Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in a Tribeca?

Now, I am no stranger to Subarus. I was a fan from the first minute of ownership of one of the rarest Subys of the past decade, the 2005 5spd Legacy GT Wagon. That car did many things well, and when I sold it, I knew I would be back to Subarus again (long story about WHY I sold it in the first place, but since it was my Dad that bought it, I still get to drive it occasionally).

So, I have been shopping used Subarus with my primary focus being the 2006-2008 Forester XT. I still haven't ruled it out but I have found myself looking harder recently at the Tribeca. I know the focus is totally different for both vehicles, and yet I think I would be happy with either.

As I do with all big purchases, I have been researching the Tribeca a great deal - not the least of which here :). I have found a few out there in the used marketplace that I like and would like to get the group's opinion on one in particular:

http://performancehondastore.com/used-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=2254dd527f00000101355a470f84087c#

In an ideal world, it would be a 7-seat model, but this still seems to be a good find. I love the colors, the limited trim and the relative proximity to my location (I am in Southern Indiana).

Thanks for any insight/help/advice!

·
Registered
405 Posts
7 seater is only for 2 SMALL kids, 5 seater is good enough.

TRY BRINGING PRICE DOWN ON A NEW ONE, YOU WILL BE SURPRISED!!

Or try bringing the price of the one you are showing above a little lower.

It is a nice car, hope you know how to take care of black cars!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LORE BECA said:
7 seater is only for 2 SMALL kids, 5 seater is good enough.

TRY BRINGING PRICE DOWN ON A NEW ONE, YOU WILL BE SURPRISED!!

Or try bringing the price of the one you are showing above a little lower.

It is a nice car, hope you know how to take care of black cars!
You really think I can bring an 09 or leftover 08 limited down to a similar level?! What sort of deals have people been working out?

About the black - its been awhile since I had a black car. It is the single worst looking dirty and the single best color clean :-D. I think I am ready for the responsibility again ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
your looking at 08s and 09s?
you can get a great deal on 08s and even new 09s if you want a brand new 09, but the 08 is exactly the same as the 09...also you could prob get a really good deal on an 07 or 06, but the 08s/09s have a bigger engine and a few extras here and there and ofcourse the exterior is differnent too..good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
your looking at 08s and 09s?
you can get a great deal on 08s and even new 09s if you want a brand new 09, but the 08 is exactly the same as the 09...also you could prob get a really good deal on an 07 or 06, but the 08s/09s have a bigger engine and a few extras here and there and ofcourse the exterior is differnent too..good luck!
I am pretty much ONLY looking at 08+. There are too many tweaks to ignore, plus I might be flamed but I like the revised front end better ;)

I am not really looking into buying brand new unless I find a killer deal - might as well let someone else pay for depreciation ;)

One of the biggest reasons why the Tribeca makes sense to me right now is what you get for the money - an '08 Forester XT is about the same price.

·
Registered
630 Posts
nice! also you may want to check sites like Craigslist.com to see if anyone has a 08 tribeca..i would check under cars for sale by owner instead of dealer because some dealers on craigs are crap, and i agree, you save alot even buying from a Subaru dealer with the Certified Pre-owned deal. The tribeca is a great car and the newer ones are even better! tho i wish they 08 and 09s has more character to the front :/

·
Registered
630 Posts
:yeahthat:
7 seat is a joke but if you have little kids, or kids who have alot of friends then you might want it just to put people back there legally :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
We put ~60k on a forester XT before trading it in on an 08 tribeca.

The forester was loads more fun to drive. The forester was much more nimble. I miss it. It was a quick little ugly sleeper.

The tribeca is large and feels large in comparison. It drives well and is fairly quick when pushed but it is still fat and slow when compared to a forester.

You can fit a family in a tribeca much more comfortably than the forester. The interior is luxurious in comparison. The whole car feels more refined than the forester.

I feel better after a 12 hour trip in the tribeca. I felt better after a 15 minute romp in the forester.

If you don't have kids, get the forester. Enjoy it. It's a fun ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look, in what SUV you can scratch you beck with left arm without hitting window? I had F-150 before and liked roomy interior. Now in Beca I relay did not miss it. And this is not a racing car, have enough power for regular daily driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good thoughts, everyone, thanks!

I test drove a Tribeca at our local dealer this evening. It was a very barely used (2900mis) 09 Limited but a color scheme that was not my first or second choice. Fortunately, the salesman was very low pressure as our local dealer asking price, before haggling, was over 32k.

Tribeca Pros:
  • Nicest interior of any Suby I have been in - roomy is a good word.
  • Effortless performance, flat torque curve
  • A huge list of features for the $$$
Forester Pros:
  • Quick and nimble, especially for a small SUV
  • Tons of mod options
  • Better off-road
I am focusing on the pros as neither car has glaring cons. I am single, so the family hauling is out of the picture, but I do take frequent long road trips with friends. Its a tough call, honestly. Both are unique rides. I am single, so the family aspect doesn't figure into this.

The quick/fun factor isn't as important to me as it was a few years ago - I know now that one car that does everything to my tastes is an impossibility. My thinking is to get a great car that does the day-to-day well, and get a motorcycle or project car in the near future for the 10% of the time I want to be bad.

Please, keep the thoughts coming, I still haven't made my mind up either way.

On a slightly related note, I will not be cross-shopping the Legacy or Outback 2010 models. Yuck.

·
Registered
630 Posts
well the Tribeca is great for long trips. i have the 7 passenger (not that i even use the 3rd row often) but the 7pass comes with rear air vents which keep the back really cool in the summer, also i like that the news ones have backup cameras, thats a great feature, also memory seat is a nice touch.. whenever i have friends in the car or co workers they fall in love with the interior :rolleyes: also i would not get TAN LEATHER...reall pain in the a$$ to clean!!!!!

but the new forester is pretty nice i've heard, it think its a good single persons car, and it has some nice features the tribeca doesnt..pano roof (somewhat pano) , power lumbar , navi with bluetooth (2010) ....so you can get a forester with some nice features too

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Based on your single/ no kids life, I would say Forester. You can mod it and I think you'd have more fun in an XT Limited vs. a Beca. If I had the cash, I'd get a loaded Forester and turn it into a street STi variation. You can't do that with a Tribeca.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Also the only thing with the Forester..it seems they are giving them away...i see them EVERYWHERE..which isnt a bad thing but kinda intreseting

·
Registered
405 Posts
S.E. 2009 BECA FOR mid to HIGH 20,000's IS very do able.

Didn't like the limiteds small moon roof.

The new OUTBACK looks very sporty as well, FOR SINGLE GUY.
23,000 BUCKS IS price range for new 2009 FORESTER.

Salesman told us with equal equipment it wouldn't have been much difference between Forester and BECA.

OH yea, wife liked the BECA better!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
LORE BECA said:
S.E. 2009 BECA FOR mid to HIGH 20,000's IS very do able.

Didn't like the limiteds small moon roof.

The new OUTBACK looks very sporty as well, FOR SINGLE GUY.
23,000 BUCKS IS price range for new 2009 FORESTER.

Salesman told us with equal equipment it wouldn't have been much difference between Forester and BECA.

OH yea, wife liked the BECA better!!
S.E's have bigger moon roofs then the limiteds?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
S.E.'s don't have sunroofs ;) - that's the feature that is supposed to bump you up to the limited.

If I liked the exterior looks of the 09+ Foresters better, I would be all over it. They really did a fantastic job on revising the interior (I sat in a cloth XT yesterday). I am sure the reason you see them everywhere is because the changes made were more appealing to a wider market.

Outback - Pretty much ruled out. I like the car (up to 2010) very well and respect it, but since I have 2 close friends and a father with nearly the same car... yeah...

2006-08 Fozzie - yeah, still on my mind. I could mod the crap out of it. Either ultimate off-road Suby, or sleeper on-road bruiser the Forester would work. It is precisely for this reason that I am shying away from one right now. I would love to be in a place where I could have a project car and do it right - but I am not there now. I need my next vehicle purchase to be my daily driver and I know myself - I wouldn't be able to resist that modding urge. Well that, and being able to actually find one ;) Sigh.

Heck, I am probably going to have the modding issue with the Tribeca. Even without the deep aftermarket, there are things I want to make my own in nearly any car I get. At least with the big-T I probably won't be discussing fuel maps and turbo timings with you guys...

These are good problems to have.

·
Registered
405 Posts
HA ,HA I call my 07 TUNDRA CREWMAX BIG T.

I guess as far as Subaru goes, it is their biggest, and don't be surprised if they make it SLIGHTLY bigger in future. Like the Legacy!

·
Registered
630 Posts
shomann said:
S.E.'s don't have sunroofs ;) - that's the feature that is supposed to bump you up to the limited.

If I liked the exterior looks of the 09+ Foresters better, I would be all over it. They really did a fantastic job on revising the interior (I sat in a cloth XT yesterday). I am sure the reason you see them everywhere is because the changes made were more appealing to a wider market.

Outback - Pretty much ruled out. I like the car (up to 2010) very well and respect it, but since I have 2 close friends and a father with nearly the same car... yeah...

2006-08 Fozzie - yeah, still on my mind. I could mod the crap out of it. Either ultimate off-road Suby, or sleeper on-road bruiser the Forester would work. It is precisely for this reason that I am shying away from one right now. I would love to be in a place where I could have a project car and do it right - but I am not there now. I need my next vehicle purchase to be my daily driver and I know myself - I wouldn't be able to resist that modding urge. Well that, and being able to actually find one ;) Sigh.

Heck, I am probably going to have the modding issue with the Tribeca. Even without the deep aftermarket, there are things I want to make my own in nearly any car I get. At least with the big-T I probably won't be discussing fuel maps and turbo timings with you guys...

These are good problems to have.
ohhh.
i like the forester but it feels alittle...cheapish..dont get my wrong i love the car, i had a rental from my dealer and i wanted one after that, but it doesnt feel as complete as the BIG-T but then again..they are difffernt cars

1 - 20 of 31 Posts