Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Headlight Issue Again

17K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  tribecadean 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I have a 06 Tribeca and the driver side headlight has blown out for the 3rd time in 2 years. When I install them i make sure to not touch the actual bulb so i know that isnt the issue. Has anyone else had this problem? I used Sylvania Silver Star bulbs the first time i replaced them and the second time i went down a grade to the Sylvania Xtravision get a longer life from the bulbs.

-Alex

#3 ·
At this point i've become a pro at replacing headlight bulbs. I hope that I find out why this is happening because the cheaper bulbs arnt as good for night driving and it gets pricey to replace them a few times a year.

#5 ·
I am having a hard time with this as well, we bought the 06 B9 in July of 09 and we have replaced both of the bulbs 3 times. Is this normal, the dealer is saying it is, but I also have a vw with daytime running lights as well and we do not have that problem with that car, just not sure what to do.

#6 ·
Same problem with 06

I've experienced the same thing, in fact I've gone through 5 passenger side bulbs in 3 years. Dealer service dept. doesn't have any answers. This is super-frustrating for me.

Last spring I put in cheap bulbs and they're still working, but the night-time illumination is terrible. Here in the PacNW my wife drives to and from work in the dark every day this time of year and it's often raining, so I've resigned myself to going back to SilverStar's even if I have to replace them in short order.

If only there were answers...

#7 ·
The continual Headlight problem is why I decided to install HID lights. Only time will tell if they last longer but they sure do offer better visibility.

I just got tired of paying $15 a bulb and spending the 20 minutes to do it every time...especially in the cold.

-DrCox

#10 ·
bud659 said:
what is a fix for this?
Don't drive. I have a 2006 with 65k and have just now had one of the two go out. They have a life, just like all bulbs do. Less miles driven, more life from your bulbs.

I put some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras and have yet to be impressed. I'll have to try some Philips and see how they work, I guess. The stock bulbs are Philips 12972LL (long life H7's), and I guess I was pleased with them enough. I'd like to look at different options before getting them again, though.

#13 ·
easy low beam replacement- sylvania- 1 yr warantee

i read some other posts about tools needs,etc ..etc.

this is an 06

this is a 5 min job or less.the passenger side needs no tools and nothing removed
1- undo the "jar lid"
2- pull 2 wires off
3- undo the bail..bulb is out.

drivers side:
loosen 2 -10mm nuts to move battery to side
1-
3 as before.

right now there is a 10 buck rebate ...50 bucks for 2 upgraded bulbs:D

#15 ·
I've had to replace both headlights a few times and the driver side only lasts about 9 months. The dealership is sick of hearing our complaints but not as much as I am sick of the real problem they are not willing to fix! Sounds like a recall issue from Subaru, on all years. Mine is an '06, the first year they made them. There have been many other issues as well which leads me to want to trade it off and never look back.

#17 ·
Bought a used 08 less than a month ago; really like it but noticed this morning that the driver's side headlight low beam is out.

So I've stopped by to see what the change will take and I read about all these bulbs going bad all the time.

I've read similar issues with some motorcycles frequently blowing bulbs, and one fix has been to add additional ground wires to the circuit to reduce resistance. Sounds good on paper and many swear by it.

Personally, I won't buy Sylvania bulbs for anything (except their Osram bulbs), even my home, because they just don't last. But everywhere you look, the Sylvanias are there...

If you are interested, check this web site for some reasonably priced bulbs for most anything automotive, no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
RallyLights.com

So now, out to the garage to see what it takes to get the bulb out.

#18 ·
To extend the life of the bulbs you can:

- drive less
- make less frequent stops where the car (bulbs) are turned on and off.
- reduce heat buildup

You can reduce the heat buildup by installing 50W bulb instead of 55W. Or go with 50W or 55W instead of 65W.

It seems that subaru did a good job of wiring the bulbs to the battery with thick wires. Thick wires would have less voltage drop compared to thiner wires, causing more power delivered to the bulbs and more heat. Of course you can reduce the power/voltage but you would also reduce the light output.

In comparison with my older accord, my tribeca has much more brighter lights. The accord seems like a joke, it is that bad.

#21 ·
Just replaced our driver's side low beam again. I'm getting good though, only 10 minutes including finding the 10mm to move the battery. Passenger side is the one that always gives me trouble though. Replaced both bulbs about 6 months ago, figure the pass side will go soon too. I'm going to get another HID kit and see if that will last longer.

#23 ·
Cap

When you replace the bulbs, leave the black cap off. It helps with the heat build up. If you live in a very wet area, you might want to drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the plastic housing (although the likely hood of any significant amount of water getting in is small).

#25 ·
^ One would think that it should, but strangely enough, in many cases, it doesn't.

I had a few small holes which I drilled into my '05 (BL chassis) Legacy's headlamp housings (for various aesthetic lighting enhancements), and in the nearly 7 years that I've had that vehicle (the Tribeca is her replacement), I honestly never saw even a hint of condensation build-up.

NE-Ohio is nowhere near as wet as the UK, I'd imagine :), but we still get our fair share of rain during the late spring and late-fall/early-winter months.

This is in stark contrast to the factory stock, never-modified, tail-light housings of my wife's '09 Forester and also now her '13 Forester (both of the SH chassis), which routinely sees normal condensation build-up.

Putting holes in the right spots (but exactly where are those spots located?!), I think, will not contribute to undue formation of condensation.

#26 ·
replaced again with silverstar

replaced h7 silverstar ultras -a pair cost me about $50. it was the only brand at the car shop.they had a 1 year warrantee, but the bulb blew at 13 months:mad:

my drivers side of the silverstar ultra lasted about 20,000 miles.

I replaced them both and hopefully I am done for a while.

One thing i goofed on" I somehow got the bulb twisted by about 20 degees off and the bail jammed in an odd manner,when I replaced it on the drivers side". I cant seem to get it unjammed , I guess I will worry about when they burn out next year..:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.