Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a blown headlight on the driver's side. I have pulled the battery and unscrewed the plastic cover. Now, how do I get the doggone clip off the bulb. I can barely see the bulb; however, I think I see the clip and three screws. Do I need to loosen or remove any of these screws or does the clip just "unclip" (I'm trying to comprehend earlier advice)? Sure could use some immediate advice! Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What a pain in the butt these things are. I can change bulbs in my '02 Foz in 5 minutes and don't have to remove anything. The Tribeca is an hour long process. I was checking in to see if I was missing something, but I'm not, it's just a real pain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
singincanary said:
What a pain in the butt these things are. I can change bulbs in my '02 Foz in 5 minutes and don't have to remove anything. The Tribeca is an hour long process. I was checking in to see if I was missing something, but I'm not, it's just a real pain.
I don't know what you people are complaining about when saying it takes so long to change the bulbs. I can change BOTH H7's in under 10min, and just the passenger side in under 3min. Quit being a sissy and use your head :D

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
singincanary said:
Yeah, it's a huge PIA. I've had to do it twice and it never gets easier.

·
Registered
160 Posts
idk, I replaced both of them in the cold in the dark outside and it wasn't too bad (euro-Osram bulbs). Did you move the battery out of the way on driver's side ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This thread and one other had me spooked! I just changed my DS head light in 4 minutes. Move your battery over, pull off the connectors, push in and then down on the spring clip and the light is free. Reverse the operation, go in, have a beer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
roadtrip said:
This thread and one other had me spooked! I just changed my DS head light in 4 minutes. Move your battery over, pull off the connectors, push in and then down on the spring clip and the led light is free. Reverse the operation, go in, have a beer.
Oh great thanks for sharing your experience.. Even I will get it done in 4 minutes and enjoy a beer:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
You folks must have some teeny tiny arms/hands because I can't even get my hand in that tube leading to the bulb. Had to take the entire headlight assembly out to replace a fricken bulb (and THAT wasn't a 5 min job for sure). I don't know why Subaru made them this way. Hyundai's have ridiculously easy access to their bulbs, you'd think Subaru could do the same.

(I'd like to see the Scoobymods pictures but I don't want to have to register on yet another website just so see some pictures.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
This thread and one other had me spooked! I just changed my DS head light in 4 minutes. Move your battery over, pull off the connectors, push in and then down on the spring clip and the light is free. Reverse the operation, go in, have a beer.

I may have had the beer first because I didn't manage to align the bulb right the first time:lol:. However it didn't take long to correct it. The passenger side that went out just last week though was a pain for me. Never has removing plastic parts been so challenging! Next I'd like to tackle the fogs with some yellow bulbs that I pulled off my last toyota. This time of year in the PNW it can be foggy for days.:(

·
Registered
59 Posts
I HAAAAAAAAAAAATE those stupid "bale" clasps that hold the bulb in place. I owned a 2002 Hyundai XG350L with the same type of bulbs that you just literally plugged in. I'd genuinely bet I could do it with my eyes closed in 60 seconds. Pop hood, unscrew plastic "cap", pull out bulb and detach, attach new bulb, put new bulb back in housing, replace "cap", close hood - done.

I have owned and driven Subarus loyally for a quarter of a century and been a walking-talking brochure for the brand - this damned Tribeca has cured me of that, and the issues with the head lights are one of the reasons why.

Stupid bale thing, down in a tube (WTF?!), and they burn out all the time - and yes, I wear gloves when I handle the bulbs. The Tribeca obviously has some issue with this or this many people wouldn't be complaining about it (and those are just the ones who bothered to get on the internet and complain). What an idiotic design.

I just replaced my p/s bulb (AGAAAAINNN) the other day and realized that it's apparently not quite aligned right and aiming downwards some. Well I can't see whether or not it's in properly BECAUSE IT'S IN A F###ING TUBE WHERE MY HAND IS! Seriously, who was the design wizard that came up with that one?!

And that's just on the p/s side one - the d/s side one I can't even get my hand in (and, yes, I remove the battery when I've tried). My brother-in-law and I finally had to remove the headlight assembly to replace that one, I kid you not! He's a very experienced mechanic and a fan of Subarus as well - he couldn't stop shaking his head at the stupidity of that setup.

Even the guys at the dealership complain about the design.

I *think* I read on here that foglights on these things are even worse. JOY! I have one of those out now too. Woo-hoo!

I will NEVER buy another new Subaru. I have owned and driven them for over 25 years, and I'll be happy to own more old ones (old Subarus are WONDERFUL!), but never another post 2000's model. I have had sooooooo many problems with this car. I wish a meteor would destroy it - I'd use the insurance money for a new Hyundai.

RAAAAAAAAAAAGE! :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
679 Posts
The H7 is itself not that long-lived, unfortunately.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They last a good long time in my XT6's fog lights - same exact bulbs.

A few hours later and the venting mode is mostly turned off for me. Sorry about that.

But I do have to say there's a real beauty to the simplicity of old Subarus. My XT6 is a couple of years older than my college senior daughter and there are actually less things wrong with it than our 7 year old Tribeca (and those things started going wrong right at the 3 year mark). I'll give the newer Subarus credit for their fuel efficient 4 valve per cylinder engines. With its 80s low-tech the 2700lb XT6 gets the same mileage as the two ton plus Tribeca. :(

Love my sealed beam headlights in that thing - I've had exactly ONE burn out in all those years!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I absolutely agree with the poor design comment. Could have been much simpler.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but our p/s light was the one that would always go out too. I remedied it by installing a quality HID kit and have had the same bulbs for over a year. (Knock on wood). Every other bulb has lasted a long time. I don't think I've ever replaced a fog, turn signal or back up light and maybe a brake light once a year. And our '07 has 175k miles on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We've had tail and brake lights burn out more than once, interior "map" lights (again, something I've NEVER replaced in an '89 XT6 or a '96 SVX), puddle lights (right after the warranty expired of course), etc. Not to mention all the headlights and now a fog.

Don't get me started on the no-longer-working cruise control, CD player that suddenly ejects or changes CDs, etc.

Wish I had a spare $7,500 and a time machine - I'd go back a month or so and buy this near mint '82 BRAT. No funky light issues or goofy "drive by wire" throttle/cruise control stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts