Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the past couple of weeks on the net gathering info on the B9 and found lots of positive feedback (plenty on this site). I've driven a Forester 2.5 for the past 3 and a half years. Fantastic vehicle and really good dealer support. Anyway, took delivery of the tribeca yesterday. She's black and only has 5000kms on the clock. Can't wait to spend some time on the road!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome Dougie,

that makes three South Africans here ;-) I am still toying with the idea of the tribeca beign added as a family get-away weekend vehicle and if it wasn't for the lack of umph (power) we would have signed on the deal.
I would like to get your feedback to the fuel consumption I am kind of prepared for 13-14 l/100 km ( 20 miles to the gallon) but have heard real life is more like 17-18l/100 km (17-18 miles to the gallon) so not sure.
Also I really really wish there were 20 more hp or rather more torgue it would have been bought already.

Keep us posted as to your impressions I recon the fact a lot of people are happy with the performance and gearbox is because they did not know better it depands on what car they had before the Becca.
Good luck I will hopefully find a compeling reason not to look at the more expensive and getting on with age Touareg or Land Rover Discovery.

·
Registered
552 Posts
vescomilkov...I'll agree that power is mearly "adequate" for the Tribeca. Some added HP/torque would definitely be helpful, but in what car wouldn't it be? ;) That being said, if you are willing to jab the throttle and rev up the RPMs, there is enough power on tap to get going in a hurry but it's not there until you get past 4500 rpm.

As for fuel consumption, I'm not real sure about the L/100km....but we've had ours for about 13k miles now. If you baby the gas on the highway, we managed 23-24 mi/gal...example: we went about 55-60 mph (88-96 km/hr) for 2.5 hrs in a rain storm and acheived our best fuel mileage to date.

For our daily driving we manage about 18 mi/gal with a 60/40 (city/highway) percentage split. Regular road trips on the highway we typically manage 19-20 mpg going normal US highway speeds (~70 mi/hr, ~112 km/hr).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again from Durban

It's only been a week with the new car but I've done some city driving and 2 longer road trips already so here are my first impressions.

Solid roadholding (which I have come to expect as standard from a subaru) - the tribeca really sits on the road and always feels "in control". She feels a bit sluggish when driven gently but a) You're really doing 120 kmh when it seems like 90, and b) push the throttle and/or use sport mode and you have a fair bit of power in reserve. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday with quick acceleration for overtaking (100 kmh to 130 kmh) Fuel consumption has been 13/14 litres/100 km but I strongly suspect that "sporty" driving will push this up to the 17/18 you've heard about. The speedo-cruise looks to be a real gas saver on the open road (according to the info read out anyway).

The gearbox seems a touch quirky in mid range although I already prefer the 5 spd to the 4 spd I had in the Forester. It doesn't hunt but sometimes takes a while to shift down when you expect it to do so easily. Having said that, it's not really an issue and I'm sure I'll be used to it in another week or so.

Brakes seem a touch soft at slower suburban speeds, but believe me, they really work when you push the pedal a bit harder - I like this set up.

Allround, she is exceptionally solid, very comfortable and an absolute pleasure to drive. The only "negative" for me so far is some tyre noise above 100 kmh from the Goodyear wranglers that are currently fitted. According to the dealer these tyres have stronger side walls and are more suited to a bit of off-roading etc. You can opt for standard road tyres.

A real head turner in the traffic and I've had nothing but rave comments on the looks and interior (including from a Porsch Cayenne driving friend of mine yesterday).

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK not so bad then

Thank you for that I will have another look at the car tomorrow I hope that it feels better I am almost convinsed that the fuel dealership fills up with is the lower octane as opposed to 95 UL ( = 97 at the coast)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts