Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help diagnosing a front end sound. Creaking noise happens going over a driveway dip or speed bump at slow speed. Also makes the noise on sudden braking. Car was bouncy as well and diving a bit when braking so I changed the front struts. Springs and top mounts looked good upon inspection while I was changing the struts. Car handles much better now but I haven't gotten rid of my noise. Any ideas what else I should look at?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check your sway bar bushings and endlinks.
OK I'll try changing them. I noticed some minor wear evidenced by just a tiny bit of gapping around the bar, but didn't think that would make such a noticeable noise.

·
Registered
547 Posts
generally they make a thud sound when worn, but because they are worn that may create more stress on other components that will make another or a combo of sounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any luck diagnosing this? My '06 has this problem that gets worse as the weather gets colder. I recently replaced the front struts, sway bar end links, and have tried the OEM revised sway bar bushings and now Energy Suspension poly bushings. Creeking is still there going over bumps and when braking.

·
Registered
155 Posts
hmmm...I just did shocks and brakes at 107k.

the upper strut hat on the drivers side had a toasted bearing. the main offender for sure.

the lower control arm bushings and sway bushings where replaced at 60k so they are due...again. I might go with the perrin bushing on the front rear lca this time around.

most of the bushings on the rear links are done/torn/uncentered. new upper and lateral links are ordered and the toe link and trailing link will probably be soon to follow..in it for the long haul.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Creaks and groans

I have replaced everything in the front end. And I still have creaksand groans most notably at slow speeds and less than 5 miles an hour. Never notice it on the highway or around town driving.

Grown is common in turns or or sometimes when you shift momentum from front to back,such as backing into or out of the garage.

Not always there.

The only thing that hasn't been replaced was some sort of bearing( I've heard of it )it's the top of the front struts

This is been going on for 30 or 40,000 miles. Front struts of been replaced all the bushings of been replaced

Anyone have anything similar that they were able to fix?

·
Registered
155 Posts
my strut hat, the upper bearing, was finished.

if you have the tools, pull it out and see if it is smooth and the inner race stays in its plane. the old one was like a gimbal bearing filled with gravel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
strut hat

my strut hat, the upper bearing, was finished.

if you have the tools, pull it out and see if it is smooth and the inner race stays in its plane. the old one was like a gimbal bearing filled with gravel.
I think you have diagnosed my problem,

the grinding popping is mostly noticeable on low speed turns

I will have to get someone to help me, as this is beyond my skill set

thank you

·
Registered
155 Posts
Be safe.

ECS tuning has a nice spring tool available for a couple Benjamin's.

When I was twenty something, I shot a vw rabbit spring through a plywood ceiling...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think the dangers of the strut spring are over stated. Cheap harbor freight compressors are all it takes and a little brain. You need to be aware of the potential danger, but it's no more than, say, using a torch on your car to heat up a bolt or crawling under you car on stands. Most DIYers are completely capable, but a few shouldn't be driving the car never mind crawling around under it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Advice on fit

I found some good used struts 2008 with spring attached and the hat

Will this drop into a 2006? Rock auto shows the same strut number BUT the hat shows a different number. Seems odd

I am trying to go quick and not dismantle spring.

Dean

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rear struts

Is a spring compressor needed to replace the rear struts .
Thanks

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yes, you need to compress the springs to replace the rear struts. It's easy. Harbor Freight has a good price for a set, but I haven't gotten them. Next time I need to do it, I'll get them

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this same issue and before going the expensive route of struts and spring I replaced the bushings on the sway bar as well as the A arm noise has gone away.

Did the swap at home but needed to take the A arms into a shop to have the bushings pressed.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I always use autozone spring compressors, you pay for the tool, use it then bring it back for a full refund. its a decent quality, probably better than HF.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had this same issue and before going the expensive route of struts and spring I replaced the bushings on the sway bar as well as the A arm noise has gone away.

Did the swap at home but needed to take the A arms into a shop to have the bushings pressed.

Exactly what I did a year ago with exactly the same results; however, I only changed the rear bushings on the LCAs... the front bushings (axle running parallel to the ground still had the paint mark on them leading me to believe they might not be original (they were OEM, however), but the guy at the machine shop told me that I was better off saving the $30 on press charges since they don't wear out like the rear bushings do.

The rear bushings, however, were torn up beyond all comprehension... I'm amazed that the rubber was still holding on to the center shaft.

So now I have a pair of brand new, uninstalled front LCA bushings sitting in my parts box. I'm not going to return them now (even though my local parts guy would probably still let me since the same bushing fits 622 model variants b/t '06-'16), so I figure at some point I'll acquire my own press and the bushings will be my excuse to play with my new toy.

Unless someone wants to make me an offer... :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts