Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! My 2010 Tribeca just hit 100k and 11 years... Subaru's recommended coolant change time. While I am at it, I am considering changing the hoses as well. I went to the dealership to get the official Subaru coolant and I inquired about the hoses. They only have half of the hoses in stock. I mentioned that the service manual did not have a change interval for the hoses. He shrugged and said, " yeah. Sometimes we see cars that old and the hoses look perfect, and other times the hoses look terrible. Maybe there are good and bad batches of hoses."

I don't think I am crazy --the factory service manual does not have a recommended hose change interval, as far as I can tell. Looking online, in general, many sites suggest that you should consider changing out your hoses every 5 or 6 years. I have only had the car for 4 years now, but I have all of the maintenance records from new, and I think that these are the original hoses. They are 11 years old, but they still look perfect. Thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me rephrase/provide more context: I am planning to head out on a road trip in a few days -- and even if I weren't heading out on a trip, I like to always have my vehicle in "ready for a road trip" shape. I've rotated my tires, checked brake pads, changed oil, ATF, and diff fluids. Now I have the coolant, but I don't have any of the hoses. Subaru says it's time to change the coolant, but doesn't say anything about the hoses. My options before my trip:

--do nothing.
--change out the coolant, but don't touch the hoses.

If I'm going to go to the trouble of draining and refilling my cooling system, and my hoses are 11 years old, it's probably a cheap investment to put fresh hoses in when I change out the coolant. My plan: to order the hoses (which are likely to arrive after I leave) and change coolant and hoses when I get back. I'll bring plenty of water and that special duct tape that works on wet hoses, and I'll check my coolant level with each fill-up.

Or are these parts where a careful inspection (no bulges, cracks, or stiff rubber) are reliable indicators of hose health?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I find Subaru factory hoses are of good quality and probably won't give any trouble for many years. When we got our 07, 5 years ago, I changed out with factory hoses except for the heater hose with which I used silicone. Pretty sure they were all original hoses with 140k. On the 06 I just put together, I went with silicone for everything. A bit pricey and I had to custom piece some together, as no one makes a kit for the Tribeca. I also eliminated all the metal piping in the heater and oil cooler circuits and ran straight hose. Many have reported those rusting out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...oh ,and how many hoses are there? When I was at the dealer and said, "while I'm changing out the coolant, I might as well change my hoses. Do you have them in stock?"
He said, "which ones?"
I said, "all of them, I suppose. How many are there?"
He said, "there are a bunch," then went to the parts diagrams, and said, "Four?"
I'm looking through the factory service manual. I see 4 big ones (labeled "A", "B", "C", and "D" in the manual), but when I was under the car working on something else ,I thought I saw coolant hoses going to each head?

CO (H6DO)-4 shows a short little hose (part #8), which attaches right by the thermostat.
CO (H6DO)-5 shows a "preheater hose" (part #2)
CO (H6DO)-6 shows the 4 radiator hoses
I find Subaru factory hoses are of good quality and probably won't give any trouble for many years. When we got our 07, 5 years ago, I changed out with factory hoses except for the heater hose with which I used silicone. Pretty sure they were all original hoses with 140k. On the 06 I just put together, I went with silicone for everything. A bit pricey and I had to custom piece some together, as no one makes a kit for the Tribeca. I also eliminated all the metal piping in the heater and oil cooler circuits and ran straight hose. Many have reported those rusting out.
Interesting that you've gotten rid of the metal piping -- I had just assumed that those would be much more durable than the rubber hoses, especially if you're using coolant and distilled water -- I thought that the coolant had rust inhibitors!

·
Registered
121 Posts
...oh ,and how many hoses are there? When I was at the dealer and said, "while I'm changing out the coolant, I might as well change my hoses. Do you have them in stock?"
He said, "which ones?"
I said, "all of them, I suppose. How many are there?"
He said, "there are a bunch," then went to the parts diagrams, and said, "Four?"
I'm looking through the factory service manual. I see 4 big ones (labeled "A", "B", "C", and "D" in the manual), but when I was under the car working on something else ,I thought I saw coolant hoses going to each head?

CO (H6DO)-4 shows a short little hose (part #8), which attaches right by the thermostat.
CO (H6DO)-5 shows a "preheater hose" (part #2)
CO (H6DO)-6 shows the 4 radiator hoses

Interesting that you've gotten rid of the metal piping -- I had just assumed that those would be much more durable than the rubber hoses, especially if you're using coolant and distilled water -- I thought that the coolant had rust inhibitors!
Yes, should be more durable but other members have had them rust out. From the outside - in, I'm assuming. Mine is a Florida car and had rust on the outside.

·
Registered
794 Posts
All original hoses on a 2006 model, just under 113,000 miles. The bottom radiator hose looks easy to replace when doing the thermostat, but I'll wait till the radiator goes. I'd be more worried about rust on the steel bypass tubing around the bottom of the engine as mentioned above. Mine had rust spots since I got the car (used). I treated those with rust converter and apply some grease annually, easier than painting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts