Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Subaru has error codes P0016 , P0018 , P0021 , P0028 , P0128

I replaced the oil with 5w-30 which is what the oil cup read I used a high mileage (non synthetic if that matters) and well as a new oil filter.

I also replaced the intake valve solenoid on the drivers side.

And put some engine cleaner in the oil, gas cleaner in the gas, and coolant cleaner in the radiator.

I don't have an expensive machine to tell me what's wrong

Symptoms
1 - 5th gear does not accelerate.
2 - the engine light is on ( obviously ) the cruise light blinks and traction control light is on as well
3 - when braking I get shakes ( might be an alignment problem however when I reset the codes with my jobs reader I can use cruise control but when I accelerate the lights come back on and my Tribeca runs smoothly until the lights come back on

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advanced

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Okay, let start and the beginning.

Before you started this, was the MIL lamp on? (Malfunction indicator lamp Or check engine light)

You say you put oil clearer in the oil?
Was this before or after the oil change?
Cooling system cleaner, how long did you leave it in there before removing the thermostat and flushing the system out with water?
What type (Brand) of fuel system cleaner did you use?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Time to spend 15 bucks for a Bluetooth reader. It is money well spent for the codes that came up and cleared by this and never came back. 2 trips to the mechanic for code diagnostic could run you into the 1000s.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Honestly this could be a number of things. I suspect a ground issue, and would start with verifying the health of the battery, the ground of the battery to the chassis and the grounds to the engine. The coolant temp sensor is the odd man out, and makes it look more like a ground/cable issue than a mechanical issue.

You already have the code scanner, so that's about 90% of what you need. If you want real-time data from these sensors, you can get a $30 cable and romraider. Go over to subaruoutback.org and check out the FreeSSM thread, it will explain how to do it if you want to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I second the battery/ground issue. My 2006 B9 TRIBECA has the same indicator lights and acceleration issues. I would have to very slowly accelerate to about 35 mph, then the car started running normally again, but some of the indicator lights still flashed. The ABS light flashing would stop I believe, but the sport light kept flashing and the check engine light was on.

Anyways, after getting a bunch of codes related to the transmission, I brought it into a dealership. They got a code related to the tire pressure sensors. They checked the sensors and all were working fine.

I suggested something electric. I asked if maybe the battery was bad. The mechanic said that the codes wouldn’t make sense for that, but that we could check. The battery was fine, but the terminal ports were badly corroded. The car wasn’t gettin g a good enough signal from the battery. We cleaned it up, and it worked great. I ended up replacing the terminal connectors because they were so flimsy and damaged, and haven’t had similar issues since. It’s a cheap and easy check/fix that’s worth a try!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts