Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you all using for Hands free bluetooth car cell phone kits? I'm looking to get something nice for the B9.

No navi in our 07 LTD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
I bought a BlueAnt Supertooth Light speakerphone that clips to my sun visor. Works well, although I have to remember to manually turn it on and off (the signal works clear inside the house, so sometimes my phone rings remotely :). I bought it new on Amazon for <$57. The magnetic that holds it is very strong and the clip worked well, but the clip was too short/narrow for my visor, so I found a longer metal bracket in my junk drawer that I bent to the right shape and length.

I'm sure there are other viable solutions, but it's worked great for the 4 months I've owned it. Super easy to pair, and my iPhone always finds/remembers it.

If you use a BlueAnt, just make sure the opening on the retractable mic is facing directly at you for best sound projection/quality. Listeners on the other end always say they can hear me just fine.

My $02.'s worth :)

-Karen in AZ-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I put in the Parrot Model 3200 LS in my '09 Tribeca. I bought it from HFVT.com in Maine. The cool part is that they sell a Subaru cable which makes the install pretty much:

1) Remove Dash
2) Unplug some plugs
3) Plug in some plugs
4) Run the wires
5) Put it all back together.

This cable matches the plugs on the back of the stereo perfectly, so no wires need to be cut.

I put the small control unit to the left of the driver below the vent, and above the mirror control switch. The microphone is on the A pillar on the left front of the car. The sound comes through the speakers, and works very well!

I have two of these units (one in the 2009 Tribeca, and one in the 2002 L.L.Bean Outback), and the both work perfectly.

Reedl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Magic Marker said:
What are you all using for Hands free bluetooth car cell phone kits? I'm looking to get something nice for the B9.


No navi in our 07 LTD.
you say no navi, if you have navi is there a special kit or something??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reedl said:
I put in the Parrot Model 3200 LS in my '09 Tribeca. I bought it from HFVT.com in Maine. The cool part is that they sell a Subaru cable which makes the install pretty much:

1) Remove Dash
2) Unplug some plugs
3) Plug in some plugs
4) Run the wires
5) Put it all back together.

This cable matches the plugs on the back of the stereo perfectly, so no wires need to be cut.

I put the small control unit to the left of the driver below the vent, and above the mirror control switch. The microphone is on the A pillar on the left front of the car. The sound comes through the speakers, and works very well!

I have two of these units (one in the 2009 Tribeca, and one in the 2002 L.L.Bean Outback), and the both work perfectly.

Reedl
Thanks....can you post up pics of your setup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I will take some pictures when I can and post them. I guess the cable harness does not matter whether you have Nav or not.

Reedl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Here is my perfect setup that I have in my Impreza.

Garmin Nuvi 780 that mounts to your windshield via suction cup.

Run a audio cord from the Nuvi to the stereo Aux Input jack.

This Garmin has bluetooth and has a built in microphone. You switch your car stereo to Aux for ideal sound when calling (all though the Garmin built in speaker is not bad).

The Garmin automatically senses my Blackberry after the initial pairing and the phone will ring through the Garmin and you can access your stored phone numbers via the GPS touch screen.

You can also insert a standard 4GB SD card into the Garmin and load that up with lots of music and thus you have a MP3 player on the Aux when you are not talking on the phone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you basically leave your Garmin mounted all the time? I'd be worried about theft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
He lives in the Pacific North West not Northern NJ.......slightly less crime :lol:
(besides, with the suction cup mount it's easy to move in/out of the vehicle)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
No we have problems here too when people leave them mounted in parked cars for hours. The Garmin easily pops out of the cradle and I have a nice nylon belt pouch that it slips into. Then you can use it for walking and you have a portable MP3 player too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
parrot install

reedl said:
I put in the Parrot Model 3200 LS in my '09 Tribeca. I bought it from HFVT.com in Maine. The cool part is that they sell a Subaru cable which makes the install pretty much:

1) Remove Dash
2) Unplug some plugs
3) Plug in some plugs
4) Run the wires
5) Put it all back together.

This cable matches the plugs on the back of the stereo perfectly, so no wires need to be cut.

I put the small control unit to the left of the driver below the vent, and above the mirror control switch. The microphone is on the A pillar on the left front of the car. The sound comes through the speakers, and works very well!

I have two of these units (one in the 2009 Tribeca, and one in the 2002 L.L.Bean Outback), and the both work perfectly.

Reedl
I pretty much understand the install part of it, but I need help on the harness. I am interested in a parrot 3200ls or mki series. (not sure yet what I need or want), but I went to this site http://www.aftermarketcellular.com/ic/QCSub-1.html

and it asked about whether I have a harmon kardon system or not and it makes a difference. How the heck do I know if I have this or not??

I have a 2009 Canadian Tribeca Premeire model with 6CD changer, 8 speakers plus subwoofer, Rear entertainment system and NAV. This is the upgrade from the Base Tribeca which only have 1CD, 6 speakers, no sub, no Rear Entertainment and no NAV. Is my system Harmon/Kardon or not?

What Tribeca do you have and what harness did you get? I was also thinking down the road to maybe install an additional sub under passenger seat one day. Would this create a "too many harnesses" connected syndrome if I also install this bluetooth kit. I'd rather have the bluetooth than an additional sub if having both could be problematic.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
mwoo68 said:
...and it asked about whether I have a harmon kardon system or not and it makes a difference. How the heck do I know if I have this or not??
I'm pretty certain no H-K systems exist on any Tribecas until the recently-announced 2010s. I'll bump to others for verification.

-Karen in AZ-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
kmartin said:
I'm pretty certain no H-K systems exist on any Tribecas until the recently-announced 2010s. I'll bump to others for verification.

-Karen in AZ-
That's what I was leaning to as well, but when I went to visit the quickconnectproducts.com website, that confused me. I emailed them and they responded only way for them to help is if I take a pic of the plugs and sockets. Thanks much for the bump!
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
mwoo68 said:
That's what I was leaning to as well, but when I went to visit the quickconnectproducts.com website, that confused me. I emailed them and they responded only way for them to help is if I take a pic of the plugs and sockets. Thanks much for the bump!
:)
Save yourself the trouble of disassembly...call or email subaru with the VIN and they can tell you.

https://www.subaru.com/shopping-tools/contact-us.html
Customer Service: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

(betcha a quart of oil that I'm right, though :)

-Karen-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Well I took the "less sexy" route and just picked up a Motorola T505 from Amazon.com for $62.

Works well with my iPhone 3G. I keep it clipped to my sun visor and the built-in speaker phone is plenty loud by itself for phone calls. It also has an FM transmitter so I can pipe it through the radio too. FM transmitters are obviously no match for hard wiring, but as far as they go the T505 works pretty good (I've tried a lot of them) and I'm in a radio heavy area in the metro NYC neighborhood (ie: not many free frequencies). Also supports A2DP bluetooth audio, so I can play my music through it too. Best part, IMHO...is that it can be moved car-to-car as our Tribeca isn't a daily driver.

The "issues" I have with it relate to the iPhone's poor bluetooth abilities rather than short comings of the T505. The play/pause button is useless as my iPhone will constantly pipe any sounds it makes out to the T505 which it thinks is "music". And when using the FM transmitter you're supposed to be able to use the volume up/down to skip songs, but it has the same issue as the play/pause button.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
snork said:
Well I took the "less sexy" route and just picked up a Motorola T505 from Amazon.com for $62.

Works well with my iPhone 3G. I keep it clipped to my sun visor and the built-in speaker phone is plenty loud by itself for phone calls. It also has an FM transmitter so I can pipe it through the radio too. FM transmitters are obviously no match for hard wiring, but as far as they go the T505 works pretty good (I've tried a lot of them) and I'm in a radio heavy area in the metro NYC neighborhood (ie: not many free frequencies). Also supports A2DP bluetooth audio, so I can play my music through it too. Best part, IMHO...is that it can be moved car-to-car as our Tribeca isn't a daily driver.

The "issues" I have with it relate to the iPhone's poor bluetooth abilities rather than short comings of the T505. The play/pause button is useless as my iPhone will constantly pipe any sounds it makes out to the T505 which it thinks is "music". And when using the FM transmitter you're supposed to be able to use the volume up/down to skip songs, but it has the same issue as the play/pause button.
I bought one for out Tribeca. It works fine, but there's something about it that I don't love. I guess since there is no display and I mount it on the sun visor, I can never really tell if it's paired with our iPhones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Magic Marker said:
I bought one for out Tribeca. It works fine, but there's something about it that I don't love. I guess since there is no display and I mount it on the sun visor, I can never really tell if it's paired with our iPhones.
It chimes when it first connects and flashes blue/magenta and the LED slowly pulses blue for the first 10 minutes. I'll agree a display would be preferable, but the T505 actually has a lot of display functionality chimes/LED colors that you really do need to RTFM for this particular gadget;)

Also, your phone should indicate its connected, but I guess if you keep it hidden away or in your pocket you wouldn't know. Since I use it with my iPhone, I keep the phone mounted on the windshield via suction cup mount so I can control the music and dial if necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
While looking at the Subaru techinfo site I came across an install guide for a Tribeca Blueconnect Kit that installs in the overhead console, you have to give up your sunglass bin for that (I love you, Subaru). Part# H001SXA500 (the guide references H001SXA500EU and H001SXA500MV, not clear on the differences). I suspect this is what you get for b/t in the 2010 models and earlier models probably don't have the necessary wiring installed for power/mute and audio (not sure about the latter as it looks like the speaker is on the device itself, so it may not use the HU at all for audio). Wondering if older models can be retrofitted. Can anyone comment on the MY compatibility?

Upd: this is in fact a 2010 bluetooth module, it is listed in the official accessories brochure, 2 part numbers are for gray/beige.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top