or 1 trip to the tire shop to have the regular tires/winter tires dismounted/remounted on the 1 set of wheels.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh, and I have the TripleTreds on my other 2 vehicles as well. Same savings. Believe me, I've done the 2 sets of tires and wheels thing. 1 set is better...and traction is as good as studded snow tires. Never had any other type of winter tire, so I can't compare, but believe a dedicated winter tire would do better...and wear out quicker.

181 - 200 of 228 Posts