Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Tribeca blew its DRL/Nighttime lightbulb. It's an h7 bulb. I guess the regular halogen bulb that most cars use is the h4. I have also heard people saying that the Canadian Tribecas have HID. Mine is a Canadian 06 Tribeca. Do I have HID? I was looking through the literature and it doesnt mention anywhere I have HID. Does this have something to do with the h7 bulb? The mechanic says that not alot of cars are using this bulb yet. It is definately brighter than a normal h4 halogen.

Another note... has anyone changed their bulbs yet... its very difficult to see what you are doing with that cross brace in the way. You almost have to do it by feel or with a mirror.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
IDK about Canadians having HID's, but I can tell you changing the bulb is a little work. If you have big hands, find a friend with smaller hands. You have to shift the battery to get to the driver side bulb. It's not hard, just unscrew off the battery tie down. I did mine all by feel; no mirror. It took a little time, but I got it.

BTW, an H4 is a dual filament bulb whereas the H7 is a single, so I guess that in itself makes the H7 a little brighter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was on the passenger side... I could have taken some time to try and do it myself but I probably would have froze to death cursing myself... I just got it done while getting an oil change. The h7 is so bright that my wife didnt realize we lost a headlight at night and were only running on one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Magic Marker said:
BTW, an H4 is a dual filament bulb whereas the H7 is a single, so I guess that in itself makes the H7 a little brighter.
I would have to agree that the H7 is pretty bright. When I was driving my Civic in front of the Beca, it almost looks like HIDs. Just needs to be a bit whiter.

On another note, did anyone know that there was a holder for the second row seatbelts by both sides of the door???? I just found out today when i saw a piece of plastic that had a slot on it. I inserted the buckle into it and it fitted perfectly. I'm assuming its there to reduce noise from the flapping buckles.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
SubieTri08 said:
I would have to agree that the H7 is pretty bright. When I was driving my Civic in front of the Beca, it almost looks like HIDs. Just needs to be a bit whiter.

On another note, did anyone know that there was a holder for the second row seatbelts by both sides of the door???? I just found out today when i saw a piece of plastic that had a slot on it. I inserted the buckle into it and it fitted perfectly. I'm assuming its there to reduce noise from the flapping buckles.
Yup, there is a seatbelt holder in our 07 2nd row as well. I believe it is used when you have the 2nd row folded down as you would in the 3rd row.

·
Registered
40 Posts
crazycanuck said:
Another note... has anyone changed their bulbs yet... its very difficult to see what you are doing with that cross brace in the way. You almost have to do it by feel or with a mirror.
I just replaced the bulbs today. It's a PITA. My RS's headlights are way easier to change. I had to do it by feel as well. No room even for a flashlight.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just ordered a pair of Osram 65W Rallye H7 bulbs for both LGT and Tribeca. Stock on both is the same - H7 and from discussion on legacygt.com the Osram's are a lot better than stock, literaly "day and night" difference. People are all saying that after Osram's are installed the fog lamps become obsolete. So while I am completely happy with high beams on Beca (those are H9 and I am not aware of any better replacement) I am willing to try Osram's on beca for low beams.

For high beams on LGT I ordered Toshiba 9011 HIR but it's a different story - those do not apply to Tribeca, at least original 06-07 design.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Update on OSRAM 65W H7 bulbs. Got them installed last night. So that we are clear what was replaced for what - stock H7 bulbs coming in 06-07 Becas are Phillips 55W H7 bulb, and I was replacing them with OSRAM 65W H7 bulb. Both are made in Germany.

One thing about comparing H7s - do it somewhere where you have about 100 yards of straight dark road for comparison. Good thing I looked at stock Phillips bulbs first, pulled back into my driveway and replaced bulbs, and then went back to the same place on the road to compare OSRAMs' output.
They are better than stock Phillips 55W but not to the point of saying that you have to have stockers replaced pronto. The spread is little bit wider and OSRAMs have output that is more white compared to Phillips. I'd say OSRAMs put about 20% more light on the ground - output pattern is longer and wider than stock for sure. I also compared the output against garage door and it seems OK so I don't think I introduced any glare that would bother incoming traffic.

Overall I am happy with the replacement. I have a long winter trip to Canada coming up so I will have chance to check them on the long trip as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Got them on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140290419602

They were 48 a pair + s/h. were delivered fast and very nicely packaged, I was really pleased with the way seller took care of making sure bulbs do not get damaged during the shipping - two boxes and bubble package inside. I got two pairs from him - for Beca and for 05 LGT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another place to find them...

Good old amazon for $24 after rebate ($34 before, with free shipping)
I've got Silverstars in my Mazda and they are great vs stock. Also much more reliable than any PIAA bulbs that are double or triple the price.
(I went through about 4 sets of PIAA bulbs before never using them again. They, amazingly, went about 1 month after the 'warranty' had expired. The silverstars have been going for a couple years now; still on the first set, and don't expect to have a need for a second set)

-first post..woohoo

·
Registered
139 Posts
jaycee said:
I just replaced the bulbs today. It's a PITA. My RS's headlights are way easier to change. I had to do it by feel as well. No room even for a flashlight.
Zombie thread, I know...but I just changed both low beam/DRL bulbs in our '06 this morning. The job is made a TON easier by the following:

Driver's side - completely remove the battery. Disconnect the two 10mm nuts holding on the battery retainer, loosen the 10mm nuts on the posts, and rip that sucka out. MUCH better access, enough for me to get my ham fists in there.

Passenger side - remove the snorkus (phillips used to disconnect nylon clippies), remove the MAF from the intake pipe, remove the coolant hose (or whatever that is) from the clip on the driver's side of the airbox, then use a 10mm socket to remove the two bolts at the driver's side bottom of the airbox and nut at the top front. Loosen the hose clamp and wiggle the whole apparatus out of the engine compartment. You can now LIVE in the space you've just created.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts