Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Tribecca 2007 B9
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, thanks for your advice. I've had my 3L, 2007 7-seater for 1 year now. When I was looking at it, it had an oil leak. The right-side rocker cover was repaired straight after purchase and I didn't see any more leaks. I thought the worst was over.

I sent it in for a major service (at 205k km/ 128k miles it was slightly overdue) at Subaru and they listed the following faults: Replace left and right front drive shafts; Replace suspension arms; Major oil leak in engine, rocker cover RH (the one completely replaced?), front cover, cylinder head gasket both sides, rear main seal, upper oil sump; Large and small both sides of suspension arms split.

I'm heartbroken as I didn't expect the bill for fixing these to be far more than the car's worth.

I don't know what to do with it as it's not worthwhile to fix. I don't want to resell it and have another poor person get the big bill. I could sell it for parts, but will lose a lot of money from purchase price... I could run it until it's nearly gone, but it's a risk.

I would be very grateful for any advice from more experienced owners. Thank you

·
Registered
2007 Tribeca
210 Posts
I highly doubt that every bit of that needs to be done. A dealer sees any oil seepage and to them it needs to be dealt with. It gets expensive fast. The axles may just need new boots put on instead of replacing the entire axle. A small independent shop that you trust may be able to help you out on what really needs to be done. Oil leaks aren't good, but it may not be imperative as it will make a mess on the ground and you have to keep the oil level up so as not to damage the engine. Others I'm sure will offer their ideas.

·
Registered
Subaru Tribecca 2007 B9
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I highly doubt that every bit of that needs to be done. A dealer sees any oil seepage and to them it needs to be dealt with. It gets expensive fast. The axles may just need new boots put on instead of replacing the entire axle. A small independent shop that you trust may be able to help you out on what really needs to be done. Oil leaks aren't good, but it may not be imperative as it will make a mess on the ground and you have to keep the oil level up so as not to damage the engine. Others I'm sure will offer their ideas.
Thank you for that! I'll enquire as to the boots. I found it strange that they said there's a leak in section already replaced. There's no oil dripping onto the ground at all, so that's at least good. I guess nothing's perfect in an older car, but their list sounded pretty scary!

·
Registered
2007 Tribeca
210 Posts
There is an under tray that would catch oil before it hits the ground. I had and oil cooler adapter ring that would leak when it got cold and since it was right above the access panel it made it to the ground. Someplace else might not.

·
Registered
Subaru Tribecca 2007 B9
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that. Are you talking about the large plastic piece protecting the bottom front section of car from debree? If so, I removed that to fix the gasket oil leak.... and.... forgot where the 'safe' place was for the bolts, so it's still not back on lol.

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
474 Posts
I haven't really done boots myself, but in my case - workshop couldn't remove cv joints from halfshaft itself... so... you might end up "deeper" than you thought...
I am not sure about quality, but carquest, oreilly, walmart and others offer halfshafts for, like, 70-100bucks... if they hold at least year, I think that's good price.
and when you have "reserve" halfshafts, you can dismantle them slowly and repair if trying to hold on to the car.

as per oil leaks - my Tribeca eats roughly 1qt per tank... for... like 2yrs now... so - it is not great, but you can live with it.
not to mention few grands already spent on changing gaskets n stuff in workshop...

and actually - all that is not important when compared to your control arms. I don't know wtf is "Large and small both sides of suspension arms split. " - if that REALLY is control arms - you are sitting on time bomb. if they are talking about bushings... well... still manageable - those can be bought new.
p.s. and they need to learn how to speak :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts