Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you folks experienced a high pitch sound (sort of like whistling) in the 2200-2300 rpm range, which during highway cruising is about 62-65 mph? The sound only seems to occur somewhere in this rpm range and, while it can be drowned out by the radio, is really annoying. I have experienced this sound from day one.

At least one other 08/09 Tribeca owner has experienced this sound --

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1b6a97

If you have experienced this sound and especially if you know the root cause and a fix, please let me know.

Many thanks.:(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took the Tribeca to the dealer yesterday. I rode with the mechanic and he confirmed the noise, which he said is not any of the usual noise associated with the drivetrain. This is a high-pitched whine/whistle that only seems to occur ~2300 rpm (~66 mph). The mechanic tightened a loose clamp at the throttle body, but driving the car today I found that the noise is still present. To me, it does not appear to be the engine at fault, because revving the engine in Park does not produce the noise.

If anybody notices this noise on their car, please let me know. I am trying to educate myself, the dealer, and Subaru NA about this issue. Since the same drivetrain is now in the Outback, I am guessing that the problem will become more prevalent -- as you know, there aren't many Tribecas on the road.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't have an 08/09, so can't say for sure, but is it possible it's an airflow noise?
(ie: wind noise around windows/sunroof, over hood etc...)

My old 300zx used to have a whine/whistle caused by the window seals (old/dried out) when cruising above 70. Had a "whistle" on another car that occurred only around 55mph, below or above that and the noise would go away, in this case it turned out to be caused by airflow over an aftermarket cell phone antenna booster (curled antenna near the top of the rear window) that a previous owner had installed.

A buddy of mine had a "whistle" that occured at around 45 on his honda, caused by the "wind-screen" on his sunroof, and another had a noise that would happen at 75 on his Silverado caused by the bug guard on the hood.

Just something to consider...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I have considered and ruled out wind noise. The noise occurs at ~2300 rpm when accelerating at different speeds and while cruising at ~66 mph. The sound seems to taper off or be less noticeable at higher speeds. I think this is most likely transmission-related.

Here is a thread describing what appears to be the same issue a Hyundai owner experienced. After replacing the intake, alternator, and several other repairs, the transmission was replaced and the noise disappeared. Unfortunately, it took this person 2 years and a lot of angst to get the issue resolved.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=7643&st=0

Knowledge is power. Thank goodness for these forums and contributors like you all. Keep it up!

In the interest of helping out fellow Tribeca owners, I will continue to keep you posted on my problem. I will be following up with Subaru NA about my vehicle tomorrow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi folks.

I'm still experiencing this high frequency whine that begins at 65 mph under power. The noise goes away if I let off the gas. The issue I'm having seems very similar to the one described here regarding the Phase II 4EAT transmission. Has anyone else been experiencing this noise?
www.endwrench.com/current/Current6/03/InsiderInfo.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whistling noise at 35+ mph

We seem to be experiencing the same problem now. Our 07 Tribeca makes a whistling noise that appears to originate in the rear upon driving for at least 10 - 15 minutes and only at speeds in excess of 35 mph or so. Took it to the dealer and they could not duplicate which is NUTS since it does it every time. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have the same with my Toyota truck. High pitched whine at 2200 rpm only when driving but not in park revving engine. Took drive with tech and he did not heat it. This was noticed after flush of transmission. Check transmission fluid level as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts