Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in contact with Sub of N America on this issue numerous times on by 08 Tribeca. I live in a remote area and at night the headlights have an obvious problem where, if you look horizontally, the top of the lights go across.. then drop down and go up again. This is where the light of light stops ahead of you while looking out the windshield. Have had Sub tell me this is common; after may of their people saying that doesn't make any sense. Actually had one of their field reps meet me at night and confirm this is what it does. It seems to be an assembly issue as BOTH lights do the same thing.

To experiece this back you vehicle away from a solid wall (or garage door) at night and after about 10-20 feet you'll begin to see this. The farther you go back the more obvious it becomes (at least on mine)

Has ANYONE had the same issue? Again, look carefully at the top of the beam and note the distinct across, down and then up again issue. Thanks for your help. Other than that, it's a great vehicle. Actually we own two; the 08 and an 06 (differant headlight configuration obviously)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You are describing the light pattern that a projector housing gives off. The point of it is to illuminate the sidewalk area and signs. That way I don't blind oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Umm...yeah, that is how they're are supposed to be. I'm assuming the down/up also slants back up to the right passenger side. This is to "throw" the light towards the curb so you don't blind on coming traffic as magic marker said. This light pattern is most evident with projector style headlights since the light shines directly out of the housing and must be "projected" properly to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.

"Regular" headlights actually use indirect lighting, there is a small mirrored cap in front of the lamp that reflects the light back into the headlamp and then back forward. This has the side effect of projecting a more natural soft pattern of light w/ no "sharp" edges.

It's just 2 different schools of thought on the same subject.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just curious if either of both of the previous responders work for Subaru of North America as you both are from New Jersey; as is Subaru. Again, just curious.

·
Registered
552 Posts
nope...not a subaru employee nor is magic marker, lol. honestly, we're not here to dupe you...but what you are seeing is normal for projector style headlights.

also, I don't get why you think this is a problem? do you not think theheadlights are bright enough? if so. try driving in a jeep grand cherokee or any older GM/Ford car for that matter...pretty much have to drive with your brights on to see anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Here's the problem. I drive to work EARLY in the morning down some dark and winding roads. The "right" side is obviously higher than the left; looks like i'm searching for monkeys the farther the beams go out. Sub originally told me the left light is aimed towards the center to avoid glare to on-coming traffic which made sense. Unfortunately, if you cover either of the lamps, you have the same issue with the light on the "right" side of "that" lamp shooting higher than the left side. It's very frustrating

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
kurbie said:
looks like i'm searching for monkeys the farther the beams go out.
:lol: Hah, just noticed your post in the middle...that's one of the best descriptions I've ever heard, LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts