Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post here on the forum. I just bought a 2013 Tribeca and need a 2" hitch installed. Since the factory ones are 1.25" I have to go aftermarket. I have a question though. How rigid are the Curt/Drawtite hitches on the Tribeca, anyone have one?

I had a 2" on my Crosstrek and it flexes quite a bit with a bike rack and a few bikes even when under the max tongue weight of 200 lbs.

I plan to put my 70 pounds 6 bike rack on the Tribeca, with 6 bikes loaded up will be about 250lbs. This works very well on my Pilot and is solid enough to not worry about them on a forest service road. I actually dropped a bike using the Crosstrek and style rack with only 2 bikes because it was whiplashing so much.

I'd like to hear about anyone else's experience. The after market hitches for the Tribeca appear much less robust than my Pilots.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I’ve had a curt hitch on my 2008 Tribeca Since I got it for the past 3 years. It’s very solid and rated for much more tongue weight than you will ever subject it to with your bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had a curt hitch on my 2008 Tribeca Since I got it for the past 3 years. It’s very solid and rated for much more tongue weight than you will ever subject it to with your bikes.
Thanks for the reply. It's not so much the hitch I am worried about, its the flexing at the subframe connections. This is where the Crosstrek had all of its flex despite being well under the rated tongue weight. It doesn't really sound like you have any issues though. Have you used yours for bike racks? Driven off road?

·
Registered
87 Posts
understand your concern. No, haven’t used the hitch for a bike rack but have towed utility trailers with substantial tongue weight. Haven’t noticed a flex problem because of the mounting. It’s rock solid. You may already have noticed that Subaru set the Tribeca up for towing by supplying a connector in the area where there is storage under the rear floor panel. The converter supplied with the hitch worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Used a 2" on our tribeca for a trailer and our 4 bike rack. Both seemed super solid. I don't remember which exact brand, but it was pretty much the 'standard.' I think it was reese, which I believe is the same as the drawtite.

I concur, it was rock solid.

Did you install the hitch on the crosstrek yourself? I wonder if the installer took a short cut?

Either way, do it, you will be happy on the tribeca other than having to get those dang hangers off to drop the exhaust. Use some silicon spray to help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Used a 2" on our tribeca for a trailer and our 4 bike rack. Both seemed super solid. I don't remember which exact brand, but it was pretty much the 'standard.' I think it was reese, which I believe is the same as the drawtite.

I concur, it was rock solid.

Did you install the hitch on the crosstrek yourself? I wonder if the installer took a short cut?

Either way, do it, you will be happy on the tribeca other than having to get those dang hangers off to drop the exhaust. Use some silicon spray to help!
Hi, thanks for the reply. I did the Crosstrek one myself and kept retorqing to make sure I didnt make a mistake because there was so much "flex" if I stood on the hitch I could force about 1/2" of play. I may have missed something in the install but I really don't think so.

I installed the Tribeca hitch last week and transported 6 bikes this past weekend. The install was a piece of cake. I didnt have to drop the exhaust or remove the bumper with the style used. It was very solid after install. Not as solid as my pilot but more than adequate. I do wish there was a 2" that moutned in the same location as the OEM one though. Really lacking clearance on the service roads....time for some saggy butt spacers maybe. haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts