Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how accurate that Mileage computer is? I filled up and it said 480km (Canadian). I drove it tonight and it started out at 480 and after 7 minutes of driving, it said 420kms!!! And no, I didnt drive 200 km/hr... what gives? Is it just the gas sloshing around and it trying to recalculate on the fly?

The gas needle hasnt moved off of Full yet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It averages out on driving behavior. On fill ups, I can see from 200 to 350 miles left, depending on current and past driving behavior.

·
449 Posts
I found it's not all that accurate compared to really calculating the MPG's It tends to be on the optimistic side.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting since I had a 2001 Pontiac Montana that had a trip computer. It was pretty darn accurate with its calculations and how much gas was used. I would say +-20km over a tank and +-5 litres over 100 litre fillup. 26 gallons for you americans :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't even bother with the MPG count. It's a B9 that takes Premium gas. We just drive it and fill it up when necessary.

We have a Civic when we need to sip on gas.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have something defective.
It costs 1.16 per liter for 91 Octane. Approx 4 liters to a gallon, thats about
4.64 per gallon here. Don't even ask what the 93 octane costs!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
crazycanuck said:
I hear ya, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have something defective.
It costs 1.16 per liter for 91 Octane. Approx 4 liters to a gallon, thats about
4.64 per gallon here. Don't even ask what the 93 octane costs!
The premium here in NJ is 93 octane. I don't think I've ever seen 91 octane before.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
most stations here carry 87 89 and 91, our local sunoco carries
87 89 91 and (my mistake) 94 not 93.

The subaru manual recommends 91.

And its 1.21 per liter for 94. Thats almost $5.00 per gallon

·
Registered
34 Posts
I get about 320-350 miles per tank and I put mid-grade 89 octane in my tank. I live here in Nebraska and the mid grade has E-10 ethanol added. So I'm sure I'm not hurting my vehicle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ironically enough.... nowhere on my Tribeca does it say that it calls for premium fuel. Although here in Utah, the best you can get is 91.

Nevertheless, we just had our first fill-up. We calculated the total gallons divided by the total miles we've driven..... both city and highway.

We averaged 21 mpg...... AVERAGE.

I thought it was only supposed to get 21 on the highway. Not complaining.. just surprised.

Oh yea.... and that was on el-cheapo 85 Octane. We filled it this time with mid-grade (87) to see if we can justify the price increase.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
ninefourteener said:
Ironically enough.... nowhere on my Tribeca does it say that it calls for premium fuel. Although here in Utah, the best you can get is 91.

Nevertheless, we just had our first fill-up. We calculated the total gallons divided by the total miles we've driven..... both city and highway.

We averaged 21 mpg...... AVERAGE.

I thought it was only supposed to get 21 on the highway. Not complaining.. just surprised.

Oh yea.... and that was on el-cheapo 85 Octane. We filled it this time with mid-grade (87) to see if we can justify the price increase.
Sounds good. We've put in 87 once. On the highway, no difference. But for off the line, 87 made it feel sluggish.

·
Registered
119 Posts
ninefourteener said:
Ironically enough.... nowhere on my Tribeca does it say that it calls for premium fuel.
Premium was recommended only for the '06 and '07 models. They updated the engine for '08, and no such statement was needed.

Also, although the mileage appears to be different in '08, the actual EPA standards were tweaked in 2007 (for '08 models), and the mileage is really pretty much comparable, just on a slightly different scale.

-Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
25 Posts
85 vs. 87 octane in the mountain states

Ninefourteener,

Here in Colorado, reg is always 85 octane. The manual calls for a min of 87. Should we be using the mid-grade 87 and pay 10 cents more per gal? I've been getting mixed answers on this topic!

All you high altitude owners, please chime in!!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Seriously? Reg is 85 octane? On the entire east coast I've never seen regular being less than 87...didn't even know there was an 85:Dunno:

I can only guess maybe the lower octane is better at high altitude, but I've honestly never heard anything about that.

On the east coast, regular is 87, mid grade is 89, and premium is 91...some brand stataions do 93 octane too rather than 91. A few Sunoco stations around even offer ultra-premium 94 octane:eek:

edit: forgot to mention about our mileage. I agree that the mpg meter is optimistic, in my experience it's about +2 mpg from what I calculate (mileage/fuel filled). So far the worst I've scene is about 16 mpg will all city driving and 21 on a 150 mi drive up to CT + about 50 miles of local driving. I've yet to do a full tank of highway cruising, but I can't imagine it'd go any better than 22/23. Also so far I've only put in regular 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So far running on 89 for the past 3 fills. No noticable difference in performance over 93.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, we have yet to fill up for a 2nd time.... but we'll see what the mieage is when we do.

Here, there's 85, 87, and 91.

In St. Louis... I could get 87, 89, 91, and 93.

Although there is a place in town that sells 100 Octane race fuel..... for almost $7 per gallon.

I put 1/2 tank in the WRX once. Yes, it made a difference, but I can't justify the price unless I'm headed to the track.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ninefourteener,

Are you running with 85 octane?

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was.... we averaged 21mpg both city and highway.

We filled up with 87 this time.... we're going to calculate mileage and see if the difference in price is worth it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
took a 1000 mile road trip about a month ago. AVERAGED 24mpg on the highway. Was REALLY surprised. I got about 380miles to a tank. GO SUBBY!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts