Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
both of my low beam headlights - driver and passenger side - have both stopped working. My fog lights and high beams still work, but no low beams. Any idea what might be the problem? I have checked the fuses and the are fine, and it doesn't seem likely that both lights would burn out at the same time. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're going to fix this yourself you'll need to invest in a multi-meter. My initial thought is the headlight switch, Second thought is the resistor, 3rd is the ignition switch, 4th is a burned up wire, probably in or around the fuse box under the hood.

I could be wrong on all thoughts but that's whereI'd start. Just probe around with the meter until you get to a spot with no voltage. The left and right bulbs are suppose to be on separate circuits so if botharen'tworking start with the common denominators. On my list that would be 1,3, and 4. I don't know how the resistor is wired other than it's on the negative side of the circuit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also, I don't know your back ground but i've seen many fuses that appear to be good at a glance but after putting a meter on it I discovered they were blown. I always probe my fuses even if they look okay.

I guess anything is possible, check the bulbs anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2008 but my mileage is super high. The guy before me made frequent trips from Wisconsin to California. So ixnay on the arrantyway - or nay to the warranty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Both my low beams burnt out at the same time. Could be as simple as that. Or not so simple, it is a pain to replace the bulbs.

xirurg said:
did you solve the issue? I am having the same problem- can you tell me which fuse is for headlights?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any solutions to this issue?

My GF's Tribeca suddenly is presenting the exact same symptoms. Both HL out a the same time. WAY too coincidental to be the bulbs.

Must be something common to both circuits. Switch and fuse seem likely candidates. Is there a relay that is common to both?

Sorry, I don't know anything specific to this vehicle, nor does she have an FSM. But, I'm plenty experienced with car diagnosis and repair (although I am not great with electrical stuff).

·
Registered
837 Posts
The bulbs are known to have short lives so I would start there, also it is possible that she was driving around with one out for a while before it the other went, my wife didn't notice she had one out luckily her father did.

·
Registered
65 Posts
FLsubies said:
The bulbs are known to have short lives so I would start there...
With all due respect, I disagree wholeheartedly with that. There has to be an underlying problem here to cause non-OEM bulbs to go that fast. My 2006 had only one go for the first time about 5 months ago, so I bought a matched pair (Sylvania SilverStars, disappointed) and replaced them both. This morning I see that BOTH of the fronts are now out, when they were BOTH fine just last week!!!

The stock Philips OEM bulbs were in there over 5 years, and the Sylvania Silverstars lasted 5 MONTHS!?!?! I know about the clean bulbs and about not touching the glass and making sure everything is assembled correctly and tightly, but this is a joke. I will be putting in the exact same OEM bulbs if these are indeed both burned out. I kept the one good bulb from the swap last time, and will swap the SSs one at a time to confirm them being burned out. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I should clarify my statement, aftermarket bulbs tend to have short lives in the tribeca, for some unknown reason. Possibly connected to the drl system. Subaru switches and relays control and limit power through the ground wires unlike most systems that do this through the power wire.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Both of my Silvania Silverstar ultras were bad, and had melted a bubble on the top in exactly the same way in about the same timeframe. Not a coincidence, IMHO. I may fire of an email and some pictures to them and see if they respond. I am not happy about both their perfomance and their useable life.

I ordered up some Philips Xtreme Power online for less than $30 shipped. I immediately noticed a crisper and brighter white light than the SS Ultras, and I hope that I get a bit more time out of them before they need replacing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
FLsubies said:
I should clarify my statement, aftermarket bulbs tend to have short lives in the tribeca, for some unknown reason. Possibly connected to the drl system. Subaru switches and relays control and limit power through the ground wires unlike most systems that do this through the power wire.
That only applies to 06-07 B9 Tribeca with the DRL using low beam, shouldn't be an issue for >08 with the high beam used for DRL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jerrica Did you find a solution to this? I started my 06 in the driveway today and before I even put it in drive I saw my running lights, that reflect off the garage door, both go out at the same time. I now have no low beams! Checked my fuses and they look fine. I can change them tomorrow but I find it very odd that they both went out at the same time..

·
Registered
771 Posts
FLsubies said:
Subaru switches and relays control and limit power through the ground wires unlike most systems that do this through the power wire.
It does not matter where you interrupt (insert relay) the circuit in relation to the battery and bulb. It makes no difference whatsoever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I pulled both of my low beams yesterday and both were burnt out. Weird that they both burnt at the same time. Anyway, put new bulbs in and so far so good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I replaced both the Low bulbs today. They fail like clockwork every year at this time. The Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Bulbs. I save the burned out ones and take them back close to the 1yr warranty for a new pair. Save your packaging and receipt!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts