Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I may be buying a Tribeca this coming summer, so I thought I'd lurk around here and learn some more about them.

I currently own an '05 LGT and a '98 LGT (which my son drives). I've also owned a Justy back in the '90s. I've been very happy with all three Subies so far, so I figured I might as well stick with Subaru for my SUV needs.

I look forward to learning much while I'm here.
SD

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I've really enjoyed my '05 LGT. I bought it used in '06 and have been thoroughly enjoying it ever since. My kids are growing, so I figured I needed a little more space.

I'm leaning towards a 7-seat Tribeca. Are there any gotchas to look out for in either the '06 or '07 models? I'm not sure I want to spring for an '08 unless they offer some pretty good discounts when the '09s start hitting the dealer lots.

I heard that there may have been some minor improvements done to the '07s. Know anything about that?

·
Registered
552 Posts
If looking @ 06/07s, I would lean torwards an 07.

A couple key improvements had been made: aux input in the center console (ie: mini headphone jack to plug in an mp3 player, etc.), navi includes rear backup camera (a big plus IMO), revised suspension (debateable if even better/worse than 06 but doesn't hurt), roll sensors added (deploys curtain airbags in a rollover), brake assist added (monitors brake motion and applies full brake force in an emergency), pre-wired for XM (easily add sat radio), 2 position memory driver seat (on limited), blacked out grill (loses additional chrome, looks better IMHO), OEM remote starter available, OEM cargo cover available (I've heard this is more of a pain than useful, the 06 doesn't have mounting hardware slots, so not an option), special edition package available (chrome mesh grill, chrome wheels, XM, all of which can be had aftermarket too).

The best thing about 08s is the new engine and revised tranny, looks are a personal opinion. The new engine has been bored slightly and stroked to 3.6L (up from 3.0) and has variable intake AND exhaust (06/07 variable intake only) = more hp/torque while maintaining fuel economy and running on 87 octane. The 06/07 requests premium but I've had no issues with 87 thus far (only 2.5 weeks w/ the car). Also the tranny programming is revised for the better, the 06/07s will hunt a bit on hills and acceleration, but the more powerful engine probably helps this out as well. Inside, tip and slide 2nd row added to help getting to the 3rd row, probably a big plus if you actually plan to use the 3rd row. We have 7 pass, but haven't even put the seat up yet, but you'd have to be pretty small and nimble to get back there, LOL.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
SubieDriver said:
Thanks for the welcome. I've really enjoyed my '05 LGT. I bought it used in '06 and have been thoroughly enjoying it ever since. My kids are growing, so I figured I needed a little more space.

I'm leaning towards a 7-seat Tribeca. Are there any gotchas to look out for in either the '06 or '07 models? I'm not sure I want to spring for an '08 unless they offer some pretty good discounts when the '09s start hitting the dealer lots.

I heard that there may have been some minor improvements done to the '07s. Know anything about that?
I believe Snork covered it all. We've been running 89 octane with no apparent issues. I would suggest picking up an 07 as I'm sure you'd get a great deal. IMO, the 08 lacks any style since they revamped the front end.

·
Registered
214 Posts
An addition to the 08 engine, its not a new engine, per se, as Snork mentioned, its been modified.

I like the SE Package on the 07. I did not opt for the 7 seater since the third row is not useable to me at all. I do not feel it is safe either for the toddlers to use. The only thing I miss about the 7 pass are the rear vents.

The prewiring of the auto start ended up being a great addition to me. The range on this thing is above average, even through walls.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yep, same basic engine in the 08, just revised...but they are pretty good revisions:)

I like the SE too, mostly for the mesh grill, never been a big fan of chrome wheels unless they're bling-bling type dubs, heheh:lol: I really wanna get the grill, but I haven't found it for less than $379 which is kinda steep for a purely visual accessory.

As for range, do you really get close to the claimed 400'? Most of the el cheapo aftermarket units are only good for 100-200', especially thru walls. I didn't get it cuz my office parking lot is pushing 400' and I didn't want to waste my money on something that may not have enough range.

·
Registered
124 Posts
snork said:
Yep, same basic engine in the 08, just revised...but they are pretty good revisions:)
njjuliano said:
An addition to the 08 engine, its not a new engine, per se, as Snork mentioned, its been modified.
Actually the engine is totally different. Look at the cut away diagrams below. There are so many differences it looks like it was totally redesigned.

3.0 engine:

3.6 engine:

Quite a bit of difference. This is why stuff like a block heater, etc. are all different.

·
Registered
214 Posts
snork said:
I like the SE too, mostly for the mesh grill, never been a big fan of chrome wheels unless they're bling-bling type dubs, heheh:lol: I really wanna get the grill, but I haven't found it for less than $379 which is kinda steep for a purely visual accessory.

As for range, do you really get close to the claimed 400'? Most of the el cheapo aftermarket units are only good for 100-200', especially thru walls. I didn't get it cuz my office parking lot is pushing 400' and I didn't want to waste my money on something that may not have enough range.
I'm not too fond of chrome, but this was borderline, so I took it. I actually prefer the SE rims on Australia, was it? They were 20s, and sharp. More substance for me, less bling.

My range is surprising. I've been at the back of a restaurant, inside the locker room of the gym, back of the office, and it all started fine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I see all the mods and additions to the block, but I think its the same (EZ) block.

I dont even play a Subaru designer on TV, so take my words with lots of grain of salt.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but from what I understand it's essentially the same aluminum block (EZ) is correct. Since it's aluminum block they changed the cylinder liners to iron from steel (or is it vice versa?) to gain some additional bore, and they changed the connecting rods on the pistons to crank shaft to increase stroke...and as we know bore x stroke = displacement.

The manifolds and cam shafts on the EZ36D are a bit different b/c of the variable intake AND exhaust which adds a bit of complexity, but other than that, they're nearly identical. The EZ30D also looks simpler at a glance b/c they don't show the actual block in the pic, just an outline.

BTW, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night:lol: ;)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
njjuliano said:
I'm not too fond of chrome, but this was borderline, so I took it. I actually prefer the SE rims on Australia, was it? They were 20s, and sharp. More substance for me, less bling.

My range is surprising. I've been at the back of a restaurant, inside the locker room of the gym, back of the office, and it all started fine.
IDK if anyone already knows this, but you can get the max range out of any remote by holding it up to your chin. Basically, you're using your head as an antenna. Give it a try. Go to a distance you know it won't work. Then hold the remote to your chin, depress the button and see what happens. I think some of you may be surprised.

Oh and I'm no mechanic. I was told that if I opened the hood, the warranty would be void. :rofl:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Using your body as an antenna is for real. You can try the same thing with a staticy radio station, just pinch the antenna with your fingers and the signal will most likely improve. And for real, I'm an Electrical Engineer:cool:

Also, those NZ SE dubs are sweet...seriously some of the best looking wheels that fit a car practically perfectly:tup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Wow, I really like that rim. Where can we get those?

I actually tried to import them, and was too much trouble/money. Better to get it from Tirerack, or Discounttire. I havent seen anything comparable.

Looked at the Advans on the Cobb...$800 a piece.:eek:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it.

I already knew about the engine and grille changes for '08, but didn't know anything about the changes from '06 to '07.

The 3.6 engine also has rerouted water jackets so each cylinder gets cooled more efficiently. That change allowed a 1-degree advance in timing, boosting power. The lambchop rods increased the stroke, and the bores were increased slightly to give the extra 0.6 liter.

It sounds like I want to avoid the '06s, unless I get a killer deal on one.

I'll be looking for one this summer. Anyone know when the '09s will hit showrooms? Just curious if they'll be giving deals on the '08s by mid-summer. If not, I'll most likely go '07.

At first, I really didn't like the look of the front end of the '06/7 models, but it has really grown on me. I also like the new design, but it lacks character. It's rather handsome, but not as eye-catching as the old design.

I also made some calculations on fuel consumption. I average about 20,000 miles a year, so if I average 20 mpg, that'll be about 1,000 gallons. Price difference between regular and premium is $.20 (less at Costco). At the same mileage, that means the '07 will cost me $200 more per year in fuel. Since the '08s do a little better on mileage, the '07 may cost me $250 more.

It would take me a lot of years to make up the difference in cost between an '07 and an '08, which is why I'm leaning strongly towards the '07.

Thanks again for the info. It's been quite helpful.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
njjuliano said:
I like the SE Package on the 07. I did not opt for the 7 seater since the third row is not useable to me at all. I do not feel it is safe either for the toddlers to use. The only thing I miss about the 7 pass are the rear vents.
I remember reading a review that mentioned the somewhat restricted airflow in the 5-seater. The author said it's almost worth it to get the 7-seater just for the quicker cooling/heating of the cabin due to the extra vents in back.

From what I've seen in prices on used, there isn't a big difference between the 5- & 7-seat models.

Okay, what I'm most likely going to be looking for is an '07 Tribeca Limited, w/ DVD and Nav, preferably in Burgundy (or whatever name they gave the dark red), or possibly Black.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uh oh, just looked up color options. The Mahogany Red Pearl was only available in '06. Rats! I suppose it's Diamond Gray Metallic or Obsidian Black Pearl (my LGT is OBP).

·
Registered
552 Posts
SubieDriver said:
I remember reading a review that mentioned the somewhat restricted airflow in the 5-seater. The author said it's almost worth it to get the 7-seater just for the quicker cooling/heating of the cabin due to the extra vents in back.

From what I've seen in prices on used, there isn't a big difference between the 5- & 7-seat models.

Okay, what I'm most likely going to be looking for is an '07 Tribeca Limited, w/ DVD and Nav, preferably in Burgundy (or whatever name they gave the dark red), or possibly Black.
FYI, the rear vents in the roof are A/C only. Heat only comes out the floor of the 2nd row. If you turn the rear fan on with the heat on it'll blow cold outside air:eek:

Yeah, price diff 5/7 seaters is pretty minimal. Less than 1k new, and used it's practically no diff.

Not sure why the discontinued the nice burgandy color, but kept the seafoam green for 07:rolleyes: At least they came to their senses and it was discontinued for 08.

Finally, new Subaru model years typically start appearing mid-sept/oct. We got one of the dealer's first 06 Legacy sedans the weekend after Labor Day 2005. So I'd start looking end of Aug. if you wanted a deal on a new 08.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts