Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I see plenty of remarks about the Tribeca headlight bulbs burning out, does anyone have experience with longer lasting bulbs that are also brighter than stock?

In my Outback I have Philips crystal vision ultra and they lasted two years and still going.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use the Philips CVUs... the first set I bought lasted about a year before the first bulb burnt out. I replaced that one, so I have one bulb that's about 5 months old and the other is going on 18 months. I really like the CVUs... although not actually brighter per se, I think they really work well with the Tribeca's lenses to provide a clear, bright field of vision after dark.

General consensus seems to be that bulbs - on average - last about 12-18 months on the Tribeca, regardless of brand/mfg.

·
Registered
679 Posts
^ It's not a bad idea to switch incandescent bulbs at that interval, anyway, as they do lose output over time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I put the Sylvania XtraVision H7 in the wife's Tribeca. Definitely brighter than the stock bulb, although probably more of a yellow tint than the Philips CVU bulbs that you and psygnal11 are using. I believe those are a more white looking light as the blue coating on them filters out the yellow hue. I think when the Sylvania bulbs go, I will try the Philips H7 Vision Plus bulbs, however I also think that those are very similar, if not identical to what I am running now.

As for longevity, I can't really speak on that as I replaced the bulbs shortly after buying the Tribeca in Oct, 2014.

·
Registered
14 Posts
...the Osram Rallye 65w is the brightest halogen you can buy for the low beam application. We have these in our Tribeca and the results are excellent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a wattage difference from stock when you use the Osram bulbs?
I also want chrome turn signal bulbs that light up amber BTW

·
Registered
679 Posts
^ It's +10 per side, but it seems to play fine with all the electronics.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I still have original low beam bulbs in our 2009 Tribeca but one side appears to be fading.
What is avg life expectancy of the Osram rallye 65w h7bulbs?
Are there others that are good. I don't have hids but 6 years and still going on oem bulbs doesn't seem bad.
Biggest pia is changing them it appears.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
It's not even that bad to change them - I don't remove the battery fully, just shift it to the side & the airbox isn't terrible to remove.

It's not as easy as my '95 was, but you could live amongst the engine components inside that engine bay.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are some quality LED options available now, bright white light, and will probably never burn out. I went with a good 75 watt HID kit in my low beam. Ultra bright. Time will tell with how reliable it is. I hope it last a long time because it was a pain. I had to remove the battery on one side and the entire air box on the other to gain enough access to change the bulbs.

·
Registered
679 Posts
There are some quality LED options available now, bright white light, and will probably never burn out....
My understanding is that, currently, only the full-module replacements such as the GE Nighthawk are SAE/DOT road-legal as headlamps or those like the RIGID Industries or PIAA driving/fog lamps (while there are many others which are SAE/DOT classified as off-road use only).

Where it comes to bulb-only plug-and-play inserts, my understanding is that without a full-optics retrofit, no-one has yet been able to effectively harness an LED "bulb" output:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=412140
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396634
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7025151-LED-headlamp-replacement-bulbs&highlight=HID

While some projector headlamps may be able to "handle" the output of HID bulbs and provide sufficient glare control with minimal to no modification, it seems like this is not the case, at all, for LEDs, and that a full-optics retrofit is a must not only to insure that excessive glare for oncoming traffic is minimized, but even more importantly that the driver can see the road, at all.

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/article...pplications-require-unique-sae-standards.html

^ The lifespan of the aftermarket units are currently unproven - as you can see, even the OEs who have sunk a tremendous amount of money in this area have concerns in that respect.

I love lights - I'm actually a flashlight collector (and all of my home-defense guns wear Surefire LED weaponlights, I EDC a Surefire LX2 or E2D w/Malkoff drop-in), and I significantly modified the lights on both my old DSM (with a full-optics retrofit) as well as my LGT (a 55W 4300K plug-and-play with filled "squirrel finders," HIR1 highs, re-aimed 85W fogs w/beefed-up wiring/relays, and a stand-alone set of FF1000s on a quick-disconnect took care of the front [accented with a set of CCFL halos and LED eyelines] while a pair of JDM rears with DIY incandescent and LED rear fog lamps, a LED CHMSL, and 35W ERD back-up lamps filled out the back), and I have the distinction of being among the few who actually purchased a Surefire L6 when it first came out. :lol: I love LEDs, but I'm, for the time being, still quite hesitant about LEDs as headlamps - as aftermarkets - in the automotive sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the Crystal Visions and they looked pure white yet the illumination was good. Currently, I have the Osram and I like their output more compared to Philips.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It appears a harder job to replace tribeca's low beam bulbs then my toyotas.
That spring fastener reattachment done under feel doesn't seem easy.
Considering the Osram Rallye bulb upgrade.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Meh... once you've done it once or twice, it's pretty easy to change the bulbs simply by touch, unless you have mini-sausages for fingers. That said, you should move the battery out of the way on the LH side to give your hand/fingers some range of motion, otherwise, it can become rather tedious.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here is a pic of the OSRAM Ralley 65W H7 bulbs in the wife's Tribeca on an unlit road. I am planning to install the Narva RangePower+50 Ultra H3 for the fogs next. She was complaining that it was hard to see with the bulbs I had in there (Sylvania XtraVision) so I installed these. She says she can see much better now at night. They do work pretty well. Hopefully they will hold up for a while. Time will tell I guess. So far pretty pleased with them. :tup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Those look really good. I want to install a 75 or 55 watt HID in my fogs. The best scenario would be a true projector retrofit but not everyone has 600 they want to spend on headlights. I have to say, lighting is one of the most important upgrades you can make for safety

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies. I went with Philips White Vision for the H7 and Crystal Vision Ultra for the High beams. When I find a dark road I will post a pic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts