Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Tribeca and last night I replaced the passenger side low beam bulb. I noticed now that the tail lights don't shut off, even when the switch is in the off position. I used to turn the switch to off and the tail lights would turn off. I know that the head lights stay on because of the drl feature, but are the tail lights supposed to stay on too? The lights are completely off when the key is turned to the "acc" position and the switch is turned off, but when I turn the ignition and start the car then the tail lights and head lights come on even though the switch says off. I know for sure it is NOT the parking switch on, as I've fiddled with it already. I've also tried switching the position of the wires that attach to the bulb. Has anyone had this problem before?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I believe the taillights are always on this has been the case on a couple of our subarus, namely the 07 legacy and 07 tribeca the headlights that are on are the DRLs. Check the instrument panel there should be a indicator for parking lights and for headlights, are they on as well or is it just the tail lights alone? Front parking lights on?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Changing a front bulb wouldn't make any difference, even if the wires were reversed, worst case is that an LED bulb would not illuminate (a halogen would)... it wouldn't affect anything else.

With the ignition switch OFF, turn the headlight and parking switches off and then turn the ignition switch to ON (but do not start the car). Are the headlights and tail lights on or off?

If either head or tail lights are illuminated, apply the parking brake. Do they turn off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changing a front bulb wouldn't make any difference, even if the wires were reversed, worst case is that an LED bulb would not illuminate (a halogen would)... it wouldn't affect anything else.

With the ignition switch OFF, turn the headlight and parking switches off and then turn the ignition switch to ON (but do not start the car). Are the headlights and tail lights on or off?

If either head or tail lights are illuminated, apply the parking brake. Do they turn off?
When I turn the ignition switch to ON, all lights are off. Depressing the parking brake also turns all lights off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I flipped through the owner's manual and it seems that the tail lights being on is part of the DRL system. I owned an 06 Tribeca before my current 07, and the tail lights were not included in the DRL system for the 06. I assumed that they both would be the same, my mistake! Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I flipped through the owner's manual and it seems that the tail lights being on is part of the DRL system. I owned an 06 Tribeca before my current 07, and the tail lights were not included in the DRL system for the 06. I assumed that they both would be the same, my mistake! Thanks for the replies.
Well that's interesting to know. Thanks for the research.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts