Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday and error message of ER HC displayed on the odometer display.

The engine temperature gauge was lit all the way to the H area.

I stopped the car. The engine was not overheating. The water/antifreeze tank was low so I added a bottle of water I had in the car.

No more problems since I started up and drove on home. I will get some antifreeze and fill the overflow tank to the appropriate level.

Anyone know what the ER HC display means?

Has anyone had this happen?

MY '06 37K

·
Registered
552 Posts
Since the temp guage was lit all the way up, my guess would be "Error High Coolant" temp. Since the car didn't actually seem to be overheating, your thermostat might have just gotten stuck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
While researching a problem with my wife's beca, I ran accross a service bulletin for various communication problems including your concern. If it happens again it should go to the dealer. I also found another for certain models with vin cutpoints needing a coolant flush due to contamination with chlorine.

It may be worth it to make a quick call to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Digging up old thread here from a search.

Driving home from Disney World over the weekend. Cruise control set at 75ish and I see the gauge is pegged full hot. I pull over to check and all seems well. Nothing hot at all.

Off again and after an hour I see it hot again and the dash is throwing the ER-HC code. Stop again and it all resets.

It pops up one more time, but I then drive the last 700 miles "code free".

I've seen several mentions of the ER-HC code on the web and how it relates to a computer issue, but never a real follow-up as to the disposition.

Anyone familiar with resolution of this gremlin?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any news on the this ER HC and temp gauged pegged at Hot

My car died on the highway and I can not get it to run again.

ER HC is showing up in the odemter and Temp gauge is also hot.

3,000 miles ago I did the timing belt and thermostat, I'm wondering if thats somehow related.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine just did it today. It has been running strong since the engine install in April, never ran hot, even over the summer with both a/c's running in city traffic. We drove about 4 hours, mixed highway, city and back road driving. Went from back road 55mph roads to highway 75 mph and it coded out within 2 miles with "ER HC" and temp gauge maxed. I immediately pulled ovrer, fearing for the life of head gaskets, popped the good, no boiling sounds, coolant recovery tank was at the full line and did not feel above normal temp. I jumped back in it, turned ignition on and the temp gauge was at normal range, was probably 5 minutes since shutting off. I hooked up the laptop with the free-Ssm program and watched temps, ran at 95-96 degrees Celsius, solid, fans worked perfect, a/c did not change temps, everything was fine after, another hour's drive and did not do it again. Anyone seen this problem since these other posts? Car has 233k miles, engine has 85k, pretty sure it was just a random sensor or communication glitch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts