Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wow, that totally sucks what you guys are going through:( Unfortunately I think your best course of action is to either involve the Better Business Bureau or pursue the Lemon Law. I have found the BBB the only way to quickly resolve warranty repairs for my brand new Whirlpool washing machine ($800) and laptop. Obviously not quite as expensive as a car, but the BBB is bag check minus against a company/dealer and will often spark a fire in them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some expert opinion!

Well this situation just plain sucks!!!!:eek:

Let me shed some light on what I see in the industry as a former technician, now general manager.

You have been lied to on at least several visits. Firat off al computers tha comply with OBDII, which is any car/truck under 10,000 Lbs. built for model year 1996 or newer alway stores codes and freeze frame data for future diagnosis. This may not happen for anthing that is not engine or transmission related.

Most if not all dealerships pay their technicians soemthing called flat rate. Think of it as you getting paid $XXX for a broken finger ot heart bypass. If you take too long to do the repair/procedure you loose money, but it you find a shortcut that doesn't kill the patient you can make a lot more money by performing more procedures. This means in many cases the technician has no incentive to spend the time to correct your problem. It also means that mistakes happen like overfilling your transmission fluid.

The dealer is not always the best place to have you vehicle serviced like many people believe. As an example I will give you a short story about a VW issue. VW and Audi have had many issues with oil sludging causing serious engine damage. Currently they have both issued service bulletins about their oil standards and even have a very nice customer handout explaining that all the oils that meet the specific VW or Audi stadard are synthetic based oil and further goes on to state that not using the correct oil can cause very serious and expensive engine damage which is not covered by the warranty. I had one of my customers tell me she called the VW dealer and they told her I was wrong and that her VW took regular oil and did not require synthetic oil. As I could not believe what I was told I conducted a series of calls for an oil change on a ficticious 2005 VW Passat. Only one out of three VW dealers in my area told me that my vehicle require synthetic oil, but when pressed told me I could put in regular oil but VW doesn't recommend it. That is just plain stupid!!!, but if an engine blows up under warranty and the services were all done at the dealer, the will find a way to get it covered by VW. On the other hand if I/We changed the oil as an independant repair facility they would require proof that we used the correct oil or blame the failure on us.

So you're asking, how does this pertain to me? Well first off every time the vehicle is brought in for any service you should recieve a copy of the repair order with ALL the work that was done, warranty or not. This would be your paper trail. Secondly you shold be cahnging you oil and filter no less than every 3,750 miles because you drive the vehicle under severe driving conditions which any one of the following put you into:
1) Driving when it is over 90 degrees
2) Driving short trips - under 5 miles
3) Driving when it is under 32 degrees
4) Driving on salted or deiced roads
5) Driving in dusty condition
6) Driving at high speeds for extended periods - think 75-80 for 30 minutes
7) Stop and go driving
Here in Connecticut most drivers hit every one of these, you may only hit 1 or 2. Oil sludging on a low mileage (30K) vehicle is not normal unless you don't change it enough or shop for the least expensive oil change.
As far as the diagnostic procedure the technicians appear to have followed, they are very poorly trained to diagnose a 1996 vehicle, let alone a state of the art vehicle like the one you and I both own.

The first step is ALWAYS, verify customer's concern, with a road test with the customer if needed. Second, after connecting the diagnostic test equipment, document all code and freeze frame information(A snashot or all the pertinent sensor data when the failure occured) Third, perform any and all related test procedures and repair any problems found during diagnosis. Then and only then, clear the codes and road test to confirn repair. Post final road test check mode 6 data(a screen to see if another failure has been seen and may possibly illuminate the MIL(check engine light) ater returning to customer.

It appears the technician skipped the first three steps and the final repair verification step. This is not my definition of a quality repair.:confused:

On to the brake concern, I have not seen this repeat problem happening. Our B9 has 36K and as far as I know the brakes are original. I am going to guess that at 24,000 miles when they warranteed your brakes, they replaced yourbrake pads and resurfaced the brake rotors. I can tell you from experience that the technician could very easily have not machined the rotors properly or not cleaned up the rust on the mating surfaces on the vehicle. The other thing that causes warped rotors is over tightening the lug nuts. The problem doesn't show up for 5-10,000 miles if this happens. ALL modern vehicle need to have the wheels torqued to the right specification and in the right order. Mant technicians take their impact gun and crank the lugs down way too tight. Most torque specifications are 80-110 foot pounds and the typical impact gun is capable of delivering 400+ foot pound of torque.This is another area where tring to beat the clock can deliever a less than perfect job.:confused:

You may have indeed gotten a lemon, but just as likely you have had a string on bad dealership personnel at multiple dealers. If you need an outside opinion/diagnosis I could most likely find you a prperly equipped and trained service facility to get to the bottom of this. You would need to pay for this diagnosis or second opinion as I would not be refering you to a Subaru dealer. But you would at that time have a honest 3rd party giving you their expert opinion as to what is really wrong with your B9.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same issue!

*On November 23, 2007 we encountered a problem with our vehicle including the check engine light on, traction control light on, and cruise control light flashing suddenly appearing.*

Just happened the other day... Can't wait to see if I get the same verdict!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow, just wow.

So far so good on our B9. We have a pretty good relationship with our dealer and the service department. When we had our accident I called the dealer, they picked up the car, dealt with insurance and fixed it.

We are also going to purchase the gold extended warrenty for both our Subies in a few thousand miles. I hope things work out for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts