Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Finally installed an aftermarket HID kit for both my low beams (H7) and my fog lamps (H3). As you have read in other threads it was kind of a pain but the product was awesome. I am not sure if it’s the kits I got have some sort of voltage threshold cutout but I tested them with DRL and I do not have any flickering, they just turn off totally. There was also some concern that I had about whether or not they would be considered "street legal" because some standard incandesant bulb housing optics are not compatible with HID bulbs...you will blind oncoming traffic if they are not focused correctly. Fortunately our Tribeca OEM low beam housings have the focused lens that will project the HID beam in the exact location as the OEM bulb. This is bittersweet because there is still that annoying (and sometimes dangerous) line in your line of sight.

I used 6000K For both sets of lights. I did not want them to be too "blue".

Here are some of the install pics, front view pics and light pattern display on my garage door.

-DrCox

The install of the Driver's Side Fog lamp was the worst. you have to enter from the bottom, Mounting the ballast you need to be careful because there is a moisture concern. I reused the OEM rubber grommet and wrapped some tape around it to make sure it was a snug fit. Time will tell.

The lowebeams were not so bad. You have to remove the entire airbox system on the passenger side and the battery / battery box on the driver side. Mounting can be done in the outskirts of the fenders with no issue. I still used the OEM screw on covers for these as well. Make sure to meter the headlight leads to make sure you have the correct positive and negative. In the H7 slots the POSITIVE wire was solid black and the NEGATIVE was black w/red stripe.

Here are some mid-install pics. I had everything wired in but not mounted. I wanted to be sure everything was right.

Here are the final install pics.

WITH FOGLAMPS:

WITHOUT FOG LAMPS:

·
Registered
8 Posts
what did you use for a 12v source and did you have to use the ground wiring trick discussed in the HID conversion thread?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bud659 said:
what did you use for a 12v source and did you have to use the ground wiring trick discussed in the HID conversion thread?
No Tricks, went straight into the OEM Plug. Ballasts run from 10-24 VDC I believe (can look up for sure). No trick wiring either, no flickering and when I tried the DTRL, they just shut off the ballasts. No Flickering there either. I believe the ballasts have some sort of voltage cutoff where they will not even kick on by design, not sure, speculation.

Honestly I am super impressed with the results, I had feared the worst but got the best.

Any more questions feel free to ask!

-DrCox

·
Registered
136 Posts
That looks awesome I did my headlights as well about a year ago, now you've convinced me to do my fogs. Not as talented as you I will be visiting a mechanic

·
Registered
10 Posts
What brand HID kit did you go with? Can't read the name on the ballasts... I am hoping for a warm Wisconsin weekend to put mine in! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PaulMac said:
What brand HID kit did you go with? Can't read the name on the ballasts... I am hoping for a warm Wisconsin weekend to put mine in! :)
I went with the Xentec kit for both Fogs and Lowbeams. Online sources have mixed reviews, some bad some good. I checked the feedback of the seller on Ebay before I purchased to see how many people were complaining. There were 1 or 2 people who received faulty ballasts at time of purchase but the company had no issue mailing out a replacement.

Most reviews I found online that were negative were citing the strobing issue, which I believe is due alot in part to people who do not understand the difference between DRL voltage and the actual lowbeam input voltage.

I have had mine for just under a month now. They are on whenever the car is on day or night (both lows and fogs) and I have yet to have any issues.

As far as waiting for a warm day, I highly suggest it. The install does require a moderate amount of dexterity (especially on the drivers side) so doing it with cold fingers might prove to only add to the frustration.

Good luck and I cannot wait to see the pictures of your installed lights!

-DrCox

·
Registered
17 Posts
DrCox said:
Hey all,

Finally installed an aftermarket HID kit for both my low beams (H7) and my fog lamps (H3). As you have read in other threads it was kind of a pain but the product was awesome. I am not sure if it’s the kits I got have some sort of voltage threshold cutout but I tested them with DRL and I do not have any flickering, they just turn off totally. There was also some concern that I had about whether or not they would be considered "street legal" because some standard incandesant bulb housing optics are not compatible with HID bulbs...you will blind oncoming traffic if they are not focused correctly. Fortunately our Tribeca OEM low beam housings have the focused lens that will project the HID beam in the exact location as the OEM bulb. This is bittersweet because there is still that annoying (and sometimes dangerous) line in your line of sight.

I used 6000K For both sets of lights. I did not want them to be too "blue".

Here are some of the install pics, front view pics and light pattern display on my garage door.

-DrCox

The install of the Driver's Side Fog lamp was the worst. you have to enter from the bottom, Mounting the ballast you need to be careful because there is a moisture concern. I reused the OEM rubber grommet and wrapped some tape around it to make sure it was a snug fit. Time will tell.

The lowebeams were not so bad. You have to remove the entire airbox system on the passenger side and the battery / battery box on the driver side. Mounting can be done in the outskirts of the fenders with no issue. I still used the OEM screw on covers for these as well. Make sure to meter the headlight leads to make sure you have the correct positive and negative. In the H7 slots the POSITIVE wire was solid black and the NEGATIVE was black w/red stripe.

Here are some mid-install pics. I had everything wired in but not mounted. I wanted to be sure everything was right.

Here are the final install pics.

WITH FOGLAMPS:

WITHOUT FOG LAMPS:

NICE!! I did mine today. H7 and H3.. All works well if I connected via the balast.. By any chance you did this install with the relay wires? I put the relay wires in but came across a few issues, One the Relay was buzzing 2 the the HID Flickered like stobe lights, I ended up just using the balast.. just trying to get other opinions

·
Registered
679 Posts
^ His (DrCox's) last activity was in March of 2011. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Damn, if the HIDs only last as long as the regular ones??? That's why I'm looking into HID, so I don't have to change out every 3-5 months...
thanks!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Changing bulbs every 3-5 months? Ouch. 2 years now, I only changed to the Osram Rallye 65w for more light, but I haven't had to replace it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Changing bulbs every 3-5 months? Ouch. 2 years now, I only changed to the Osram Rallye 65w for more light, but I haven't had to replace it.
yea I tried different types of hid vendors although it may be because I paid a hundred bucks or less who know either way it got to a point where it would work for like 3 months the then one side would die. thas when I decided to go back to silver star. it was freak when it worked

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.