Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a strange problem heppen to my wife's '06 last week. She called me at work and said the sport light is flashing. I asked her if the car was running OK and if the transmission seemed to be shifting OK. Both answers were yes so I told here to drive it and let me know if something changes.

Now the sport light is suppose to act as the transmission check engine light, flashing means a transmission error. So I brought home the test equipment that night and found no stored codes in the engine or transmission controllers, how strange. I started looking further and found two codes in another module, one leading back to a communications issue with the transmission control module. Cleared the codes and drove it and found no problem or so I thought.

Fast forward to Thursday AM, My wife calls and said it's flashing againbut only after she turned on the headlights, Hmmm! :confused:

Did some more testing and happened to notice it's getting dark and the DRLs don't appear to be on. Sure enough I get out and no DRLs, check all the lights and found no headlight period or DRLs.

Consult the wiring diagrahms and found all headlights and DRLs go through the DRL control module. We do have a Subaru extended warranty, but it's $100 deductable for a module that costs me $50.

Call Subaru on Friday, no module in stock and was told no one in the area has one. Maybe Monday or Tuesday even with VOR special handling. A call today finds the module might be in my hands by Thursday. It's difficult to drive at night with no headlamps and now we're into the second week, but luckily my wife doesn't need to drive past dark.

What I can't believe is that there is no backup for the headlights if this one module goes out and that the part can't be had a week. I thought about bypassing it but it's in the dash and all the wires I'd need to access are at the DRL module connectors.:mad:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Damn. I guess we should buy the no deductible extended warranty.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Damn. I guess we should buy the no deductible extended warranty.
Deductible or not, you'd still have to wait for the module to come from the factory:(

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I feel real dumb:( I just got the DRL module and the lights still don't work. After carefully looking at the wiring diagram again I found another fuse that I didn't check, it's labeled backup lamps and guess what it powers up the DRL module. This problem all started happening right after I played with my wife backup camera I installed(water intrusion). I must have popped the fuse while playing with the camera.

·
Registered
14 Posts
swootton said:
Fast forward to Thursday AM, My wife calls and said it's flashing againbut only after she turned on the headlights, Hmmm! :confused:

Consult the wiring diagrahms and found all headlights and DRLs go through the DRL control module.

What I can't believe is that there is no backup for the headlights if this one module goes out and that the part can't be had a week. :mad:
Looking at the wiring diagram it appears to me that the DRL module controls Hi beam and can control the low beam, but there is a bypass thru the "DRL Relay" directly to the light switch. The "DRL Relay" should be called "low beam relay" as its only function is to turn on the low beams by grounding one side of the low beam lights. It is activated entirely by the light switch . The low beams should work with the entire DRL module removed or not working(provided there are no blown fuses or a bad relay). There is but one fuse for the relay(F/B fuse no. 18), but there is one for each low beam headlight. Power to this fuse is thru "ignition on", which is why the lights go off with the key(a good feature in my mind).

Thats the safe way to design it in my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts