Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since mine has rotten - anybody knows as cheap as possible replacement?
I am planning to replace whole exhaust system next year - so, I don't want to do custom. Also, I don't want to pay "twice".

Googling offered me, basically, three options
1) mytical "API performance parts" - 2008-2009 Subaru Tribeca Muffler - Exhaust - API, Center 08-09 Tribeca Muffler - 28720-07684536 - PartsGeek - 140usd
+ it is supposed to be plug&play (which, probably, it is not)
- manufacturers website with proper pictures - I couldn't find. This means - I am not sure how bad are bends... (more on this later on Walker option)
This might be best option, but I would like to see it first "in person"...
(this part from subaru is at least 370+ bucks).

2) https://catalog.walkerexhaust.com/c...&methodName=initialiseWalker&partNumber=50366
cheapest thus far. roughly 95bucks. will require - either additional hardware or even welding.
as you can see on a picture - bends are SH!T.

3) supposedly stainless steel, but for this price? :D 450usd.

Walkers option seems closest to my interest, but "quality" of bends are just... just.... just....

So - anybody can suggest any other options?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Walker is fine. This isn't a performance automobile and from the sound I would say that the Walker system flows more. I installed it on mine myself. Hassle free. I didn't like their exhaust tips, too small, so I found a pair of Gibson stainless tips that look similar to factory and fill out the bumper.

I don't know what Walker system you were looking at, but Rock Auto had everything I needed to replace the exhaust from the cat back. No welding involved.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cheapest option would be to remove the resonator before the Y-split and have custom bend into just one muffler. Shop told me they think there would be minimal impact on performance if you went with a wider diameter pipe into the new muffler since the old Y splits the existing wider diameter exhaust pipe coming out of the resonator into 2 smaller diameter pipes anyways. In Canada, full replacement cost with resonator, split and 2 pipes was $1200, whereas removing the resonator and y split and dropping to one muffler would cost only about $800, so 30% savings. There would be an empty cutout in the bumper. J

·
Registered
108 Posts
My entire Walker exhaust from the cat back was $500 shipped. That includes the resonator, intermediate pipe, both mufflers, clamps, etc. It's very easy to install yourself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Turtles_ride my problem is Y joint - it leaks, it cannot be fixed. So - doing custom job, paying 300+ for 1-2years = meaningless.

@tribeca09, even judging by pictures - walker can be fine just if you don't care (because of some reasons - money is tight, "car is not rocketship, it just moves my ass from A to B" or stupidity(also quite popular choice)).

btw - soundwise - after installing this walker thingie - did you get some annoying resonance?

I bought it and wasn't lazy, did some measurements and calculations:
1) original Y pipe. input is 54mm outer diameter (haven't had a chance to measure it's inside - I will assume 1.5mm wall thickness for original pipes), internal crossection/area - 2042.82mm2
output (flanges before rear mufflers) - 43mm outer diameter, area - 1256.64mm2 (because two pipes = 2513.28mm2).
original pipes have, so called, mandrel bents - they don't change diameters (as walker).
so, this Y-pipe spec is IN=2042.82mm2, OUT=2513.28mm2(+23%).
Considering all mandrel bents - I would guess that they did this crossection enlargement for slowing down exhaust gasses and thus them becoming less noisy.

2) now walker....... their official dimensions on their website don't match reality. they state, that IN (inside diameter) = 54mm, in reality it's 52mm (but it is close to original - so, that is ok).
they state that after Y - both pipes are the same as input, in reality - those two pipes are 43..44mm outside diameter(except bends, of course).
even their own catalog picture shows how bad are their bends. whole pipe looks like it has been through hell and back.

now to crossections. as you can see on picture - every single bend is messed up. like all those "fluid dynamics" and other "stupid theories" are not for walker.... :)))

so, let me give you crossection numbers:
IN - 2123.72mm2 (+4% to original pipe )
1st bend - 1898.15mm2 (-11%)
short straight section - 2123.72mm2(+11% = back were we started)
2nd bend - 1898.15mm2(-11%)
3rd bend - roughly the same
bend before Y - 2002.77mm2 (+5.5% - still less than what we started)
bend after Y(2pipes) - 2207.36mm2(+10%)
bend before end flange(2pipes) - 2264.7mm2 (+2.5%)
aaaaaand, finally, opening in flange(2pipes) - 2513.28mm2 (+9.5%)
and it looks like crap - Screenshot

Basically - it's messing with the flow. Since one of main exhaust goals is to evacuate exhaust gasses - it sure is not doing good job there.

I think that this product is made to be cheap as possible and to be able to install it and nobody really cared about any other criteria.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If your Tribeca is not going down the 1/4 mile, which would be funny, I don't know why you are measuring the exhaust diameter in millimeters or care about having pretty bends. You'd pay out the wazoo to get a new exhaust with mandrel bends, and it would be a total waste of money.

The only difference I noticed with the Walker exhaust was the sound, not any difference in performance. And to be clear, I cannot hear any difference in the exhaust sound at all except when driving inside a parking garage, or standing immediately behind the car while it's idling. There's no drone, etc.

I believe you are way overthinking this, but that's just me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’m in agreement with tribeca09. You start the post saying you want the cheapest option possible then you bitch about fractions of millimeters and the way the bends are done. We gave you what you asked for, according to you even stock exhaust replacement from Subaru wouldn’t be up to your standards even though you’d pay through the nose from the dealership.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you guys, clearly, have "tunnel vision" :)))))
dragstrip is not interesting to me as discipline to participate, just one of many measurements.

I need temporary solution. as such - I don't want to spend more than absolutely neccessary(it will get thrown out anyways). Subarus part costs around 370, and looking at original pipes underneath my Tribeca - I don't get the feeling that it is made with "fuck off" attitude. on contrary - bends seem to be mandrel, there are no fluctuations in diameters - larger-smaller-larger-smaller...

overall - I was searching for cheapest solution and wanted minimum "side effects" (quality, performance).

p.s. for your daily dose of vitamin C - ecu has been experimented with, transmission has tuned valve body... and other things in planning :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts