Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So another headlight bulb went out again and I am trying to replace it myself. I am not a skilled car guy when it comes to maintenance, and I don't have time on Monday and the the dealer is closed today (Sunday). I am replacing the passenger side H7 bulb. I removed the air duct (2 screws, that's it!) so I can gain access under the hood. I then removed the back cover to the bulb access. I removed the two electrical connectors. Now the damn retainer clip is in the way and I can't get it off. I am doing this all by touch due to the tight space, and am afraid if I do get the clip off I won't be able to get it back on. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this easier?

Also, if I do decide to replace the driver side one as well, do I have to remove the battery to do so? This seems like a pretty crappy setup. Changing bulbs should be easier than this!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I heard some people use a mirror to assist, but the general consensus is go by feel (that is how I did mine). Yes, that damn retaining clip is a pain in the ass. As far as the driver side, just remove the battery tie down and move the battery to the side. You don't have to actually remove the battery. Again, all done by feel. Good thing I have small hands. Good luck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magic Marker said:
I heard some people use a mirror to assist, but the general consensus is go by feel (that is how I did mine). Yes, that damn retaining clip is a pain in the ass. As far as the driver side, just remove the battery tie down and move the battery to the side. You don't have to actually remove the battery. Again, all done by feel. Good thing I have small hands. Good luck.
How is the retaining clip removed? WHich way do I pull it?

By the way, I can access both bulbs without removing a thing, but it is tight. If I could figure out the retaining clip situation, I'd be set!

Does anyone have bulb recommendations? What's the brightest and best bulbs you can get for the Tribeca?

·
Registered
71 Posts
i highly suggest the following... either phillips h7 bulbs, or hella h7's... don't go with silver star... they are a waste of money... they burn out every 3-6 months even when installed properly with nitrile gloves..

now regarding the changing the headlights you will need the following...

phillips head screw driver
flat head screw driver
nitrile gloves
and a cup...

remove the ram air intake looking thing, remove all the plastic in the front with the flat head screw driver to pry out the retaining pins... once you have both headlights visible, use the philips head screw drive to remove the 2 screws holding each headlight into place... once the screws are removed you will be able to remove the whole headlight assembly and replace the headlight without losing circulation to your hand or scratching the bulb...

Also the retaining clip swings out of the way... just lift up and then swing it out...

I used the cup to place all the screws in...
:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B9LTD83 said:
Also the retaining clip swings out of the way... just lift up and then swing it out...
SO the retaining clip kind of flips open and doesn't actually come out? I don't have to worry about trying to slide it back into so impossibly small hole on reinstall?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
HB_Dad said:
SO the retaining clip kind of flips open and doesn't actually come out? I don't have to worry about trying to slide it back into so impossibly small hole on reinstall?
No, the clips are on a hinge so you can't lose them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but, how do you get to the bolts on the bottom of the headlight. I am referring to the 3 bolts that you can supposedly get to from under the vehicle.

I am doing this because my friend was trying to change the light bulb and accidentally removed the retaining clip and now it is impossible to get it back in place with the light still in the car. Also, he dropped it. :lol:

Does anyone have a part number for the retaining clip?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a different experience....low beam is easy!!!!

Peaty said:
Just remove the headlamp, it's a ton easier.

I have changed bulbs on my outbacks...the bulb and bail is about the same.

I did not remove headlight or anything else..maybe i misunderstood prior post..frankly I was a little worried about how big a job this could be...

I used no tools on the pasenger side.
1- remove jar lid cover
2- pull 2 wires by boot off the bulb
3- push wire bail in and down..bulb is out in 3 min or less..install new bulb with a glove

Drivers side
use 10mm wrench to looosen 2 screws- push battery toward engine
1-
3 as before..bulb is out in 5 min or less

look at the pictures ahead of time...do it in the daylight,,,you can get direct vision by looking from the firewall side...its EASY!!!!DO it yourself:D :D

·
449 Posts
you mean the outside mirrors, the indicator bulbs?

·
Registered
794 Posts
You think the headlight is hard wait until you have to change a fog.
Time to bump this up. On the right-hand side, removing the air filter box gives access to both the headlight and the fog light (from the top). On the left side, of course, it's different with the fog light, because the washer reservoir is in the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
headlight bulb

Hi.

I have no experience changing/fixing/etc, anything in my car.:eek:

Is it easy to change the headlight bulbs?

Is there anything special that I will need?

please help!!!

Thanks!!
jen:confused:

·
Registered
794 Posts
You will need some tools, not for removing the bulb itself, but for getting other components out of the way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is certainly doable, but will take some time/patience.

The best suggestion I can give you is, do NOT under any circumstances lose that retaining clip....you should be able to get it to snap loose without taking it off. I would advise putting rags or something under the headlight assembly just in case it does come off. I learned the hard way that if that retaining clip comes off and you drop it in the undercarriage of the car, your chances of ever seeing it again are pretty slim.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
This : "NOT under any circumstances lose that retaining clip"

I'll add, don't break the plastic parts that hold in on either. THis is a common problem for novice changers. It's easy to change the bulb but it takes patience and you have to put away any gorilla-like tendencies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Old thread full of *BAD* advice (WRT to 2006 or 2007)

For low beams, In model years 2006 and 2007 (and maybe later) the metal "retainer clip" should NOT be removed. It's actually pretty easy, once you use the correct directions:

On the driver side, you will first need release the battery clamps and then slide the battery towards the engine (creating room to work along the driver's side).

One the Passenger side, you need to unhook and remove the air intake from the air filter housing. You might also remove the air filter, to avoid smashing it with your arm - even if it doesn't need replacement anyway.

Twist of the cover and remove the terminals. Then, to unhook the retainer clip: press the hooked end of the clip(opposite the holding screw) inwards, towards the front of the bulb. This is a horizontal motion, not sideways, and not up/down.
Then, while you have it pressed in, push the clip downwards, towards the ground. The bulb is then free to remove.

After you have the new bulb in: reverse everything, by (first) raising the clip over the new bulb, and and then pushing the free end inwards to "catch" on the clamp.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts