Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized that my Beca 09 still slide back down (a 5 degree slope) even after I stepped on the Hand Brake (indicated by the illustrated "Brake" on screen). At this time I intentionally put the selector in "Neutral" to check whether it works, but it failed :(

It's just amazing.

Anyone have the same experience? Or I'm too stupid to know that there's several levels for such a hand brake (I found it has only On/Off)?

·
Registered
50 Posts
All parking brakes have "multi-levels" but if you pushed the pedal down as far as you could then it sounds like it's either in need of adjustment or not working at all.

You can step on it a little so that the light on the dash comes on, but it doesn't mean the brake is engaged, just that you've triped the pressure switch to set the light off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
force

The quicker the lever is pushed in by the foot the greater force it applies to the wheels and hence will not allow the tribeca to roll back. Same happened to me I depressed it all the way down and it still rolled then I read you have to push it in quickly/ more forcefully and it did the trick. LMK if it works...:)

·
Banned
10 Posts
Rotorflyr said:
All parking brakes have "multi-levels" but if you pushed the pedal down as far as you could then it sounds like it's either in need of adjustment or not working at all.

You can step on it a little so that the light on the dash comes on, but it doesn't mean the brake is engaged, tires sport cars just that you've triped the pressure switch to set the light off.
Yup, my fathers car needed the adjustment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 09 Tribeca parking brake not engaging. It seems to me like it just needs to be tightened. Anyone know how to adjust it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Now this is a big assumption that the '09 is the same as my '06, but in the '06 there is a small hole in the rear rotor (accessible by taking off the rear wheels) covered by a small round black rubber grommet thingy. Jack up both rear wheels with car in neutral and parking brake OFF. CHOCK BOTH FRONT WHEELS SO CAR WONT ROLL!!!! Remove wheels. Doing one side at a time find the small rubber grommet hole and pop out rubber cover. Turn wheel by hand until the hole is directly on the bottom (6 o'clock) use a flash light to peer inside, locate a little round thingy with teeth on it and use a regular (flat) screwdriver to to turn it. I forget which way but it may be up to tighten. Turn till its snug but u can still turn wheel by hand. Repeat for other side. That should do it.

EDIT: you can also adjust the cable under the dash. it is connected to the foot brake pedal. i just tightened mine up and its much better now.

·
Registered
794 Posts
It is not self-adjusting according to the FSM. Nate is correct. The cable adjustment nut is located at the pedal. The procedure is first to set the brake shoe clearance, through the access holes in the rotors, then adjust the cable so that the brake sets firmly after 5 to 7 clicks.
PS I doubt the OP or #5 are still around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts