Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get the thoughts of some of you here on my 06 Tribeca. I just bought it last weekend and it's got approximately 61K miles on it.

As usual the finance department at the dealership was pushing the extended warranty really hard. They were trying to sell me their gold warranty for another $3800 on top of the vehicle purchase price. I've never been quoted anywhere close to that for an extended warranty ever. After telling them no about 10 times I was out of there and on my way.

My question is, should I look into getting another extended warranty somewhere else? I checked with Carchex and they quoted me around $1600 for another 60K miles. It seems to be in great shape and was taken care of in the past but you never know. What has been the experience for those of you that have purchased an extended warranty for your Tribeca?

Thanks,
Clarke

·
Registered
152 Posts
I purchased the 100K gold warranty w/ $100 deductible from Subaru when I bought the car. I think I paid ~$1,200, so 3800 seems WAY overpriced to me as well. The only things I've used it on so far (41K miles) is swaybar bushing fix and a transmission firmware upgrade. My navigation screen did got out during the normal warranty period though, and that would have been expensive if it was outside of the warranty.

I'd call them back or call another area Subaru and get a price. You can buy it at any Subaru (think Internet) and the price from everything I've heard (and my experience) is negotiable including the deductible price. Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another KC person here.
Unfortunately I'm not crazy about the local dealers. Two are owned by the same person. The other I have only dealt with over the phone, but comes recommended by others. I bought my first subie from downtown and felt i got a great deal. 2800mi later I found myself replacing the same car. (deer impact and rollover) I did $1750 better in Lincoln, NE. No hassle, no BS, no pressure to sell me anything. When it came time to find my Tribeca, I went to MN and got a fantastic deal. We had looked for a used one locally, but found overpriced models and dealers unwilling to deal at all. One dealer let us test drive a unit that had drug paraphernalia in it. (Really?!?)

Great advice so far...... Look around the internet and search for subie warranties. You will find big price differences.

·
Registered
630 Posts
usually extended warranties are b.s except for the paint defect on the tan/gold 2006 tribecas..it helps there and i guess some major services like the bushings and such..but even then its still isnt really worth $1200 and deff not $3800!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You can buy the extended at any dealership. Email or fax for quotes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heath568 said:
Another KC person here.
Unfortunately I'm not crazy about the local dealers. Two are owned by the same person. The other I have only dealt with over the phone, but comes recommended by others. I bought my first subie from downtown and felt i got a great deal. 2800mi later I found myself replacing the same car. (deer impact and rollover) I did $1750 better in Lincoln, NE. No hassle, no BS, no pressure to sell me anything. When it came time to find my Tribeca, I went to MN and got a fantastic deal. We had looked for a used one locally, but found overpriced models and dealers unwilling to deal at all. One dealer let us test drive a unit that had drug paraphernalia in it. (Really?!?)

Great advice so far...... Look around the internet and search for subie warranties. You will find big price differences.
I actually got mine at a local Honda dealer, everything was great except for the finance process. I think the finance guy might have been bitter anyway because I was able to get a 3.5% rate from my wife's credit union so they didn't get to make any money off me there. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the warranty yet, I might just start my own little warranty fund in case something does happen. At least the money will still be mine if something doesn't.

Also, thanks to everyone else here that replied with suggestions, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Clarke said:
I might just start my own little warranty fund in case something does happen. At least the money will still be mine if something doesn't.
Best. Idea. Ever.

Seriously, though - as a devout reader of www.consumerist.com, I acn tell you that many people would agree with you. If you don't already have a high-yield savings account, I've been happy with my ING.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In most cases buying extended warranty is a waste of money but it does give you a piece of mind, and some will consider $1200 as a good deal just for that. I just got my Legacy GT Ltd. repaired by a Subaru dealer under Gold Plus, even if the problem was taken care at an independent shop my cost would be around $700 more than I ended up paying. I originally paid $1700 (turbo is extra ~$400) for the plan, so I'm still a bit over 1k negative considering a hypothetical interest I could earn, but have 2 more years not to worry about (almost) anything. $3800 is definitelay a rip-off, but anything under $1500 range may be well worth it, depending on how you look at it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My '06 Tribeca's head gaskets blew at around 75,000 miles. The engine had to be taken out completely, gaskets and other soft parts replaced, they also fixed a torn CV boot and replaced a malfunctioning CD changer. On top of all of this, they gave me a loaner 09 Forester for the full 2 weeks and in the end I didn't have to pay a penny thanks to the extended warranty. Without it it would've been several thousand dollars where I might have been better walking away from it. Bottom line, get an extended warranty but yes you can shop around as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
HB_Dad said:
My '06 Tribeca's head gaskets blew at around 75,000 miles. The engine had to be taken out completely, gaskets and other soft parts replaced, they also fixed a torn CV boot and replaced a malfunctioning CD changer. On top of all of this, they gave me a loaner 09 Forester for the full 2 weeks and in the end I didn't have to pay a penny thanks to the extended warranty. Without it it would've been several thousand dollars where I might have been better walking away from it. Bottom line, get an extended warranty but yes you can shop around as well.
I dont mean to threadjack, but I'm intrigued as to why the headgasket went (just random defect?) and what signs first presented themselves when this happened.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Got a quote for the Gold 7yr/ 100k w/ $100 deduct for $1295 or the same w/o deduct for $1461. I think we're going to do the $1461.

Thoughts about the price?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks reasonable, try calling another dealer and ask them if they can beat this price. I paid $1450 for the same plan with $50 deductible, but I didn't shop around, just purchased it with the car as the price seemed about right.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Magic Marker said:
$100 deduct for $1295 or the same w/o deduct for $1461.
Sounds to me like you're paying $300 up front for $100 more insurance. I'd do the deductible thing myself, but either way you'll be covered.

·
Registered
192 Posts
awd_envy said:
I dont mean to threadjack, but I'm intrigued as to why the headgasket went (just random defect?) and what signs first presented themselves when this happened.
In short, when I would idle for a good period of time with the A/C running (about 5-10 minutes or less if after a long drive), the temp gauge would slowly climb up above the normal halfway point all the way to the top.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Got a quote for the Gold 7yr/ 100k w/ $100 deduct for $1295 or the same w/o deduct for $1461. I think we're going to do the $1461.

Thoughts about the price?
I did better:
Finance Manager at the dealership where I bought my Tribeca B9 in New Hempshire gave me 7 years/100K Gold for $1,395.00 with "0" deductible. I will make 10 payments of $139.50 from my CC. I am posting his name and his phone number with his permission - feel free to call him and discuss whatever you need to discuss. I am not affiliated with them in any manner and doing this just for our B9 community. His name is Joe (603)382-7101 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (603)382-7101 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
There is no sales tax in NH so you can save this way also. Your car must be within 3 years/36K in order to get this warranty

·
Registered
29 Posts
Only thing I can add is to buy the extended warranty from the dealer. I originally bought mine directly from Subaru, and dealer told me to swap it over to one I bought from him. Price was actually better than from SOA. And always get GOLD or higher. The lower coverage policies don't cover much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Extended Service Contracts

The most important item to know about extended service conracts is who the provider is. Do NOT ever buy one that is not provided by the manfr. ALL others range from fair to worthless. Price: all are negotionable. For new Subarus you have until 36K miles or 36 months, whichever comes first to buy Added Security, in other words until the basic factory warranty expires. For used Subarus you must buy at delivery. Ask yourself, if buying a used vehicle, if you have a major repair, say $3000.00, would it be a hardship.
All other members, just remember the only one worth buying is Added Security, backed by Subaru. They are in this business only for your satisfaction, not for any profit as ALL others are! I know this subject well. Hope this helps some. Jim

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sweeney100 said:
The most important item to know about extended service conracts is who the provider is. Do NOT ever buy one that is not provided by the manfr. ALL others range from fair to worthless. Price: all are negotionable. For new Subarus you have until 36K miles or 36 months, whichever comes first to buy Added Security, in other words until the basic factory warranty expires. For used Subarus you must buy at delivery. Ask yourself, if buying a used vehicle, if you have a major repair, say $3000.00, would it be a hardship.
All other members, just remember the only one worth buying is Added Security, backed by Subaru. They are in this business only for your satisfaction, not for any profit as ALL others are! I know this subject well. Hope this helps some. Jim
I can not agree with Jim. I had extended warranty by company called "warrantybynet". My Isuzu Vehicross required several very expencive repairs (including all 4 shocks replaced at $416 per shock plus labor - yes, they were expencive KYB performance line) NONE of other companies did cover shocks (including Isuzu Extended Plan) - I am not even sure if Subaru will cover shocks (I have Gold Extended plan). 3d party extended warranty was about twice cheaper than one from the manufacturer, so it really depends on the company. The only inconvenience there was - I had to pay for repairs with my credit card and they would send me a check in the mail 2 weeks later. By no means I am suggesting people to go and by a 3d party extended warranty - all I do is sharing my personal experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Extended Warranty (Extended Service Contract)

I appreciate your experience and feel as if you were lucky. Google Warrantybynet and you will see the problems others have experienced. I am not on a mission here but I do know that these companies come an go quickly.The BBB in Brick (their headquarters) has a list of complaints on Warrantybynet and now say the company is out of bussiness. People have for years started these types of business, collected a LOT of money, close them down and reopen again, over and over. Check the AG in St Louis and you will see what I am talking about.
Sweeney 100

1 - 19 of 19 Posts