Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a 2006 B9 tribeca but am unsure of how it will do in muddy conditions? I have owned a 1986 subie hatchback and a 2002 forester and i loved them both. Now I am looking at getting somthing a little bigger but we live down a road that goes all to heck in the springtime and gets very very muddy in places where it frost heaves. Does anyone know how the B9T will do in these conditions?
FYI: I don't mean to insult but if you don't know what a frost heave is think of a dirt road with a spring in the middle that get driven over all the time and creats a mud hole. It starts as a soft spot in the road and as it gets driven on more it pops.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd imagine a B9 would do quite well in the mud. I know it's a different topic, but check out the videos on youtube of B9s power drifting through the snow! Another good feature are the relatively wide (255) tires which will help it float better on the mud/snow. Most all Subarus have a pretty similar AWD system and if you've had good luck with Foresters and Imprezas a B9 should do you just fine as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I am impressed, i was a little worried about how it would do in the snow also because it is so much bigger then my other subies but it looks like it handles snowy conditions like a dream. Do the B9's have a skid plate under the engine like the other subies do? or is the an after market thing i could get?

·
Registered
552 Posts
There is no actual skid plate like you would think of on an off-road truck but there is a plate on the bottom that sort of protects the engine (there's a small hatch you have to unbolt to change the oil)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) Thanks, that is what i was thinking of, i remember having to change the oil in my 1986 hatchback and that was a royal pain because of that plate but i could not remember if my forester had one or not.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The cover is just plastic to keep out most of the dirt/mud. Its not really there to protect the engine from damage occuring from bottoming out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
akcowgirl said:
Ok I am impressed, i was a little worried about how it would do in the snow also because it is so much bigger then my other subies but it looks like it handles snowy conditions like a dream. Do the B9's have a skid plate under the engine like the other subies do? or is the an after market thing i could get?
There is no real steel or aluminum skid plate on B9; it's a plastic cover that protects the engine bay from dirt and mud. I can imagine that it should be relatively easy to fit Impreza steel skid plate or get one custom made if you beleive the road gets that bad that oil pan can touch the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SubOperator said:
There is no real steel or aluminum skid plate on B9; it's a plastic cover that protects the engine bay from dirt and mud. I can imagine that it should be relatively easy to fit Impreza steel skid plate or get one custom made if you beleive the road gets that bad that oil pan can touch the ground.
I think that is what I would have to do, it is just in the spring that I worry about, I would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for the idea. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.