Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't plan on being a regular here, but I figured this information would be quite helpful for anyone swapping a JDM motor into their 06-07 Tribeca. I recently picked up an 06 Tribeca showing signs of severe head gasket/head failure for a price that suited me for a long-term vehicle.

Upon pulling the motor and tearing it down I found that the excessive use of "head gasket sealant" built up in the middle of both left and right heads preventing coolant flow. It also blocked half the thermostat, partially plugged lower coolant lines, and coated the cylinder sleeves likely preventing any hope of proper cooling I'd strongly advise using this stuff in your Tribeca, fix it the right way if you are able.

So anyways I found that it was cheaper to get a JDM motor over a USDM motor and went that route, and it would give me spare parts to boot. Here are the differences I noticed:

Wiring harness:
Unknown, visually looks identical pin and connector wise. Found some damaged connectors and used the US harness.

Hard fuel lines:
JDM uses conventional clamp/crimp for high pressure side, connection for small vaccum line that does not exist on US motor. US uses quick disconnect and different flaring.

Intake:
JDM only has one support for airbox on left side, extra vaccum line for unknown connection that doesn't appear to exist on US model. Brake booster vaccum port plugged on left side of the intake, and glued into place. I was unable to remove it. Either use the US intake, or run a line to passenger side, and cap the unused port.

Power steering pump:
JDM connections are not in the same location, might work with some modification.

A/C Compressor:
Entirely different, smaller pulley, different mounting points, lower support is thicker won't work on US compressor.

A/C Compressor Mount:
Not compatible with US compressor, three mounting points, wrong offset. US uses four.

Alternator:
Same part number, identical.

Longblock (Engine):
Everything externally seems identical and bolts right up. Unknown if there are internal differences.

Sensors/Connectors:
Appears to be the same, haven't tested yet.

NOTE: I'm still in the process of finishing the nickel and dime part of the swap. Should be firing it up this weekend. Hopefully someone will find this info of use.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you for this post, please do let us know how it works our and if the exhaust/intakes are interchangeable.

I did a 2.5 swap over with a JDM complete engine, and we ended up stripping it to a long block and using the USDM sensors, injectors, manifolds and engine control stuff.

My guess would be, you will be doing this as well.

If you can, please post a few pictures if you have the time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actaully just wrapped it up a few days ago, and I'm going through the shakedown process now.

Using the following JDM bits:
-JDM intake, bent and ran a hard line to run vaccum to the drivers side as I was unable to remove the vaccum plug without risking damage to the intake. I had no reason to use it, just had better gaskets in it. Just using one bolt for the silencer box currently, though I'll likely get some new gaskets and swap the USDM one on.
-JDM sensors currently with no issues.
-JDM fuel line, cut off quick connect and clamped on directly.
-USDM harness, only because the JDM one had broken connectors from shipping. Pins/wire colors/etc appeared to be all the same.
-Did not come with any JDM exhaust bits, would assume it's compatible.

I'll see about editing the original post, once I find some time. Total engine cost was $1200, and it gave me a full set of spare parts to work with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely, the brake booster vacuum line looked to be 6-8 inches long, before I cut it in half to run a hard line. Also of note I found that line also has a one-way check valve installed inside the line. Seems like it could be very easily installed incorrectly and impair braking ability.

Overall the differences are surprisingly minimal to accommodate it. I will say I do hate the absurd number external lines they use for the cooling system. Seems like a leak anywhere in this could destroy a motor in short order without much warning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts