Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 Tribeca, 7 passenger, limited, OBP:

We get 15.9 miles per gallon, way under what the manufacturer claims, but its mostly city driving with the a/c on full blast too, yes it gets hot here in houston.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
'06 Tribeca, 7 passenger, limited, OBP:

We get 15.9 miles per gallon, way under what the manufacturer claims, but its mostly city driving with the a/c on full blast too, yes it gets hot here in houston.
Ditto on the MPG. The question is, are you deriving this from the little doo-hickey on the Nav screen? I am not 100% sure how accurate that thing really is.

Either way, the window sticker is waaaay off in this regard, but its MPG is still better than most cars in its class. Maybe having the car tell us this info is just making us ultra-aware of the MPGs where as without it, you just go by feel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HB_Dad said:
Ditto on the MPG. The question is, are you deriving this from the little doo-hickey on the Nav screen? I am not 100% sure how accurate that thing really is.

Either way, the window sticker is waaaay off in this regard, but its MPG is still better than most cars in its class. Maybe having the car tell us this info is just making us ultra-aware of the MPGs where as without it, you just go by feel?
yeah i am. i see the meter go up an down (as in this case left to right) as i accelerate or decelerate. actually i'm getting 17.9 now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
yeah i am. i see the meter go up an down (as in this case left to right) as i accelerate or decelerate. actually i'm getting 17.9 now.
What kind of fuel are you using? If you are using premium (recommended), where are you getting it from? The reason I ask is that I use premium, but it is Arco gas, so premium there is 91 Octane (California). All of the local 76 stations, however, have 93 Octane Premium. I wonder how much difference the extra Octane makes besides 8-10 cents a gallon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HB_Dad said:
What kind of fuel are you using? If you are using premium (recommended), where are you getting it from? The reason I ask is that I use premium, but it is Arco gas, so premium there is 91 Octane (California). All of the local 76 stations, however, have 93 Octane Premium. I wonder how much difference the extra Octane makes besides 8-10 cents a gallon?
i use 93 octane, we are paying $3.19/gallon :mad:
Here in houston, we dont have 91.
We have 87,89,93.

Subaru recommends an octane rating of 91 or higher, wish we had 91 here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
MPG

Best Recorded Mileage = 24.1 (Almost all Highway)

Worst Recorded Mileage = 8.6 (Almost all local)

Average = 14-15 MPG


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
in the summer, i get 18.9, sometimes i even squeezed out 20mpg city... but at the moment she needs new filters, and the cold weather is robbing my mileage, i avg 16.8-17.1 mpg now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Eh, we don't worry about the MPG's. We just drive it and enjoy.
I'm with Magic Marker on this one;) For now its our weekend ride, if I had to commute in it daily...then it would be a different story. I only drive it to work when it's forecasted to be winter weather out (ie: today and tomorrow here in NJ:p )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
snork said:
I'm with Magic Marker on this one;) For now its our weekend ride, if I had to commute in it daily...then it would be a different story. I only drive it to work when it's forecasted to be winter weather out (ie: today and tomorrow here in NJ:p )
That was my plan for the B9, but my gf has another idea.

She could care less about MPG's. She rather be driven around in the B9 then drive in our 04 Civic which obviously uses less gas. She likes the heated leather seats and AWD. She also feels safer and more secure in the B9 during inclement weather. Besides, I get to drive it and it's always a blast!

We drive the Civic once a week on the weekends. I'll end up selling the civic in 2013 and it'll probably only have 60k on it at this rate ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
I have been maintaining a steady 19.5MPG average over the past 6500 miles (using onboard computer in the Navsystem). This is normal driving... A/C when desired, occiasional "sporty driving" using manual shift :D, both highway and stop&Go. I think it's fair to say thats the rock solid average for my 2007 Limited.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I seem to get getting just under 13mpg. I'm doing the conversions from metric to imperial (I'm in Toronto). We're thinking of getting rid off our 07 navi LTD. We love the driving and the comfort but since 99.9% of our driving is in the city, that gas mileage is just not good enough. Fuel is at around $1.05 a litre right now. The 65 litre tank is usually a $55 fill up. We're doing this 3-4 times a month and tracking a tank lasting only 300-350 kms. $200 fuel costs shouldn't be the case when my wife drives a total of 15 kms in a given day plus the odd 30 km round trip on the weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
arh said:
I seem to get getting just under 13mpg. I'm doing the conversions from metric to imperial (I'm in Toronto). We're thinking of getting rid off our 07 navi LTD. We love the driving and the comfort but since 99.9% of our driving is in the city, that gas mileage is just not good enough. Fuel is at around $1.05 a litre right now. The 65 litre tank is usually a $55 fill up. We're doing this 3-4 times a month and tracking a tank lasting only 300-350 kms. $200 fuel costs shouldn't be the case when my wife drives a total of 15 kms in a given day plus the odd 30 km round trip on the weekend.
I believe, for the most part, all of the B9 owners in here have a B9 as the second car, not the primary car.

My gf loves the drive and comforts the B9 has, so she could care less about how much gas costs. I had to convince her to test out 89 octane and see if there is any impact on performance vs. 93. So far, no noticable difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
I'm not sure what you guys are doing wrong....

This is our 3rd fill-up

We're AVERAGING 21 mpg on 85 Octane

and AVERAGING 23 mpg on 87 Octane.

I don't even bother putting premium in it.

My wife drives it daily 45 minutes into the city..... then another 20 minutes putzing around the city..... so it's a pretty accurate mixture of city and highway.

thats actuall gallons vs. miles..... not the doo-hickey on the dash.

You guys racing STIs out there or what?? LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Yeah, we've put about 2k miles on it now over the past 2 months, we're averaging 19.5 mpg (my own calcs based on range/gas put in) running on regular 87 gas. The computer reports 20.5 mpg. And we do about 50/50 highway/town driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
ninefourteener said:
I'm not sure what you guys are doing wrong....

This is our 3rd fill-up

We're AVERAGING 21 mpg on 85 Octane

and AVERAGING 23 mpg on 87 Octane.

I don't even bother putting premium in it.

My wife drives it daily 45 minutes into the city..... then another 20 minutes putzing around the city..... so it's a pretty accurate mixture of city and highway.

thats actuall gallons vs. miles..... not the doo-hickey on the dash.

You guys racing STIs out there or what?? LOL
When we filled up with 87, the B9 felt a bit sluggish off the line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
ninefourteener said:
I'm not sure what you guys are doing wrong....

This is our 3rd fill-up

We're AVERAGING 21 mpg on 85 Octane

and AVERAGING 23 mpg on 87 Octane.

I don't even bother putting premium in it.

My wife drives it daily 45 minutes into the city..... then another 20 minutes putzing around the city..... so it's a pretty accurate mixture of city and highway.

thats actuall gallons vs. miles..... not the doo-hickey on the dash.

You guys racing STIs out there or what?? LOL

You can actually get 85 octane where you live :eek: :eek: :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
we usually average right around 19.5 mpg with a mix of highway and city driving. we just took a 2000 mile trip down to south carolina and back. mostly highway miles obviously but we did do 4 days of local driving in myrtle beach. we averaged 22.5 mpg for the trip, best milage was coming home through NC and VA where we went 340 mile on a tank and averaged 23.3 mpg.

just had a fresh 30k mile service, so maybe that helped. and, only filled up on 89 octane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
We've had our '06 for about 3,500 miles. Average for that time 18.3 MPG with a even mix of highway/city. The display on the NAV screen is pretty darm accurate +- .1/.2 MPG We have seen tanks over 20 MPG but always seem to average about the same.

BTW, one person commented about most of our B9s being 2nd cars. This is my wife's primary car and the one the kids always want to take, so it is pretty much our primary car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
The Subaru boxer engine has never been synonymous with getting good gas milage, couple that with full time AWD, a heavy SUV and city driving and you have the makings of a thirsty car. I guess thats the price we pay for having a cool SUV that actually works in the snow! Go light on the foot around town and let it loose on the highway!
 
1 - 20 of 224 Posts
Top